Print Thread
Rate Thread
Speaker and Receiver Selection
#7886 01/11/03 03:25 PM
KC_Mike Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
This is my first post. Within a month, I plan to purchase Axiom towers, surrounds, and a center channel. I already have a Paradigm sub that I will be using. I finalized my decision to go with the VP150 for a center channel but cannot decide between the M50 and M60 towers. I should probably note that I intend to use the system for both music and home theatre...but my focus is more on home theatre. Moving on, I am looking for input/advice/opinions as to which tower will better serve my needs. What does the M60 offer over the M50? Comments from those that have heard both would be appreciated.

My second dilemma is which surrounds to use. I cannot decide between the QS4 and QS8 model. The only thing I have been able to discern is that the QS8 requires a more powerful source as opposed to the QS4. Again I am curios as to what the QS8 offers over the QS4?

For a receiver, I have been considering the H/K AVR525 (70w x 7)and the Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX (100w x 7). The Axioms, as I understand it, can easily be powered by either one of these units. I like the idea of discrete power supplies on the H/K which the Pioneer does not have. Howerver, after doing research on the H/K, I have some doubts about their reliability (not their sound quality). Some people have told me that the Pioneer will have a more 'warm' or 'American' sound as opposed to a more 'tinny' sounding H/K. Sounds strange to me, but I am admittedly a newbie to higher end audio. I would appreciate any comments people might have in regards to Pioneer Elite receivers vs. H/K.

Sorry this post is soo dang long. Thanks for listening.

Re: Speaker and Receiver Selection
#7887 01/11/03 05:40 PM
veteran
veteran
KC_Mike, I too face the same dillema you do. I'm looking at a complete system, after a fire destroyed everything I had. But the tower I was leaning towards was the M60, due to it's extra speaker for midrange sound. The QS4/QS8 I would go with the QS8 because of the tweeter. I'm also thinking of a complete M2i system with sub. I've been scouring the internet lately about receivers too, I like the Pioneer Elite series, also the Onkyo TX-SR800 sure looks good, it's newer and has I think more features than the Elite's. The Denon AVR3803 sure looks nice too. I found this web site with great pricing http://www.legacyaudiovideo.comthe Onkyo is only $794.00 and the Denon is $844.52, they also carry the Elite series. As far as H/K goes, I'll share this experience with you...I was in CC last summer during a recent hot spell, their AC wasn't working all that well that day, the sound room was very warm. I wanted to listen to some speakers and when the salesman went in to help me, every H/K receiver had shut off. Now I had heard rumors that H/K ran hot, but I was astonished that every single one had turned off, while the Onkyo's and others purred along happily. He merely reset them and they came back on...but still, it wasn't that hot in there, and he went on to say how they never turn off their equipment. I don't know if the H/K protection circuit is very sensitive, or it's true they run very hot, but it turned me off on H/K.

#7888 01/11/03 06:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
KC,
In regards to your speaker choice, M50 vs. M60, Randyman did a personal review some time ago but it seemed to capture alot of the same general opinion about the difference b/w these two speakers.
Randyman m50/m60 review

Here are some other reviews, mostly of the M60 that you might also want to peruse. Note the 'big showdown' with M50s and M80s especially since the M80s will sound alot like the M60s except for the deeper bass extension.
the big showdown
sonicfox review m60
my review of m22s vs. qs8s as surrounds

In regards to your receiver selection, although i enjoy the sound of Pioneer receivers, they, much like some H/K, tend to run very hot. In my opinion, this is a rather poorly designed or perhaps insufficient heatsink for the amp it uses. Even the Pioneer Elite lineup does not officially support speakers less than 6 ohm according to their whitepapers. Put all this together and my impression of the Pioneeer build quality is less than stellar.
I would tend to stay away from any receiver that also uses heatsink fans and protection circuitry. Although the idea seems like a good one, if the amp and heatsink are properly designed, it should never need these protections.
Much like DanTana's suggestions, i would recommend you look at Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha for cheaper or more expensive models, and as some good, commonly found receivers.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#7889 01/11/03 11:21 PM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
KC_Mike,

You didn't mention whether you're buying a 5.1 or 6/7.1 array, but I'll throw in my standard fanboy-esque endorsement of the Arcam receivers...give them some thought if listening to music is something you take seriously.

If you're going for 6 or 7 channels, I'd think Onkyo, Yamaha, Outlaw or Denon. If your heart is set on HK or Pioneer, though, I would think Pioneer is the better buy.

Last edited by fhw; 01/11/03 11:22 PM.
#7890 01/12/03 12:37 AM
KC_Mike Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
Thanks for your input.

#7891 01/12/03 12:53 AM
KC_Mike Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
It appears that my original search of the forum was inadequate.....so my thanks to you for taking the time to find existing threads. I am tired of going back and forth....so after reading your reply (and the others) I have decided to go with the M60's and the QS8's. I have more research to do on the receiver side of things. Thanks again!

#7892 01/12/03 01:03 AM
axiomite
axiomite
OOOhhh i love Arcam
FMJ

'drool '

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#7893 01/12/03 03:49 AM
devotee
devotee
Good choice KC...I was showing off my system a little tonight and I think Marc is getting a call on Monday.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044