Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 36 of 101 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 100 101
Re: BFC Club
michael_d #95737 03/02/07 10:05 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I have a few of those red topped KJ chards. good stuff, but I think the 2004 is MUCH, MUCH better than the 2005.

Re: BFC Club
michael_d #95738 03/02/07 10:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Kim Crawford makes some excellent wines although the sav blancs from NZ tend to be on the pricey side.

There's nothing like a good big fat chardonnay. I prefer the oak flavored as opposed to the unoaked. It is amazing how much a chard tastes more like a riesling without the oak.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: Back to the reds
chesseroo #95739 03/05/07 03:52 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Adding to the wine list.
A $15 bottle of Santa Rita Reserva cab sav 2003.
Heavy, dark flavours (tobacco, dark cherry and berry with a bold, spice finish) but quite pleasant. I was expecting it to be more harsh overall but for a generic Chilean cab, it was very good.
A little roast beef, some roast potatoes and caramelized onions, carrots and parsnips rounded out the dinner. Dessert included a chocolate lava cake in sugar crusted ramekins .

Fantastic.

chesseroo #95740 03/10/07 02:40 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I'll have to confess once again to liking the barrel-fermented chards. Just had a Columbia Crest Grand Estates that was like a plate of butterscotches, but very nice. Room for both styles, I reckon.

I'll take a gander for that label, Chess. The wine looks good even if their website was apparently composed by the same guys that do the Chinese speaker sites.

bigwill2 #95741 03/11/07 06:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Columbia Crest Grand Estates that was like a plate of butterscotches, but very nice. Room for both styles, I reckon...

Absolutely. I've only had a handful of non-oaked chards so far and most were Cdn. I just haven't found one to be impressive.
Columbia Crest makes some lovely chardonnays too but i have not had the GRAND estates version.
It sounds, well, grand.

Quote:

even if their website was apparently composed by the same guys that do the Chinese speaker sites.

Those damn....website compromisers!!

bigwill2 #95742 03/17/07 11:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've been meaning to ask - are our fellow quaffers south of the 49th parallel as in to 'alternative packaging' wines as we are these days? Our provincial liquor store is at about 5% alternative packaging wines now - everyday bevvies in tetra packs, or unbreakable 'glass', or just cork-free offerings. Is that catching on down there? (Not for anything you'd cellar, just for everyday drinking).

Amie #95743 03/18/07 10:53 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
You mean like Black Box wines Amie?

----

Has anyone been to the V2V wine tasting in Napa?? Or, is anyone going? I hope to go this year with a couple frinds of mine.

-------
Please join the Stags Leap District Winegrowers
for its annual Vineyard to Vintner: "On the Trail of
World-Class Cabernet" as our vintners and winemakers
share their hospitality, say a heart-felt thank you to old
friends and welcome new ones to the neighborhood. V2V is a
day for those just discovering fine wine and those who have been
collecting for years. It is a day of swirling and sipping, learning
and laughing. Spend an intimate day meeting our vintners,
attending private open houses, tastings and seminars.
Then join us for a fabulous evening and dinner at
the renowned Stags' Leap Winery.

For event details and to make reservations,
visit our website. Tickets are limited and
reservations must be received by
Saturday, April 7, 2007,
so don't delay!

Amie #95744 03/19/07 03:39 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've seen several different box wines as well as small bottle six packs of wine, not sure if the cork free bottles will ever catch on here, I was surprised when I purchased a $40.00 dollar bottle of Two Hands 2005 Brave Faces Shiraz from Australia and it had a twist off cap. I'm sure the cork sniffers would'nt find it very appealing. It feels a bit cheap to me. Everyday drinking I don't mind, but if I'm paying over $20.00 dollars I want a cork

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #95745 03/19/07 04:52 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I've had quite a few screwcapped wines, too -- mostly imports. I wish there were more. But I do like the sound of a good cork pop.

HomeDad #95746 03/19/07 04:12 PM
D
veteran
veteran
D
HomeDad - liked your cork sniffer remark, although those who do "sniff" corks, miss the mark as to why they are presented corks at restaurants and probably don't know as much about wine as they think they do. One is not going to determine if a wine is good by sniffing a cork, although there are scents on the cork you will not get a full picture of the wine until you smell it and taste it in the glass. The cork is presented to an individual at a restaurant for inspection for two main reasons:

1. To confirm the wine is actually what you ordered.
2. To determine that the wine has aged properly and the cork does not show signs of rot, drying out, or leakage, which all indicate a poor seal and are a good indication that you should examine your wine when tasting for signs of oxidation/taint.

Point one developed when there was widespread abuse over a century ago of restrauntuers re-using famous bottles/vintages and filling them with their own wine and charging a premium for those who ordered them. One way for wineries to prevent this deception was to print their names on the corks, so that when the bottle was opened you were virtually ensured you got what you ordered (it's almost impossble to re-cork a bottle with a re-used cork without signs of use and wear).

Point two is pretty self explanatory.

The cork may always have it's place, but I think industry wide the move is going to continue toward screw caps and this is actually industry/consumer driven.

Imagine if 1 out of every 12 Axiom speakers sold was defective. There would be customer outcry and if not corrected, Axiom most certainly would go out of business. However, in the wine industry, nearly one out of every twelve bottles that is sealed with a cork is sealed incorrectly. This goes for winereies of every level. So if you buy a case of wine, odds are that one of the twelve is probably tainted, however you have no recourse. You can't return the bottle to the winery for a new one. And the wineries know this and basically have you over a barrell (pun intended).

How does that make you feel if you have bought a nice bottle for a special occasion and it's undrinkable? Or imagine if you are a collector and you purchase cases of First growth Bordeaux or cult California Cabs which will set you back hundreds of dollars per bottle? So compared with other consumer goods and standards of quality, wine has been slow in the uptake of new tech.

The industry is exploring other sealing/bottling techs. that seal better than cork, and sealing processes that are cleaner and ensure there is less chance of taint by TCA and other environmental factors/microbes, etc.

So enter the screw cap. It seals better and studies show it holds it's seal as well or better than cork over time. Of course you lose the presentation/romance associated with opening a bottle with a cork, but you are more likely ensured the wine you bought is going to taste the way it was supposed to taste.

DL
Page 36 of 101 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 100 101

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020