Print Thread
Rate Thread
While most of the speakers are good
#4754 08/09/02 12:40 AM
A
alm129d Offline OP
OP Offline
A
it seems that people generally have only a so-so impression of Axiom's subs. So ... what would probably be a good sub to go with M22ti's (subs from other companies, that is)?

Re: While most of the speakers are good
#4755 08/09/02 01:06 AM
local
local
The Hsu VTF-2. www.hsuresearch.com

#4756 08/09/02 02:12 AM
old hand
old hand
As Jason pointed out, HSU is a good choice (VTF-2 or VTF-3). Others to consider:

- SVS
- Adire Audio Rava or Dharman

David

#4757 08/09/02 04:25 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I don't know if i've seen alot of people comment on the quality of the Axiom subs but more on the cost for their performance. The standing 'argument' (for lack of a better word) has been that one could easily find a cheaper sub with pretty equal performance to the Axiom subs so many forum readers here may have Axioms all around but a different sub brand in their system. At least, that is what i've noticed.

Just over a month ago i purchased an entire Axiom setup which included the EP350. Although i haven't done any type of review in these forums (although i have posted my personal reviews for some of the other speakers), i would tend to give the EP350 a pretty good score. This would be based solely on its performance and not its cost:performance.
The EP350 has PLENTY of low end oomph that vibrates 2 floors up in my house. Picture frames on my bedside table rattle with the system turned up to about 70-75 using an Onkyo 797. Note that the volume on the sub is only set around the 25% mark.
It blends nicely for music with M60s as my front speakers. I've set the crossover low so it only really plays the lesser Hz sound, but for home theatre, the low Hz range is the area in which i really want the sub to excel. As i previously mentioned, it can definitely rattle hanging ceilings and wall fixtures.
However, for the near 1 grand price for the EP350, you probably can find other subs that will work nicely. I just didn't want to mix and match brands and the extra hundred or two hundred bucks for the same finish and brand was not that big a concern to me. Perhaps if the difference were more like $500 i would have looked around more.
I actually did look at ordering the Adire Riva but after shipping and such, the price was barely a hundred less than the Axiom with a DIY project that i did not need anytime soon. I took the easy route and just paid the cash.
But don't count out the Axiom subs just because alot of people have other brands. The Axiom subs are still excellent quality and i would be hard pressed to say otherwise.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#4758 08/09/02 11:03 AM
old hand
old hand
Chesseroo,

I can't comment on the Axiom subs because I haven't heard them, but I was curious about your comment on the Adire Rava.

In reply to:

I actually did look at ordering the Adire Riva but after shipping and such, the price was barely a hundred less than the Axiom with a DIY project that i did not need anytime soon.

The Aidre Rava is NOT a DIY project. It's a finished sub. Am I misreading what you meant?

David

#4759 08/09/02 01:43 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Did someone say DIY?

If you are considering a sub purchase, investigate the possibility of building one yourself. If you have the basic tools and are somewhat coordinated, you can make an excellent sub to YOUR specifications. Also, you end up building something that would typically cost many times more. Of course there is the satisfaction of telling your friends: "Oh that, I built it myself. Sorry it knocked the glasses off your face."

A tangent, I know.

-Nick

#4760 08/09/02 02:26 PM
old hand
old hand
I agree with Chesseroo's comments regarding Axiom's subs... the issue that people seem to mention is finding cheaper subs in the same performance neighborhood rather than a lower level of quality in Axiom subs.

I've owned the Epic Master system (with EP-175 sub) for four months now, and could not be any happier with the entire system's performance. The EP-175 sub thunders in my viewing area of 20 X 12 with a 9 X 8 bumpout to the immediate right of the sub. This bumpout adds some complexity to the demand placed on the sub as it's a big "open hole" that it has to contend with, and it performs superbly.

Like Chesseroo, I was looking to keep the same finish on all my system speakers, and the boston cherry matches seamlessly with our entertainment center. Since my wife's approval was necessary in our getting a HT system, the aesthetics were very important. Approaching her with the thought of "a huge box" in the living room was tough, but when she saw how it integrated into the decor, I got the green light.

I've been very impressed with both its performance and its "looks". It has met my needs, and I recommend it without any hesitation at its price point.

lando

lando
#4761 08/09/02 04:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
My mistake.
I was thinking of the Shiva drivers and not the Rava sub (i keep getting the names crossed). A DIY kit from Adire with the Shiva driver was going to cost barely a touch less than the Axiom EP350. A friend of mine is still thinking about buying the kit for fun but i honestly didn't have the time to put it together.
I still have a deck to refinish, pergo flooring to put in, a roof to repair and new outside lighting to install. I just wanted to listen to music while i did it all dagnabit.

Ian had mentioned looking into a larger sub for the masses that wanted something even bigger than the EP350. I love this driver, i absolutely love it, and i don't know why!
Adire Maelstrom

Last edited by chesseroo; 08/09/02 04:48 PM.

#4762 08/09/02 04:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Why is it that the wives seem to have so much input when it comes to aesthetics?
I don't think we could have bought any speakers other than brands that came with a boston cherry type finish. Black was out (we both agreed on that) and 'apparently' most maple finishes looked too bleached white. If it weren't for the Axioms, i am pretty positive we may have owned a pair of Monitor Audio silver series by now.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters