banana plugs v spades v pins
#2497 04/09/02 03:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All, I was wondering what everyone's feelings were on using bare wire (ouch), banana plugs, spades, or pins. I just got my Epic 80 in and am waiting on my Sound King 12gauge to come in and was just wondering which one people like best and which brand/model they use...thx

Re: banana plugs v spades v pins
#2498 04/09/02 05:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Anonymous,

it has been my experience that unless you use very good terminators, bare wiring is actually a great solution. I compared bare wire to banana plugging on my system, and there was a difference. Bare wire sounded much better.

I hear Kimber and Cardas make good spades and banana's, but don't my word on that. This is just what I have heard from other places on the net, and not with my own ears

give bare wire a try, you never know...

#2499 04/09/02 07:59 PM
J
regular
regular
J
I aws goign ot get some monster quick connect banana plugs. No tools needed and they don't pull out. A coworker jsut got some and like them. I am probably only going to use them on the receiver end because of the cable managemnt is easier that trying to use bare wire or spades in such a tight area. Probably leave bare wire on the speaker end.

#2500 04/09/02 08:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Jonesr,

yes, I know what you mean by managing the speaker wire in the amp. It's very hard to get the bare wire inside the amp! But I managed, I was sick of using the banana plugs. I did notice signal loss. Plus, I save money by not having to buy 5 pairs.

It is also a very good idea to bare wire the speaker. Axiom speakers are terrific for bare wiring!

If you get the chance, try putting one speaker completely bare wire and one with the banana plugs, and hear the difference. Tell us what you think!

#2501 04/09/02 11:14 PM
old hand
old hand
I too am using Soundking 12gauge wire in my system. I terminated the wire with Dayton Audio banana plugs. They are easy to use and everything sounds great. And they are fairly inexpensive. At partsexpress.com you can pick up a four pack (two black/two red) for only $6.95.

Enjoy!

Onkyo797
M22 mains
VP50 center (looking to upgrade)
Mission 77DS surrounds
older Infinity sub
Acoustic Research interconnects

#2502 04/10/02 01:12 AM
old hand
old hand
b-man,
Thanks for the heads-up on the banana plugs... great price for a good product.
Rob

lando
#2503 04/10/02 11:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The ultimate answer is that it will depend on the ease of connection you require. While all methods are capable of providing sound transfer, mechanical stability is another matter. Properly connected to the cable, the connectors you mention will all be suitable.

The ease of connection portion is such that if you plan to move pieces around - reconnecting many times - you may want to look at banana connectors - they can be manipulated with one hand. Spades are a little more difficult and time consuming.

Standards are another issue, as spades are not made to a single size standardization. Banana's are closer to standardized, but not completely. This is important because you require a solid connection. I have seen people tighten the binding posts and sheer the lesser brands off of the speaker cabinets requiring repairs to the speakers - not a good way to treat your speakers!

I would be very hesitant to leave bare wire exposed and connected. This is more from a safety prospective than audio quality. I also suggest using proper soldering techniques when assembling the cables and connectors. This ensures proper mechanical and electrical stability. Brands are somewhat similar, and you can buy cheap or expensive models. Pins are a lesser choice in my opinion. WBT makes an excellent range of connectors.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044