Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
can't decide if Axiom is for me...
#90676 04/15/05 02:16 AM
Newf Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Ok, little background. Was a DJ for 11 years, but that was 10 yrs ago. I have an ageing system that is not being "replaced" just that I'm getting another for another room. It'll be used for %60 HT, and %40 music. Right now the room is 11 x 19 but we are trying to get a bigger home so I wouldn't let that number decide anything yet.

I listen, or "we" listen to POP, top 40, Rap, tehcno, Rock, some country.

I do not listen to classical, jazz, etc. And this is where my problem begins because most of the post I'm seeing here are for this type of music.

My current setup is Caver Power Amps, and pre-amp. Mains are Cerwin Vega D-9. 350 watt, 15" woofer, 2 mid range, and tweeter. I love em, but they are two wide for this room. So tall and skinny is what I need.

I do love the sound of my system for music and home theater, but it's not perfect obviously. Bass is awesome highs are well...high, and that is something I dont' want to lose ( good highs and bass)

We are building a HT room. So far is a infocus PJ, 110" screen. bar at opposite end of room for entertaining.

Now, I am the type of person that hates speakers that are all mid range, no bass, and no highs. Any system I ever use i generally right away turn up the treble and bass, and the mids are on zero or just below. that is how I like my sound. Granted some speakers get away with this a little better and need little adjustment

Now the downside. I live in NFLD. The chances of me finding an Axiom owner locally or even on the island are slim to none. I don't like buying speakers without hearing them. And "trying" these for free sounds great and all, but if I did have to send them back....holy...@#$@#.. I can't imagine shipping from NFLD.

My local "hifi" shop will not get any higher end stuff in unless it's paid for first. Too risky they say. So I'm stuck with hearing small Paradigm Monitors ( 3/5's so far which i didn't like) and some small klipsch towers among other junk i won't mention. I can't audition the speakers I really want to hear.

Those being Paradigm studios. Really want to hear the Monitor 90P's, and of course the Axiom 60/80's...actually their entire home theater package really.

So, 1st question, are the Axiom's even good for what I want? or are they are more subtle speaker for those wanting the listen to jass, classical and so on

Shipping is free. Is this temporarily?

Axiom is actually Canadian? or US, China? what?

2xAA
M80/VP150/VP160/QS8
4xM3/M22OW/M2OW/VP150OW/4xM3IC/4xM3OW
EP500/800/HSU VTF3/SVS PB2k/SB2k/SB-12
Re: can't decide if Axiom is for me...
#90677 04/15/05 02:31 AM
axiomite
axiomite
First off...welcome to the boards!

Let me comment on a few things. You gave lots of useful information, so you'll likely get some useful feedback as well.

1) Cerwin Vega speakers are notoriously bass heavy, and that bass is generally quite "loose". Any modern speaker you listen to will likely dissapoint you in the bass department if that bloated/loose bass sound is what you want. I believe a member here went from Cerwin Vega's to M60's...they're first impression was "where's the bass?", but soon thereafter realized there was lot's of bass, it was just much more tight and accurate than they were used to. Hopefully someone with direct experience in this area can give you their feedback. If even after getting used to hearing tight bass you still want more...that's what a good subwoofer is for. The EP500 or a nice Hsu VTF-3 would give you all the bass you could ever handle. (and still do it tight and accurately)

2) Axiom's excell in the mid's and high's. You'll hear every detail and nuance of your music. Whatever speakers you end up getting, you really should try leaving the bass/mid/treble knobs set at even. Give that a good two weeks of listening. Give yourself a chance to hear what these songs you're listening to were meant to sound like. You can always go back to cranking up the bass and treble later on.

3) Infocus projector and 110" screen! You lucky S.O.B.!

4) Where the heck is NFLD?

I hope this was at least a little helpful. Let me reiterate though...no modern speaker is going to sound like those monster Cerwin's you've gotten so used to. A nice pair of towers (in your case I recommend the M50ti, based on your music choices, and your desire for a "fatter" sound, paired with a really good subwoofer is your best bet. Don't skimp on the sub!

Good luck...I'm sure some others will be by shortly to give their own opinions. Keep us up to date on what you finally decide on...whether it be Axiom or not!

#90678 04/15/05 03:05 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Good advice Spiff. I think NFLD is Newfoundland. At least that's my guess.

I echo Spiff's welcome. Were you a radio DJ, or a dance DJ?

I'm surprised to hear you say "I do not listen to classical, jazz, etc. And this is where my problem begins because most of the post I'm seeing here are for this type of music. While I am a jazz listener, I also listen to folk, some rock (mostly classic), a little country, a soupçon of classical, and a lot of standards (Hey! I'm old! ). Regardless, you'll find plenty of guys here who listen to the musical categories you mentioned you enjoy.

