Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
my m60's arrived yesterday - not impressed - ???
#47238 05/27/04 11:53 PM
M
mdavis Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
M
Well, my M60's arrived earlier yesterday morning (order placed Tue - INCREDIBLE service!)and I eagerly unwrapped the gigantic boxes and stared in amazement at the beauty of seeing these in the flesh. Wow!

After hooking them up, I was hugely disapointed, but I can't help wondering if it's more about my setup then the quality of the speakers themselves, as every review I've read seems to be describing a very different listening experience. What I'm hearing is tough to describe, but far from ideal: Clean yet a little muddy and almost compressed sounding (as if the soundstage elements were all crammed to fit into the same place). The highs are impressive but the midrange is blah and undefined, with details that can clearly be heard on my Mission M74i's (by all accounts a far less detailed speaker in every way)getting almost lost in the din. Surely this can't be right? I really want to love these babies!

Now, I'm powering the M60's with a Yamaha RX-V1300. The speakers are placed (a good few feet from the wall on either side)at the head of a long rectangular room roughly 12 x20. There is wall to wall carpeting and the back of the room has a staircase, which I'd imagine can impact accoustics. Further, one of the long walls opens into a full bathroom with tiled flooring, which I'd assume can also create accoustical havoc. The only furnishings are two couches and lots of shelving.

On the other end, my Missions are in a room with hardwood flooring and minimal furnishings, which should usually create trouble but the slight echo created by the room actually enhances the musicality of the system, oddly enough. In contrast, the Axioms seem uncomfortably cold and less detailed, albeit with better highs. I'm going to try bringing the Missions downstairs to see how they sound in the Axiom room.

Any advice on what I can change in the Axiom room to bring out the best in the M60's?

Re: my m60's arrived yesterday - not impressed - ???
#47239 05/27/04 11:58 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I would suggest doing exactly what you suggest, or moving the axioms to the mission room since you are probably more used to listening to them in that environment.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
Re: my m60's arrived yesterday - not impressed - ?
#47240 05/28/04 12:00 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
There will be more technical weigh-ins before this is done, but ir sounds like a couple of issues. First - you will need to experiment with placement. Closer to the wall front to back and vice versa. Further apart/closer together. Most importantly - these puppies perform a bit better with a bit of toe-in.

The other issue is letting your ears catch up to the new audio.

Not to worry. Several initial reactions spread through the forum like this. Once you find the correct placement and spend some time with them, the love affair will start.

#47241 05/28/04 12:20 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I don't have the M60s, but also consider the quality of the recording you are listening too. Some recordings sound worse the more neutral a speaker is, because the speaker is no longer counterring poor/intentionally boomy bass mixing.
What are you listening to?

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#47242 05/28/04 12:57 AM
M
mdavis Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
M
Wow, responses have appeared as quickly as the speakers themselves! Thanks!

I've been playing all kinds of music on these, from Ennio Morriconne and Goblin to Coil, Black Sabbath, Nick Cave and Tori Amos. Without exception, there is far less detail and warmth on the Axioms. I will certainly start playing with speaker placement. When you say that they appear to work best with a bit of toe-in, do you mean I should try positioning them slightly more forward than anything else they are near?

Thank god Axiom gives 30 days for their trails period!

#47243 05/28/04 01:00 AM
axiomite
axiomite
The first thing that jumps out at me is the room. Like you said, switch the speakers around. Put the Axioms in the Mission room, and the Missions in the Axiom room. I think you'll be stunned at what a difference the rooms make.

#47244 05/28/04 01:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
toe in means that you can turn the speakers at an angle so that the tweeters are more pointed twards your head. I have my M80's toed in just so that i can see maybe 3/4 inch of the INSIDE panel of the speakers when im sitting in the sweet spot. Granted, its a small sweet spot but im the only one listening and it produces a more focused image.

#47245 05/28/04 02:29 AM
veteran
veteran
Yeh try them on different Amps/ Recievers what kinda Cable's are u using? are they Different in each room Different CD Player ? Can't hurt to try an think of all the Differences in Each Room etc

If You Are Gonna Do It , Do It Right !!!
#47246 05/28/04 03:30 AM
veteran
veteran
it may simply be that they're not for you. keep trying, but if something tells you that you don't like them - then pay attention to that something.
i tried rockets and they were not for me. i could tell this within the first day. you, on the other hand, may like rockets.

#47247 05/28/04 04:14 AM
axiomite
axiomite
mdavis,
Although i agree with the suggestions about playing with room acoustics and speaker positions, take things slow at first. You only received the speakers yesterday. Give yourself some time to listen to various music pieces with the new speakers and allow your brain time to adapt to a new sound. You are obviously used to hearing your Missions and music always sounds good from those speakers. They comprise your reference point.
Now you are hearing something different and are unsure whether it is really better, or just different.
Take a gander at a post on my first experience with the Axiom speakers and see if you fall into a similar category.
After listening to the Axioms for a couple of days, if you still feel there is something not fitting, then start playing around with toe in, spacing, etc.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020