Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Time to stop using antibacterial soap...
#381596 08/15/12 02:09 PM
pmbuko Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
A recent study has shown that triclosan is bad for you and the environment.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/science/...uscle-function/

Here are some excerpts if you're the TL;DR type:

Quote:
exposure to triclosan disrupted communication between two proteins crucial for proper muscle functioning, causing failure in both the heart and skeletal muscle cells.

Quote:
After being exposed to concentrations of triclosan equivalent to those found in the wild for 7 days, the minnows were significantly worse swimmers than minnows that hadn’t been exposed to triclosan, and were less effective in swimming tests that simulated the the act of evading a predator.

Quote:
the FDA has declared that there is no evidence that using antibacterial soaps with triclosan confers any more health benefits than simply washing with conventional soap and water

Re: Time to stop using antibacterial soap...
pmbuko #381600 08/15/12 02:21 PM
So I need to be concerned about my swimmers?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
pmbuko #381602 08/15/12 02:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Interesting. Thanks, Peter.

Quote:
the FDA has declared that there is no evidence that using antibacterial soaps with triclosan confers any more health benefits than simply washing with conventional soap and water
[/quote]

I've known this for a long time. Problem is that most people don't wash their hands properly.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
pmbuko #381604 08/15/12 02:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Can you even buy non-antibacterial soap any more?

(Hmmm.... NON-ANTIbacterial... Double negative... Two negatives cancel each other out...)

Can you even buy bacterial soap any more? laugh

Farewell - June 4, 2020
pmbuko #381605 08/15/12 02:24 PM
Honestly, I'm more concerned about the increase in antibiotic resistant bacteria because of people's obsession with antibiotics in EVERYTHING.

It's not good to waste your defenses against an opponent who will ALWAYS learn to circumvent them with enough exposure.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ya_basta #381606 08/15/12 02:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
Interesting. Thanks, Peter.

Quote:

I've known this for a long time. Problem is that most people don't wash their hands properly. [/quote]

People think that the antibacterial stuff instantly kills bacterial on contact, which isn't true as you mentioned. It still takes time and scrubbing for (a lot) more than the typical 5 seconds that most people seem to wash their hands. It is more like they just rinse their hands and there just happens to be some soapy bubbles involved.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Ken.C #381608 08/15/12 02:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
Honestly, I'm more concerned about the increase in antibiotic resistant bacteria because of people's obsession with antibiotics in EVERYTHING.

It's not good to waste your defenses against an opponent who will ALWAYS learn to circumvent them with enough exposure.

That is why I don't put antibiotics on minor cuts/scrapes (only a bandage and that is to keep blood off of things). I regularly injest all sorts of dirt and dust while working on home projects, don't get too worked up by a metal nail, screw, staple puncturing my skin (unless it is really old or rusty).

It isn't that I don't care, but I think that my body has a built in resistance that other people don't have because of the over-sanitization of themselves and the world around them.

Sure, I clean up what I call chicken juice from cutting up uncooked poultry, but I am sure that I am still exposing myself to it more than I realize and I am not getting sick from it.

I do more deep cleaning just for the sake of things being clean. Killing germs is a biproduct of that. Others kill germs as the primary goal, and things getting clean just happens in the process.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
pmbuko #381610 08/15/12 02:40 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
the human body contains as many parasites as there are people on earth.
some would love to see all microbial life dead forever, anywhere and everywhere.

i think that a good reason for people to act the way they do - scrub and scrub and scrub - is that the "enemy" is invisible, so it can be everywhere (and it is).

we would be quite surprised if we could see clearly everything that floats in the soup we live in, like if it was snow falling on the ground.

pmbuko #381611 08/15/12 02:49 PM
I saw the original "War of the Worlds" when I was a kid.

I LIKE viruses and stuff.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Ken.C #381612 08/15/12 03:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Ken.C

Yup. I get UTI's all the time and put up with the side effects for a while as I try everything I can to get rid of them autonomously. Problem is that my stubbornness in concert with my comprised system has resulted in me coming very close to going septic. It's not good when you can't talk properly and fail to form a simple sentence.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters