Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Serious for a change
#408616 12/07/14 02:03 AM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I lost a friend today who fought to live harder than than any hero in any movie you could watch.

So why am I posting this. I'm assure you that I'm not looking for sympathy. I actually want to share with those of you who have become my friends here, something amazing. (No, this is not a religion plug.)

Before Steve developed this final complication that took him away, he wrote a pretty amazing book about his 25 year battle with cancer and every possible medical complication you can think of.

The book is not what you think either. He talks about his multiple comas, waking more than once to a priest giving him last rights, the hardships his family faced but he never looks for sympathy. He is brutally honest about sometimes being an asshole to those trying to help him. Some of it is insightful, some of it is artful, some of it is funny. Other parts are just pure Steve, love him or hate him.

If you or someone you love is facing or has faced cancer (sadly undoubtedly all of us) then I highly suggest you read this book.

Nine Lives Plus One

I'm posting this here and in a bunch of other places to help preserve and promote what he wanted to leave as his legacy. Well, everywhere except Facebook. He was in marketing and always remember that he once said, "As soon as you advertise something on Facebook, it gets a tiny poopstain on it in peoples subconsciousness."

Thanks for reading this.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: Serious for a change
Murph #408617 12/07/14 02:26 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
I'm sorry for your loss, Murph! 25 years is a long time to contend with life on its own, without the presence of cancer. I can't imagine.

CV #408621 12/07/14 05:23 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Sorry to hear about the passing of your friend Murph.

Some of that stuff sounds familiar from my ex's brother. He could be a real ahole to the people he was closest to at times.

I can't imagine going through what they did. I think those were the few moments of vulnerability in some otherwise incredibly tough individuals. The ultimate expression of their frustrations as it were. We survive, where they did not.

Be thankful for what and who you have. Be thankful that the miserable things that happen in your life dodn't kill you and that you still can enjoy.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Murph #408625 12/07/14 05:47 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I think many people have more friends in these situations than most others realize.
I've had long time friends who have had leukemia, other cancers, serious car accidents, suicide and become quadriplegic (not including anyone on these forums).

Life is random and fragile.
It is hard and impossible to do perhaps, but "live every day like your last" has merit.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Murph #408629 12/07/14 06:59 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Originally Posted By: Murph
I lost a friend today who fought to live harder than than any hero in any movie you could watch.

So why am I posting this. I'm assure you that I'm not looking for sympathy. I actually want to share with those of you who have become my friends here, something amazing. (No, this is not a religion plug.)

Before Steve developed this final complication that took him away, he wrote a pretty amazing book about his 25 year battle with cancer and every possible medical complication you can think of.

The book is not what you think either. He talks about his multiple comas, waking more than once to a priest giving him last rights, the hardships his family faced but he never looks for sympathy. He is brutally honest about sometimes being an asshole to those trying to help him. Some of it is insightful, some of it is artful, some of it is funny. Other parts are just pure Steve, love him or hate him.

If you or someone you love is facing or has faced cancer (sadly undoubtedly all of us) then I highly suggest you read this book.

Nine Lives Plus One

I'm posting this here and in a bunch of other places to help preserve and promote what he wanted to leave as his legacy. Well, everywhere except Facebook. He was in marketing and always remember that he once said, "As soon as you advertise something on Facebook, it gets a tiny poopstain on it in peoples subconsciousness."

Thanks for reading this.

Is it available in paperback?

brwsaw #408630 12/07/14 01:05 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
yes, it's in paperback. just click on the box that says paperback rather than kindle

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
Murph #408631 12/07/14 03:37 PM
O
onn Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
O
Sorry to hear about your loss Murph.

Murph #408640 12/07/14 11:52 PM
As others have said, Murph, I'm sorry for your loss.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MMM #408651 12/08/14 04:15 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
It didn't show on my S4. I did look and did find it.
Hoping to glean some form of reality check from the read.

Murph #408652 12/08/14 12:58 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks everyone. As I said, my purpose was not to look for sympathy but to promote the book as his legacy. None the less, I truly appreciate your thoughts and will absorb your wisdom.

That's why I hang out here. Although it certainly seems quieter than it used to be, this is still probably the only online community I frequent that actually feels like a community.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters