Print Thread
Rate Thread
Surround speaker placement
#11221 05/22/03 06:32 PM
mizer Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
I am reconfiguring from 5.1 to 6.1. I currently have 2 QS8's on stands supplied by AXIOM in an open room 16X40X8, the HT area of that room is 16X20X8. The TV,Fronts and Center are in the corner of the room ( only place thay can go do to the fireplace). I sit and watch opposite of that about 15ft away( L-shape sectional). I would like to place the rear surround on the stand behind me and remove the surrounds from the stands and place them on the wall. My question is what is the proper height for the surround speakers? I know the rear surround is limited to the stand size about 3.5ft. I only have side walls available for the surrounds and not the rear. Should they all be at the same height? or is it alright to have the surrounds higher then the rear?

Thanks Mizer

Re: Surround speaker placement
#11222 05/23/03 01:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My observation is that, thanks to its quadpolar configuration, the QS8 is very forgiving with respect to placement, especially the height. I experimented with my QS8's with several different heights and locations, but the differences were, if any, surprisingly subtle. I ended up with wall-mounting them at about 6' high and about 20 degrees or so behind the listener, considering visual aesthetic factors as well.

At any rate, according to the "textbook," the side surrounds should be 2'-5' above the ear level. I do not think there are any rigorous reasons that the rear and side surrounds have to be at the same height. If there is any doubt, just experiment using a couple of people or rudders, before you drill the wall.

Re: Surround speaker placement
#11223 05/23/03 01:35 PM
mizer Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Thanks sushi.
I did notice that it made little difference with there placement. My only concern is with the rear surround. I have no choice but to stand mount at a lower height then the surrounds which I'm going to remove from the stands and place on the walls probably a foot below the ceiling. I hope this all works out. I know the QS8's are very forgiving in their placement.

Mizer

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup