Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 63 of 101 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 100 101
Re: the wine thread
michael_d #208549 05/19/08 10:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: mdrew
And I doubt I can get much more than you can locally. I belong to several clubs that ship the stuff to me.

You don't know the power of our provincial liquor boards.
The key word is 'stranglehold'.

I would love to be able to buy wines from a place like wine.com but such Canadian outlets do not exist. Wineries in different provinces technically cannot sell to individuals in other provinces. You either travel to buy it or buy what the local stores are allowed to stock.
If i were to buy bottles from the US, there's that border and shipping issue.

If some Canadian national wine club were to organize, buy local wines and ship them to their 'members', i have no doubt it would be considered as breaking numerous liquor laws in some way.
I still don't have a very good handle on how all our liquor laws works.
Compared to the US, our booze is far more pricey and less plentiful as surprising as that may sound.

So does your company have an office in Winnipeg by chance? ;\)

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
michael_d #208564 05/20/08 02:16 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Quote:
but at $2000 a night I think I’ll pass.

Ouch! I never realized the place was that pricey, I've walked around the grounds and had wine there, but I guess I won't ever be staying there either.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
michael_d #208576 05/20/08 05:11 AM
shareholder in the making
I always make a point of stopping by the Selby tasting room when I'm in Healdsburg -- which is sadly now a very rare occasion. Another winery I will always hit in that area (Russian River, actually) is Porter Creek, on Westside Road. Their syrahs and pinots are always quite good. They also do a mean viognier.

pmbuko #208619 05/20/08 04:46 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Sorry to hear that Chess. That really sucks…..

You go to Healdsburg often Peter? You must have eaten at Cyrus then? That’s currently my favorite restaurant in the world. If you haven’t hit the Jordon winery, you might want to put it on your list. I love their wines and are in Healdsburg. Another fun winery in that area is Hook and Ladder. Great inexpensive wines and they like to pour……

michael_d #208623 05/20/08 05:00 PM
I used to go at least once a year, but that's when I lived in Northern California. Never been to Cyrus, though.

pmbuko #208712 05/21/08 03:35 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
They also do a mean viognier.

Viogniers CAN be mean!

Quote:
Sorry to hear that Chess. That really sucks…..

Maybe we should start up our own cross border wine club. I can pass along some hard to find Ontario and BC wines...then there's that damn border again!
There's a rumour that even wines need passports now. \:\/

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #214219 07/03/08 02:42 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
For my belated birth day get together, a couple friends of mine conspired with my girlfriend and decided to have an all day wine drinking event with an early evening dinner. They dropped by early in the afternoon with several bottles while the little lady whipped up a great dinner. The dinner was a cold tomato soup made with fresh tomatoes, a whole bunch of other stuff that I noticed in the pot and in the middle was king crab and other stuff in it. I’m not sure about the cold part, but it taste pretty darn good. After the soup was a smoked prime rib with a great red wine reduction sauce.

We played a few hands of poker while trying the different wines. I think I lost enough to pay for all the wine……

From left to right:

98 Mudbrick from New Zealand. This was a bottle my Kiwi friend smuggled over in his luggage a few years ago. It’s a cab sav and malbec blend. Very nice bottle of wine…..
92 Dunn Petite Sirah. This one has some serious cellaring tannins going on. Once you get by them, it was very good.
98 Opus One. Always a good bottle of wine. I doubt this one can get much better if anyone’s sitting on a 98. Drink it now…..
01 Cain Five 1.5 ltr. We had this with dinner. Outstanding bottle of wine. It’s a blend of five berries – 52% cab sav, 20% petite verdot, 14% cab franc, 9% merlot, 5% malbec
02 Lamborn Platinum Vintage Zinfandel. This was by “gift” and I just couldn’t bring myself to open it. This is my all time favorite bottle of wine and they are down right impossible to find any more. I love Lamborn zins, but this has to be the best one they’ve ever produced. I put this one in the zin cooler for another day.
04 Lamborn cab. This is their second vintage of cab sav. It is a wonderful bottle of wine. Slightly less powerful nose than their first vintage, but a bit more of a finish.
98 Jordan cab. I like Jordan and the 98 ready to be drank. Very mellow for a cab with a nice crisp, clean fruity nose. Great bottle.

michael_d #214295 07/03/08 08:30 PM
Uncle Mike, when can I come over?

pmbuko #214307 07/03/08 08:51 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I have a spare room. Whenever it's good for you. Fishing season is getting in full swing now. Payment can be in the form of some good bottles I haven't tried yet and tune up my PC's.

michael_d #214334 07/03/08 11:58 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Since I was sick most of the week of my bday, I treated myself to a trip up to wine country on Monday. Went up to the Russian River Valley and came back with the following:

1st stop, Porter Creek Vineyards:
'05 Fiona Hill Pinot Noir - very fruity and floral, a bit on the simple side but well balanced
'05 Reserve Pinot Noir - Very 'earthy' and green (I'm trying to incorporate words that Gary Vainerchuk uses on his wine show), with a kind of mineraly finish that is quite different to most Pinots I've tasted
'06 Old Vine Zin - I don't actually remember any particulars on this one other than that it was good enough to buy. \:D

2nd stop: Balletto & Dutton Goldfield (2 different wineries sharing tasting rooms):
06 Balletto Chardonnay - very nice, nothing spectacular but the price was right ($15)
06 Dutton Goldfield Pinot Noir (Dutton Ranch) - really nice. More full bodied than either Porter Creek Pinot, almost Zin-like but more floral

3rd stop: Iron Horse Vineyards
04 BDX-3 - Blend of Cab Sauv, Cab Franc and Petit Verdot. Very tasty! Nice depth and quite smooth

4th stop - Hartford Family Winery (jackpot!):
05 Land's Edge Pinot Noir - wow. Incredible depth and complexity, all wrapped up in a silky mouthfeel and great overall balance. Makes me wish I hadn't bought a couple of the other pinots so I could've gotten some of the other Hartfords
06 Highwire Zin - Another knockout. Huge fruit but well balanced at the same time, strong structure with good tannins.

Out of the wineries I visited, Hartford was by far my favorite. All of their wines were oustanding, I tried 2 other Zins that were both of the same caliber as the highwire, and 2 other Pinots that were also both incredible. Looking back, I probably should've skipped Porter Creek (even though it's a sentimental favorite) and come back with a few more from Hartford.

I also stopped by Martinellli but they were already sold out of their fantastic Guissepe and Luisa Zin, and none of their other offerings really moved me.

Page 63 of 101 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 100 101

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters