Re: M60 vs M50 + M2 decision
#99580 06/21/05 02:14 AM
wgriel Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Hey brigman, thanks for the response.

In reply to:

If you don't have a lot of cushy wall and floor treatments (do you have carpet / rug ?) then you might find the 50s are a better match for the room acoustics. The 60s are a little more "forward" than the 50s.

The 50s might be a better match here then. It's a fair sized room with hardwood floors and a lot of glass (though there are drapes). There's a small rug, a couple of leather sofas and a large stone fireplace at the opposite end of the room.

Given all that though, the Paradigms do sound quite good in here and I'm not disappointed with them in any way. In fact one could ask why I'm bothering to upgrade (I know my wife has ), and I guess the answer is simply that I've got the bug, I've got a little money and well, you know how it is

In reply to:

Are the living room, dining room and kitchen "all one room" or do they just have passageways between them ?

They are kind of in between: the living room is connected to the dining room via a passageway, but there's also a "partial" wall that has what looks like a big window without any glass in between (kinda hard to describe, but it's mostly open).

The dining room is completely open to the kitchen but there's a bar separating the two.

My music preferences are primarily: Jazz, blues, classical and a bit of rock (though less and less these days - I am severely disappointed with the quality of some of the rock recordings today...)

Bill

#99581 06/21/05 02:17 AM
wgriel Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
In reply to:

I tried to match the customs to the wood in my room... that was also a mistake! If you're going to do that, make sure you compare in all lights... my speakers don't match the entertainment center at all!

Thanks for the heads up on that! Do you know if Axiom will send out veneer samples in advance? It would be great if I could run those by my wife before I get myself hopelessly in trouble!

#99582 06/21/05 02:29 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
It's not veneer; it's vinyl even with the custom finish. They will send you samples if you call them and pay a nominal fee, which will then go towards the purchase of your speakers.

No, I don't actually work for them.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#99583 06/22/05 03:52 AM
local
local
If you go with the M2's for the kitchen, are you going to play them at the same time as the M50's or 60's or on thier own? I ask because the frequency response of the M2's drops off considerably below about 70 or 80Hz so don't produce too much base on thier own. If you run them with your floorstanders that combo might work really well with the larger speakers filling in the base.

If you plan on running them on thier own I'd suggest the M3's. They are almost the same price and go lower. Unfortunatley they are a little larger and not as easy to place unobtrusively. You can wall mount all the bookshelf speakers with the FMB (full metal bracket) that axiom sells.

Samples of the stock speaker colours are free. Just call the toll free number and they will have them to you in about 2 days.

cheers - Paul

#99584 06/22/05 06:16 PM
wgriel Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
In reply to:

If you go with the M2's for the kitchen, are you going to play them at the same time as the M50's or 60's or on thier own?

Hi Paul,

thanks for the thoughts. I would play them at the same time hooked up to the same receiver (the 50's or 60's on 'A' and the M2's on 'B').

I presently have something kind of similar with different speakers so I know that the bass from the living room does make its presence known in the kitchen. And I do need small speakers for the kitchen! Even the M2s are pushing it, but I don't know that I can get good sound out of anything really tiny, and I don't think that in-ceiling or wall speakers are likely to sound great.

But, no matter what I do the speakers in the kitchen are going to be positioned sub-optimally. It's not a huge deal though since I'm not doing any serious 'critical' listening there - that will happen in the living room.

Thanks for the info on the finishes - I'll call for a few samples.

Bill

#99585 06/22/05 06:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My suggestion, and one that "I" like because it's just exactly what I have-is to go with a pair of M50s for mains, and a pair of M3s for the other set!(But yeah, the M3 is, unfortunately, a bit larger than the M2)

They sound nearly identical to each other and the M3s are a great Stand-Alone pair. In a small space they work very well without a sub.(I swapped out my other speakers in the dining room system with my surround M3s the other day to see exactly how they work, and they are a wonderfull speaker in that application!) I even had another post just last night stating that my future plans are for M3s in the dining room AND, later, in the kitchen! Really!!

M3s and M50s are not for everybody, but for those predisposed toward that type of sound, they work just great!

Hey!! Something to think about!!
Rich.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082