Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Newbie questions from an intermediate...DOH!
#101290 07/04/05 10:42 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
OK, so I tried to start the weekend testing out my new Sophia Baby tube amp. I think it' gorgeous, BTW... My goal was to try it only in stereo (obviously since I didn't get 3 of them...), with and w/o a sub. As result of my tests, I have a few amp/AVR questions some of you might be able to answer.

First, I hooked it all up using my pioneer 45TX as an pre amplifer and using the tube as an amp. Moved the speaker cables to the tube amp.

PROBLEM NUMBER ONE: I have to manually move the cables from my 45TX to the Sophia. I need an amp switch solution that I can use for 2 amps (tube and 45TX) and switch between for use w/ one set of speakers. Any suggestions? I found this as the closest, but I use 10 ga wire, not 14. I'd also prefer banana jacks, but I'd be willing to try pin connectors. Ideally, I need something that will isolate each amp so they don't drive each other, especially when one is off.

Dayton Switch

Next, I turned the tube amp knob to 1 o'clock (per Sophia), since I'm using this integrated amp as a power amp. Powered everything up and put on my latest reference LP, In Flight by George Benson. I had to turn up the volume to about -8/-10 dB versus my normal -20 db. OK, since I know the Sophia isn't a powerhouse. Wow, I thought, this sounds FANTASTIC. There's more depth, now I can hear the lingering string from the bass guitar. But wait, that's not right. DOH, by turning it up, I failed to drop the level on the sub as well to match.

PROBLEM NUMBER TWO: My amp doesn't seem to allow me different settings per input and it's kind of a hassle to readjust the sub (even w/ a remote macro) every time I listen w/ a tube. Any suggestions, short of a new AVR or separate tube setup?

After I figure out this "fiasco", I decided to try sans sub. So I use the "quick" setting on the AVR, to turn off the sub. As I'm playing a song, I try feel the sub's driver to ensure that it's not moving and the sub's really off. Hmm, it's moving to the beat softly, how come?

PROBLEM NUMBER THREE/SOLUTION: OK Einstein, if you "feel" the driver, don't forget that if the speaker is nearby and you have wood floors, the sub will also vibrate...DOH! I figured this out by playing a more bass heavy CD. The M22's bass was quite substantial (way to go M22's) but I could tell that the sub was off for sure.

Any help w/ the first 2 issues would be greatly appreciated. And as much as I'd like separte settings per input AND a DVI switcher, I'd like to avoid a new AVR since it's only about 2 years old.

Re: Newbie questions from an intermediate...DOH!
#101291 07/04/05 11:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Happy 4th OSB

Your Sophia Baby Tubie is beautiful. Does the Pioneer put out enough voltage from the preouts to make your Sophia happy? I don't think you'll get best results with your dual use set up. I'd just use the integrated Sophia for a dedicated 2.1 system.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 07/04/05 11:11 PM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#101292 07/05/05 04:33 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Yeah, trouble is that it's only single input, no phone preamp. I need a prima luna for that...

I'm gonna experiment w/ various configs, including going direct to the Sophia. The Pioneer seems to play nice, however, I don't have anything to compare against to refute that. I'll know more as a play w/ it.

#101293 07/05/05 04:44 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Prima Luna now makes separate preamps and amps. Of course for the price of one, you could easily get one of their integrateds. There are plenty of affordable preamps out there. If you need to go that route. Keep an eye on Audiogon.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 418 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup