Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Center channel placement (on table with LCD)
#263218 06/10/09 05:41 PM
B
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
B
Hi all. I had another thread discussing the some of the problems with getting a phantom center to work properly with various Dolby Digital modes.

I'm considering trying out a center speaker again. I had a VP150 for a short time a couple of years ago, but was limited by placement. I had to place the center over the rear projection TV and was bothered by the height difference of the center and the L/R speakers.

Part of my upgrade plans are to replace the rear projection tv with an LCD TV. Has anyone had success placing a center (VP150) on the table directly in front of the LCD? This would be about the correct height. The main problem I can see is that the speaker height is taller than most stands LCDs sit on. I might need to place something under the TV to raise it so that it isn't blocked by the speaker. Has anyone done something like this?

Has anyone tried using two M22's (one on each side of the screen) for a center? Seems like this would make the sound appear to come directly from the middle of the screen (much like phantom center).

Re: Center channel placement (on table with LCD)
brodgers #263222 06/10/09 06:03 PM
veteran
veteran
I actually have been putting together a solution to this exact problem. Essentially I am building a box that is reinforced, and that a VP150 can slide into easily. The box is deep enough that the TV base is very securely centered, and sturdy enough that there is no way anything is going to budge.

Unfortunately I am at work now, so I do not have access to my SketchUp schematics for it, but if you PM me your email I can email you a pdf of them. It's a pretty easy build. As a heads up, it is for VP150, so the exact dimensions would not work with a VP150v2... but the idea is identical.

When I get home tonight I will post some links to pics.

EDIT: and before some says it, yes, it would be a lot easier to have just grabbed a cement block, put the TV on it, and then placed the VP150 in front... lol

Last edited by Golden; 06/10/09 06:05 PM.

M60x2, VP150, M22x2
Sennheiser HD-595
Onkyo TX-SR507, PS3 (40gb)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup