Print Thread
Rate Thread
General HT setup for newbie
#3042 05/13/02 05:34 PM
yacmed Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I am just starting my HT and i stumbled across a review of your speakers about a year ago and have been drooling ever since. I am a college student with a little extra money and am looking for some advise. First, can you give a ball-park estimate of the price of the wallmounts your developing. Second, do the m3ti's accomodate banana plugs (are there any speakers that don't). third, do the front speakers of a HT system need to be close to the TV or can they be in the front corners of a small room? four, why have the prices of your speakers been climbing at some online retailers over the past year, (they have gone from 300 canadian to 430 canadian at audioshop). I would appreciate a quick response.
Kore

Re: General HT setup for newbie
#3043 05/13/02 06:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi yacmed

I have a pair of M3Tis and they do indeed accommodate banana plubs, spades, or bare wire. There's no reason not to place M3s in the corner as far as I know, although it may enhance the bass a bit. You should leave some room between the back of the M3s and the wall since these speakers are rear ported. Axiom reports that the cost of parts from US suppliers has increased, I dunno. They are terrific speakers, clearly as the price increases the price/quality ratio degrades.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#3044 05/13/02 06:32 PM
yacmed Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Also, my viewing chair will be against the back wall and i need to know if it is better to have side wall mounted surrounds, or back wall mounted ones, and is it better to put the sub close to or as far away from you chair as possible? as far as sorrounds go, should they be angled towards the viewer or will aiming them into the center of the room suffice?
Kore

#3045 05/13/02 06:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Kore
If you have a 5 channel system (2 fronts, 1 center and 2 rears) then I think the best orientation for the rear speakers is mounting them on either side of the listener (should be called side speakers) If your sub is large enough you could use it for a coffee table, could blow the chips around the room though.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#3046 05/13/02 07:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello yacmed,

It's better not to aim surround speakers at the listening area. You want to create a sense of envelopment with the surrounds; properly set up, the surrounds should not attract your attention as sources of sound. You want to be immersed in the surround field.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#3047 05/13/02 07:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello yacmed,

It's better not to aim surround speakers at the listening area. You want to create a sense of envelopment with the surrounds; properly set up, the surrounds should not divert your attention as sources of sound. You want to be immersed in the surround field.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#3048 05/14/02 05:17 PM
yacmed Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
thank you for your time in replying but could you also tell an estimated American cost of the wall mounts?
Kore

#3049 05/14/02 05:22 PM
yacmed Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I realize i'm beating this post to death but i had one more question. my sony 32" TV's top is angled down, this seems unusual compared to other TV. my question is: will the center speaker need a special mount to rest atop my television? my entertainment center does not go above the TV and is full underneath where the components go (they will be when i get the reciever, dvd player, and digital cable box in there.) please advise.
Thank you
Kore

#3050 05/14/02 08:07 PM
veteran
veteran
OK, Alan

You got me.....

Where WOULD you "aim" surround speakers - if not into the listening area?? (to the back yard??) Heh!Heh!

Sorry I couldn't resist!!!

Yacmed,

Perhaps you could configure you setup so the center speaker is directly under the TV? (not actually setting on top of the speaker! A 32" Sony is too heavy for that).

Otherwise you might need to devise (build) some sort of wedge shaped support to set on top of the TV that would make a flat surface for the Center channel speaker (VP100/150) to set on. Could be wood. attached to the TV with velcro or something like that.

Good Luck,

Randyman

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup