Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Passive preamp?
#97827 06/04/05 11:31 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
A few months ago I ordered an integrated amp from Odyssey Audio. When I got it all hooked up, very little sound came out--put my ear next to the speaker with the volume cranked all the way up, and could barely hear the music. Sent it back to Klaus at Odyssey, and he decided to upgrade me to separates at no charge (he even threw in a couple of very nice interconnects). Well, I finally received my amp and preamp and hooked it up today. My question is--what exactly is a passive preamp? What does it do differently (good or bad) from a regular preamp?

One more question--What do I connect the HT bypass inputs to on my H/K receiver?

Thanks for any input, guys.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Re: Passive preamp?
#97828 06/05/05 06:21 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Hmm, maybe I can answer my own question.

From what I understand, sort of, a passive preamp is more affected by the input impedance of a CD player and its output impedance into the amplifier than an active preamp. The interconnects also need to be of a relatively low capacitance so that the source can "drive" the signal through the passive and into the amplifier. I hope I have that right. I am no electrical engineer, but I have read a few books (I sound like a Holiday Inn commercial). So, the act of changing the volume actually affects the resistance of the input and output impedances.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I have no idea what I'm trying to explain. Maybe someone else with more wisdom and experience can chime in.

Bottom line--a passive preamp (in theory) will add no coloration to the sound because it is simply passing the signal from the source into the amplifier.

Anyway, still curious about the HT bypass. . .

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters