Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Axiom m22ti or Hometheater direct level 3 towers
#31055 01/16/04 08:59 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I am trying to decide which ones to get. At the moment the Level 3 towers are winning so please post comments on both.
Regards

Re: Axiom m22ti or Hometheater direct level 3 towers
#31056 01/16/04 09:59 PM
veteran
veteran
Never having heard Home Theater Direct speakers, I can't say -- and I wouldn't dissuade you from making your own choice on value or other criteria. A few things to consider.

1) Check with HT Direct on the frequency response specs they publish for those LEVEL THREES. They say "40 Hz - 20 kHz" but don't add the customary "+/- 3 dB." (If you want someone to explain the signficance of the +/- 3 dB just put up a reply and I or several others would be glad to. Main problem is without that, you really can't tell what the actual frequency response is, ie, how low these things go with any real ability.) If HTD doesn't want to tell you the +/- 3 dB response, that's not a great starting sign.

2) Ask about the height of the tweeter. It's intriguing where they place it, between the woofers. I know jack-squat about the mechanics of that, but personally, it's vitally important to me that the tweeter be at or slightly above my ear level when I sit, or if the speaker is wall-mounted that it be aimed at my ear level. When you sit back a ways, dispersion creates a reasonably wide net, but nothing beats setting the tweeter at the right height.

3) Finally, knowing nothing, I have no wish to disparage HTD, which for all I know is a godsend to budget high-quality audio like Axiom. However, have to note from a quick perusal that a) the reviewers who like them on audioreview.com seem to include many people upgrading from BOSE or making their first serious speaker purchase, b) the positive reviews were not, frankly, as nuanced or even as well written as the positive reviews for some other high end, high quality audio/HT speakers (Axiom, Ascend, Monitor Audio, Magnepan, Paradigm Reference), for what that's worth ... I feel more comfortable with persnickety reviewers, c) there were two well-written, credible 2-star reviews for the Level Threes. Granted they were for Level Three bookshelves, so make of it what you will, but when you couple that with a complete absence of reviews from high-quality audio pubs, at least as listed on the HTD Web site, well .... You'll find forum members here are into value speakers and aren't snobbish. But the sources of the HTD reviews are not as illustrious as you'll find with some other brands.

No one wants to trash the unknown vendor, and these really might be great. At the least, if you're inclined to get the HTDs, any model, I'd plan on auditioning them at home alongside the comparably sized speaker from a high-quality company in your area -- for instance you might live near a Paradigm or Monitor Audio dealer. This will give you a general feel for how well the HTD brand performs relative to well regarded competitors.

Alternately, you would, in the M22tis, be getting a speaker that has won renown from many many corners of the high-end audio world, however, and that's worth something on the post-purchase confidence meter. Plus with stands or wall mounts you can assure they are at the optimal listening height.

And if you want the fuller range from floorstanders, you can't go wrong with M60s at full price or via the discount outlet.

Birdman

"These go to eleven."
#31057 01/16/04 10:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Birdman pretty much summed it up.

I've never heard of that company before myself.

#31058 01/17/04 01:51 AM
shareholder in the making
It's highly unlikely that you'll find anyone who's knowledgeable as to both of them. A quick check turned up this "shootout" which included a M3 and a HTD, and which might interest you if you haven't seen it. Knowing the quality of the M22s, I'd doubt that HTDs could match them, except for presumably having more bass extension, but that's just a guess.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#31059 01/17/04 02:11 AM
Man, those nOrh ones are totally bizarre looking. Wonder how they sound.. The reviewer seems to think that the Axiom M3s are too bright, so I would be these are a bit laid back (like Rockets?)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#31060 01/17/04 03:49 AM
local
local
It's essentially impossible to evaluate speakers based on specs. Both Axiom and HDTaudio have 30-day evaluation periods. Order both, try them simultaneously, and return the loser.

The HDT towers will probably have better base, since their woofer/midrange is larger. However I'd suggest a subwoofer with whichever one you get, so that neutralizes the HDT bass advantage. Axiom makes the EP125 and Hsu has the STF-1 for $299.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044