Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 49 of 101 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 100 101
Re: the wine thread
HomeDad #191026 01/08/08 03:40 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: HomeDad
Our Vinturi arrived today. So for the occasion I grabbed a 2004 Via Vega Red wine of Paso Robles out of the cellar and let it get to room temp.
The owner is the former Red wine maker for J. Lohr Winery in Paso Robles. This is a bottle that we always decanter being that it is fairly young and strong . The varietal make up is 46% Mouvedre, 42% Touriga Nacional, and 12% Souzao. As soon as the wife got home I grabbed two identical glasses and sent her into the dining room and popped the cork. One glass through the Vinturi one glass straight. I brought the two glasses to my wife, and with one sniff into each glass before even tasting she picked the glass that had been through the Vinturi. I asked her to taste the wine and tell me what she thought, After tasting she again chose the Vinturi glass and said "This is how the wine's supposed to taste" I then tried both glasses and had to agree, the Vinturi did in seconds what it can take a decanter up to an hour or more to do, it took the bite out of a young wine and made it immediately drinkable. We were both very impressed with this nifty little gadget.

Ah now if only you had used a third and fourth glass and she picked out which two were identical in pairs, you would have had me sold.
Oooh, just that close!!

Anyone got a Vinturi for loan?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
tomtuttle #191028 01/08/08 03:49 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Fascinating discussion.

I've always wondered if the loss of alcohol through evaporation was a major contributor. I'd subscribe to that.

Well after a day of being open to air, more empty volume in the bottle and room temps, some alcohol will evaporate creating a 'softer' wine.
Adding any energy to the liquid will do the same (e.g. the blender concept). It would also greatly expose every little molecule to the outside world (increase surface area, increase reaction area).

Quote:
I liked very much your mention of environmental change factors being more than just exposure to oxygen. I think there is a pretty fine line between "aeration" and "oxidization", though.

The assumption is that air is oxygen when air is composed of other elements/biotics as well. Microbes for one. People apparently think dust mites only crawl.

Quote:

I'd submit that there is such a thing as "too much" aeration, but I wouldn't know where to begin to measure it.
And this is the tough part of environmental chemistry. How can you really measure it when dammit, we are talking about the whole environment being part of the reaction here?
Heat, light, elements, biotics, abiotics and most importantly, time. Variables so hard to control.
I tried to stop time once, my eyes went crossed.
Came back though.

Quote:
Like Mike, I am NOT a scientist.
Perhaps not by training but certainly in heart and spirit most people i know have a curious side to find answers and that's all a scientist is, other than being armed with 10 years of academic text shoved in the brain.

Quote:
Also, don't forget about the impact of light. I'll bet decanted wine under hot lights tastes different than decanted wine in the dark, if you know what I mean.

Actually i was thinking more along the lines of photolytic reactions but ok, heat and dark will work too.

chesseroo #191030 01/08/08 04:04 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Quote:
Ah now if only you had used a third and fourth glass and she picked out which two were identical in pairs, you would have had me sold.
Oooh, just that close!!

Always the scientist \:\)
That's a great point though, I wish I had done that. We'll try again in a couple days, I'll open 2 bttles and give her a 4 glass test with both, now if I can get the kids to bed early that night it may be more than worth it. \:D

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
chesseroo #191040 01/08/08 04:57 AM
local
local
Gnarly Head's zin is one of my favourite, moderately priced zins ($16-17 here). I describe it as an "in your face" red fruit (jammy) wine with modest tannins. A very versatile, easy drinking wine. If you are looking for a zin that might exhibit a modest difference from decanting (I'm in the "decanting makes a positive difference with reds" camp), I think the Gnarly Head would be a good choice. If you are looking for a zin that is more likely to be affected more obviously I'd recommend a zin with more tannins like the Four Vines "Old Vine Cuvee" zinfandel ($20 here). To my pallet it's more reserved than the Gnarly Head with smooth layers of black berries and a hint of spice (probably pepper) and its taste changed more from glass to glass.

I look forward to reading about the results of your experiment.

HomeDad #191075 01/08/08 03:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: HomeDad
I'll open 2 bttles and give her a 4 glass test with both, now if I can get the kids to bed early that night it may be more than worth it. \:D

Now there's a man who knows his priorities.
If only tempting the wife with buying new audio equipment would elicit the same results...

PaulM #191077 01/08/08 03:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: PaulM
Gnarly Head's zin is one of my favourite, moderately priced zins ($16-17 here). I describe it as an "in your face" red fruit (jammy) wine with modest tannins. A very versatile, easy drinking wine.

I would agree with that overall impression. On the upside it is easy to find here.

Quote:
If you are looking for a zin that is more likely to be affected more obviously I'd recommend a zin with more tannins like the Four Vines "Old Vine Cuvee" zinfandel ($20 here). To my pallet it's more reserved than the Gnarly Head with smooth layers of black berries and a hint of spice (probably pepper) and its taste changed more from glass to glass.

I would have to look around for this one.
 Quote:

I look forward to reading about the results of your experiment.

You and me both.

chesseroo #191081 01/08/08 03:54 PM
shareholder in the making
 Quote:
If only tempting the wife with buying new audio equipment would elicit the same results...

Romantic comedies have been working like gangbusters for us me. ;\) I'm 3 for 3.

pmbuko #192421 01/15/08 07:55 PM
Thought this might be of interest to everyone. I posted it in the wine thread, but I expect it applies to the beer thread, to the audio threads, and maybe even to the video threads...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #192431 01/15/08 09:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Interesting read, Ken. Sounds like this theory could be applied to consurism in general.

Just goes to show you how powerful our minds are. If only I can learn to harness that power. . .I'd take over the world.

Edit: I guess the power of suggestion would be more apropo.

Last edited by St_PatGuy; 01/15/08 09:31 PM. Reason: added stuff

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #192434 01/15/08 09:47 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
This is why blind tastings are so fun. I’ve participated in several, and when done right, the results can be pretty interesting. I can’t even pick out my “favorites” most of the time. It's also interesting to me that folks who normally do not drink wine always pick the ones that have a huge nose and are fruit foward.

Page 49 of 101 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 100 101

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters