Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
New HT for a newbie
#37543 03/17/04 05:48 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
OK, here goes. I have made many searches and read a hundred or so posts as I try to get the feel of this site and the available information contained here before I start a new thread and waste any of your time. (We could be listening to music. I don’t do well keyboarding when I’m cranking the tunes.). My first three questions are not answered in the messages that I could find. My forth question is answered only indirectly by positive comments on other brands of subs (SVS/Hsu). I will follow my questions with some background for those of you that don’t mind taking an extra minute to see why I am asking.

1. What is the efficiency of MK 750 THX speakers?
2. How does this efficiency compare to the Axiom M80?
3. What is current opinion here on the comparison of MK and Axiom?
4. Should I order a different Sub than the EP350 that comes with Epic 80 system?

I read with interest Hawkson101 link about their journey to the local stores and the list of speakers looked at. MK fell well down that list but contrary to that opinion I found the MK 750 THX very nice. The sound stage was very wide and the vocals were high on stage even though the 750s were relatively low on the optional stands. The high end seemed bright the first time I listened but on following trips back to the store with my own CDs in hand (Old fashioned Rock) I found the brightness not to be an issue. I auditioned the MKs with a Denon 3803 (110x7) and they sounded great but I didn’t think they played as loud I had hoped. I had the volume set to zero db, which I believe to be only 18 db from the top. I assumed that this was due to the 4 ohm current hogs that I’ve read about, but after reading other posts here and reviews elsewhere I now believe it may not be the 4 ohm rating in and of itself but the lack of efficiency of the MKs. I am purchasing the Denon 3805 (120x7) and planned on buying the MKs next month when the 3805 arrives. I was all set to write out the check, until yesterday, when an Audioholics Review turned me on to Axiom. (http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/AxiomAudio_Epic80a.html)
I can’t preview the Axioms (unless there is someone in Spokane willing to help) but then again I can’t find a bad review anywhere and you all just may have convinced me that I need to reconsider my MK purchase. If any of you have more info on the efficiency rating of the MKs compared to Axiom or share your opinions on how they compare, it would be most helpful. It would give me a good idea since I listened to the MKs extensively.

What I didn’t see here was as much support for the EP350 Sub. I planned on ordering the whole Epic 80 set and even considered ordering 2 of the EP350 subs. I see Hsu and SVS mentioned as a better speaker or was it just a better value? You folks tell me. The sub that I was considering with an MK purchase was the high rated V-125. I am a “matching set” kind of a guy and would prefer one order, one matching finish, etc. Thanks for helping me put together a new HT!

Re: New HT for a newbie
#37544 03/17/04 06:30 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Being a died-in-the-wool Macintosh guy, I was amused to see your moniker. I have attached a link you can check here to see if you have an audition opportunity in Washington. Looks like there is one in Ephrata. If that doesn’t work for you, drop Amie an email and she might be able to hook you up.

Let me suggest you also stop in [url=http://www.audioreview.com/SearchResultscrx.aspx?forumchoice=&forumchoice%5B%5D=&sortby=&do=process&s=&query=&Index=&showposts=0&searchterm=Axiom&section=ByBrand here [/url] for another set of reviews.

I don’t know much about MK speakers, but I am a happy Axiom M60/VP100/QS8 guy, and I drive them with a Denon 3803. (Congrats on the 3805 BTW) I’m not sure what your volume requirements are, but I have not been able to max out the speakers with the Denon. I’ve tried a couple of times, but I can never remember the volume setting I reached when I finally regain consciousness,. Then I need to spend time cleaning up the insects and dead birds around the perimeter of the house and lose interest. The main difference between the 60s and 80s is head room/louder volumes the 80s afford (there will be more input offered from others based on this statement ), so you might want to give Axiom a call and discuss room dimensions and what the room opens into. If the room is too small, the 80s might be too much speaker.

As far as subs go, SVS and HSU do then as their line of business. They are excellent. I don’t know how the Axiom subs line up, but I have an SVS and it is special. Certainly there will be opinions added here, so I won’t dwell on the issue. The additional review site I provided above may be of some assistance for the sub discussion. There really is not a “matching” issue relative to subs – they just do their thing. The subs also require understanding of the dimensions and the playing environment.

In any event, welcome to the discussions and enjoy the hunt.

#37545 03/17/04 06:33 PM
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

Being a died-in-the-wool Macintosh guy...

You too?

#37546 03/17/04 06:39 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
You dog!!!!! When I saw IT/Network in your profile, I quickly assumed that you were on the dark side. Wow, Axioms, an MX-700 remote and a Macintosh. Is this heaven (or Iowa)?

#37547 03/17/04 06:58 PM
I'm actually a light/dark-sider. Mostly dark at work, mostly light at home.

#37548 03/17/04 07:10 PM
I'm a light side at work/light & dark at home. They don't make Planetside for the Mac!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#37549 03/17/04 07:59 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Kind of makes you wonder what percentage of Axiom owners are MAC users. I sense a great disturbance in the Force. Or it could be gas from lunch.

#37550 03/17/04 08:07 PM
Sounds like it's time for a poll!

'Course, this could get ugly.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#37551 03/17/04 09:15 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Now look what I started. If many Axiom owners are indeed Mac users I best be buying Axioms not MKs. BTW the MKs do seem a bit PCish, i.e. industrial looking, used by most studios, many unnecessary models, large company image and etc. No really, I just want the best speakers kind of like I wanted the best computer!

#37552 03/17/04 09:38 PM
axiomite
axiomite
While putting together my HT system, a co-worker of mine was likewise putting together his.

I opted for Rotel and Axiom, he opted for Anthem and M&K.

I spent close to half what he did. He came over soon after we were both finished with our systems. He left very angry with himself.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (Cork, chapin99), 316 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup