Rate Thread
Odd setup position in room advise
#152763 12/03/06 02:28 AM
P
Padge Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Howdy Everyone!
I could use some thoughts concerning my little "dilemma". My question is about acceptable speaker placement for good performance in a room that's a little off as far as setup goes. I have a Sony DAV-DZ100 surround 5 speaker system plus the sub. The room is roughly 29x23 with a vaulted ceiling that is about 16 ft. in height down to about 4 ft. at the low point. The usable listening area is about 15x23 with my point of reference at the back end of a rectangle in the opposite corner of my 36" tv and other components, with the tall wall to my left. To set everything "normally" throws everything a bit off kilter. Now to my question. Is there a problem with elevating the speakers (front and surround) up about 8 ft. and criss-crossing directions of each speaker, having the center speaker mounted on the top of the tv. and finding the proper place for the sub (I've read about finding slim and boomy areas and to find a compromise). What do you do with odd angles. My instinct tells me to improvise.
Thanks in advance.
Padge

SOUND----is to be heard!
Re: Odd setup position in room advise
Padge #152764 12/03/06 03:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I don't know about the others, but I don't think I have this visualized correctly yet. Is it something like the following ?

I'm guessing I have the TV in the wrong place, but the biggest question is the orientation of the 15x23 listening area within the 29x23 room. I probably don't have the ceiling profile right either...

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #152765 12/04/06 08:50 AM
P
Padge Offline OP
OP Offline
P
You're pretty close. The tv is in the corner to the left of where you have it, and my point of referrence (a couch)is about 2 feet from the opposite corner positioned straight along the back wall. There's windows on the wall to the right of where the tv is(where you have the tv placed). The ceiling angle is correct. There's a doorway into the kitchen pretty much adjacent to my point of referrence (about 3.5ft. in from the corner on the tall wall). The end of the room with the short wall is seperated by two support posts that inhibit any real use of the room as far as entertainment setup goes. The flooring is poecelain tile in the entire room. There's also an entretainment center(5.5 ft. W x 4.5 ft. H) along the left wall to the right of the kitchen doorway. I'm trying to set the system up in a normal fashion at this point. I have speaker stands for the front mains(the middle speaker is mounted on top of the tv) and wall mounts for the surrounds. The sub will be somewhere to the front under the tv. It's just gonna' be a little off kilter as far as front to back set up. I just don't know how forgiving the surround effect will be if things aren't somewhat symmetrical.
Thanks for any input Bridgman.

Padge

p.s With support posts, windows, doorways etc., moving furniture around won't improve room setup. I think I have it as good as it's gonna' get. Frankly, the support posts are the obstacle in this room.

SOUND----is to be heard!
Padge #152766 12/04/06 09:28 AM
P
Padge Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Brigman,
I don't mean to be so confusilizin'! When I say opposite corner in relation to point of referrence, I'm referring to the separation line you drew in your diagram.
Thanks,
Padge

SOUND----is to be heard!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082