Everybody here will understand your reluctance to purchase speakers sound unheard. We all went through the same thing. If you think you'd really like to hear the Axioms, one thing you might consider is purchasing just a pair of the front speakers you are considering. This will give you the opportunity to hear the Axiom sound in your own room, with your own equipment. Never discount the effect your room will have on speakers. That's why even auditioning speakers in a salesroom is not necessarily a guarantee of how they will sound in your room. If you don't care for them, you can return them, for any reason, within 30 days, and only pay return shipping on a pair. If you DO like them, and I suspect you will, you can then order the center and surrounds of your liking.

Axiom is a Canadian company, so you'll only be shipping from Newf. to Dwight, Ontario.

You might consider buying from the Factory Outlet and saving 10%. All Factory Outlet speakers are guaranteed to be sonically prefect, but they may have very minor, or non existent, cosmetic blemishes. I bought my M60s and VP150 for the FO, and it took me two weeks to find the blemishes on the M60s. I never did find any blemishes on the VP150. The down side is you have to wait a bit longer for your speakers.

Free shipping is the norm. But, keep in mind that the cost of shipping, in all probability, is figured into the price of the speakers.

As Spiff said, please keep us informed on what you decide. We have a number of members who own speakers other than Axioms.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#90679 04/15/05 03:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
You sound like a prospective M80 owner to me.

The M80s go pretty deep into the bass but you may find you still want a subwoofer, not sure. Modern small drivers can't move as much air as a 15" woofer but they sure do sound cleaner and they do give you a surprising amount of bass.

I second the suggestion to just get mains, see how you like them, and ship them back if you don't like them. If you find that you have to crank the bass adjust way up to get the sound you want then you would definitely be better off with a good subwoofer and could then probably get away with smaller speakers.

The recommendation of M50s and a good sub might be a good one, come to think of it... and of course Dennis (Tharkun) has proven that M80s and a good sub (well, TWO good subs) is awesome

You could also email Amie (amie at axiom dot com, I think) and ask if she knows anyone nearby who would be willing to let you listen to their Axioms.

For anyone wondering, here is a map of Newfoundland (the island part) and Labrador (the mainland part) :

Last edited by bridgman; 04/15/05 03:57 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#90680 04/15/05 11:06 AM
aficionado
aficionado
you were a dj-so youre used to that big punch in the face sound-it sounds like the 80s are for you -you will definetly need a sub to fill in your club like pounding that you love,not saying that they dont have great bass, the 80s will probably more than satisfy you in the high department and do it a little louder than you need...good luck with your desision

#90681 04/15/05 02:20 PM
Newf Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
yeah, I would really like to hear the 80's and 60's.

I'm still trying to decide if it's worth the hassle or just get my dealer to get some 90p's locally and I'll test them.

2xAA
M80/VP150/VP160/QS8
#90682 04/15/05 02:44 PM
old hand
old hand
Where in Newfoundland do you live? I'm in Grand Falls-Windsor and have the M60's + HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub. I don't listen to Classical or Jazz either and I love these speakers. My 60's are from the FO, and the flaw (I've only found one so far) is only noticeable if you're right next to the speaker.

Let me know if you're in the area.

-Jon

Axiom M60ti Hsu VTF-2 Mk2 NAD C320BEE NAD C542 Systemdek IIX Cables by Unity Audio
#90683 04/15/05 03:35 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Welcome newf!

Try and hook up with Amie via email and see if she can fix you up with an audition somewhere nearby.

Worst case is that you simply take the plunge, order them and return them after 30 days. The VAST majority don't return them, so that should tell you something! You would be happy with the M60s (the 80s sound the same, just play louder), but that's your call.

#90684 04/15/05 05:28 PM
Newf Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
corner brook area. So your about 4 hours away.

that factory outlet link above is for USA. is there a Canadian link? And are those prices for one speaker or one pair?

hmmmmmm

2xAA
M80/VP150/VP160/QS8
#90685 04/15/05 05:52 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
those outlet prices are for pairs, except of course on the centers...

i had a HUGE pair of Vega MX400's that i got back in the early 90's, that i love/loved very much. after becoming accustom to their heavy, booming bass and thin highs, i was a little cautious about branching out with a speaker that is considered so tight and accurtae(M60's). and to be honest, i wasnt sure if i would like the change or not. once i set the 60's up and got to cranking it, i was SO happy with the change. there is no doubt they are lacking in overall bass(BOOM), but the tightness and punch of the 60's bass is just as good or better, but in a different kind of way. and to get to hear the clear highs, and for the mids to no longer sound muddy, i was really pleased with what i was hearing.

it is/was a definite change from the Vega's to the Axioms, but one that i am very happy i have made. music sounds alive to me now. the Vega's were more like a WALL of sound, right in my face.. the axioms seem more like the sound is dancing around me, enveloping me. i prefer it much more!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082