Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Re: 7 Channel Amps
#99172 07/13/05 03:57 PM
devotee
devotee
Just got clued in recently. Funny thing is that I have only been introduced to Axiom audio fairly recently through a review comparing them to Monitor Audio speakers. It is a shame that I ended up purchasing a pair of Monitor Audio GR-60s prior to finding Axiom speakers. I will, however be purchasing Axioms to complete the surround sound system.

I came across the board this week "by accident" researching 7-channel amplifiers.

What I would like to buy and what would pass the WAF are two completely different points of view. It has to be good quality but affordable. My options have so far included Anthem PVA-7, Adcom GFA-7607 and Rotel RMB-1048 (low power but a well-built room will compensate). The trick is finding a good source where there is not so much mark up. I was also looking at the Rotel RSP-1068 and Anthem AVM-30 (does not pass WAF due to price).

#99173 07/13/05 04:13 PM
ratpack Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Bruce: do you have any requirements for HDMI switching, or inclination to want/ use internet upgrading, or any use of USB/ IEEE Firewire ports?

If so, you might want to consider one of the newer receivers with separate mono-block amplifiers for the fronts and center.

Bug has done something like this and I sure am thinking about the new Yahama RX-V4600 receiver with three Outlaw 200 W amps. Haven't totally made up my mind yet, but a combination like that sure looks nice.

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
#99174 07/13/05 04:14 PM
devotee
devotee
I have one friend who has no idea about stereo equipment, but valued my opinions and tastes enough to purchase similar equipment. He told me he could not hear the difference between certain speakers (sometimes I think I envy him for that...it would certainly save on the bank account). Regardless, he ended up buy the same brand of speakers (at the time I had Mirage M3-si speakers and he purchased the M7-si). I had moved from a house to an apartment with my wife so the M3-si (135lbs each) had to go into storage at her parents place (for 3 years!). In that time, my buddy wanted to buy my speakers from me and it wasn't until we moved into another house (small at 960 sq ft) where I realized that space was too much of a premium. I ended up selling my M3-si speakers to my buddy (they were just broken in!) in order to "downsize" to the Monitor Audio GR-60s.

He wanted the speakers only because they matched his existing speakers in form (the new Mirage speakers were a different build and shape that were not to his taste).

I loved the sound of the Mirage for two-channel music since they created a pseudo-surround experience which made you feel like you were at a concert. However, after a while you realize that, while it sounds great, it is a very diffuse sound and not localized. That is, I found it detracted from the surround sound experience with multiple speakers. I decided to go back to conventional forward firing speakers.
So here is a perfect example of one person's opinion.

I have another friend who loves his Mirage speakers (uses Rotel equipment) and will not go to a surround system because he is happy with the pseudo-surround type of sound.

To each his (or her) own. That being said, I too also like to hear discussions about different equipment and people's experiences. There is always a better mousetrap out there but with so many different opinions to draw on, it can help one to narrow down the choices (ever pick up an equipment guide from Audio magazine -HUGE! - so many numbers to look at).

#99175 07/13/05 04:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

That being said, I too also like to hear discussions about different equipment and people's experiences.

Bruce, to make things easier just send me your MA GR 60s, and I will post a review.

Don't worry, you'll get them back.

Eventually. . .

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#99176 07/13/05 04:34 PM
devotee
devotee
I have considered HDMI switching. At least, my yet-to-be-built media room will have conduit in place to accept cabling. The new Anthem AVM-30 (soon to be released) will support HDMI (as well as an increased price tag). That is my ideal but at $4000 Cdn, it is too pricey.

I had purchased one of Yamaha's top of the line receivers once (Prologic model) and was disappointed with the sound (having come from an Adcom 535II). It is my understanding that Yamaha has come a long way with their processing and they are not dull and lifeless as they used to be. Unfortunately Ihave not had a chance to audition one of their new offerings (a little gun-shy perhaps after my first experience).

I have been hearing some good things about the Outlaw amps. I am not sure if my GR-60s will like being paired up with one but the value is definitely there.

That brings to mind another point of my own experience. Having demoed some equipment at my local "audiophile" shop, I listened once to the Anthem AVM-30, PVA-5 and the Paradigm reference speaker system. I was blown away. To me, that was what home theater should sound like. I brought my wife in a couple of weeks later to listen to the same set up however they replaced the Paradigm reference with Monitor Audio Silver series speakers. I was not as impressed. I had come to the conclusion that the only offerings from Monitor Audio that I do like are the Gold series. However, the point was to impress on my wife the difference and impact that really nice equipment can have on the home theater experience. She was impressed but I don't think she approved of the price tag - followed up with a quick, "that's nice dear, can we go now?").

The sales rep even mentioned how one customer had replaced his amplifier with an Adcom and his wife (who did not normally care about home theater) noticed and did not like the difference. When he immediately replaced it with the Anthem amp, she loved the sound.

In my past experience, the Adcom 535-II was a VERY nice amp (I think it was only 55W per channel). In stepping up to the 545 or 555 amps, they were a little more "harsh" (Danger Will Robinson - opinion alert) sounding. I stuck with the lower power and nicer sound.

#99177 07/13/05 04:43 PM
devotee
devotee
They are indeed nice speakers.

I think I am biased. When it comes to speakers, I will only look at or buy from those companies made in Canada or Europe. There was one time I would not look at Paradigm as they used to build (load) their cabinets in such a way to colour the sound (made them a little bass heavy). Their new speakers (Reference Series, in particular) are very nice (have you seen their center channel? It's HUGE). The downside - price. Once again, my hat is off to Axiom.

#99178 07/13/05 05:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I haven't heard the GR 60s, but did listen to the GR 20s. I didn't listen for long though, I knew I couldn't afford them and didn't want to become "attached." What finish are your 60s in?

#99179 07/13/05 05:04 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Oops! Didn't mean to steer this thread off-topic, but then, when do these threads ever stay on-topic?

#99180 07/13/05 05:54 PM
aficionado
aficionado
if anyone is looking for a decent 7 channel amp, they may wish to look at Sherbourn. They have numerous different options and have a 5 channel amp available (that I own and enjoy) that you can add an extra two channels to in the future.

"Chickens don't clap."
#99181 07/13/05 06:01 PM
devotee
devotee
They are the cherry finish. I was tempted to go for Rosemah but I wanted a lighter finish to stand out more. Mind you. NOw that I see the Axiom Boston Cherry, I wish I had gotten the Rosemah finish.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters