Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
HD editing system build....
#291103 02/07/10 05:54 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
It looks like I'm making the move to hi-def video production this week. Funny enough, the "corporate" guys like me are pretty much the last to do so. Consumers are shooting HD, the wedding guys are shooting HD because their customers can buy a BD player for their home, and, of course, the broadcasters are doing it. But the corporate guys like me don't have much market for it yet: Boardrooms don't have BD players, and a training or sales video doesn't do you any good if no one can play your BD discs in their office.

This time, instead of purchasing a turnkey system from a local integrator, I'm considering building my own based upon this build recommendation. These guys have a good reputation and don't sell most of the stuff on this list, so it seems they "don't have a dog in this fight"...(I hate that phrase!) and won't be biased.

Anyway, I've never built a computer before and have some reservations, despite the fact that many of you have done it and describe it as easy. I'm spending so much time making this big changeover, if I have to teach myself the advantages of different motherboards and learn bios settings, I'll just pay someone else to build it for me. But, it seems that an equivalent turnkey system would cost at least double the $2K they estimate this system to cost, so I like the idea of just using the components of their recommended build.

Does anyone have a any general thoughts regarding building computers in general or sites that they particularly recommend to beginners? I don't even know how to get started other than getting the hardware into the case!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: HD editing system build....
MarkSJohnson #291107 02/07/10 06:27 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
Mark, as long as you are comfortable with the the physical assembly of the components I can't really see an issue. Put together a decent configuration and you're set. The biggest learning curve for you IMO is going to be the video editing software. They can get complex, even for what may seem simple tasks.

#291108 02/07/10 06:33 PM
That all looks pretty reasonable to me. I don't know much about that motherboard; I used a Gigabyte mobo in mine, but for what you're looking at, it's pretty much the same. I also might want a faster processor (maybe a 950?), but that would bump up the price by a few hundred. Video wise, I haven't a clue about pro cards, so...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#291110 02/07/10 06:38 PM
OP Offline
I'm sorry, I should have explained that I've been editing 20 years. I just don't want to go back to the same turnkey builder, as all the post-service he touted never materialized. Plus, in his case, I think he would charge 4X what this build would cost!

I still might be looking at hardware acceleration boards, which would add another $1k ~ $3K. My current editing systems each have Canopus Storm cards in them, and I think I'll miss real-time capabilities, which I wouldn't expect from the screamer outlined above!

MarkSJohnson #291113 02/07/10 06:41 PM
OP Offline
Ken, I'm not worried about spending more. Even with that build, I would likely go to an 8 TB Raid. I just need something fast, but bulletproof!

MarkSJohnson #291154 02/07/10 08:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm one of those consumers who shoots, edits, and watches HD.

I wouldn't go with a Quadra video card unless the software you're going to be using absolutely requires it. While NVIDIA is a must, for their CUDA platform, which nearly all accelerated software uses, the standard consumer cards are a quarter of the price, and have exactly the same performance.

I used Hitachi Ultrastars in my last machine, but am back to Seagate Barracuda drives in my current system. Nothing wrong with the Hatachi, but they're not really price competitive (both cost within a few dollars of each other), but the Seagates are much easier to find. Be aware that in a RAID0 config, if you lose one drive you lose all the data in the array.

My build (which is a bit more expensive, but considerably more powerful) goes like this:

Supermicro Case, Powersupply and Motherboard (has on-board RAID 0,1,10 (5 with an unlocking button from SM)).
2x Six-Core AMD Opterons (if you can find them at a good price, otherwise 2x Quad-Core Opterons).
As much of this Crucial RAM as you like (up to 64GB), installed 4 modules (8GB) at a time (2 in each CPU bank).
1-8x Seagate Constellation if you can find/afford them, Barracudas otherwise.
1-4x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, 4 of them will probably get you better than real time compression of 1920x1080 H.264 video with CUDA accelerated software, so sprinkle them in to taste.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #291157 02/07/10 08:43 PM
"A bit more expensive." Heh.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #291183 02/07/10 10:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow. I'm convinced that the next time I need help with anything technical, I'm phoning ClubNeon.

Maybe I can send him some cash and keep him on retainer?!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #291203 02/07/10 11:39 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I love the geek posse around here. You guys are awesome.

Mark, totally roll your own. You won't have a problem building it yourself.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
medic8r #291217 02/08/10 01:57 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The favorite part of my job at work is spec-ing out, and assembling purpose built computers. I wish I could do it more often. So if anyone does want help, please ask (I take payment in Blu-ray Discs \:D ).

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457