speakers????
#33578 02/11/04 12:51 AM
K
krazy Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
K
Looking to get into a set of speakers for the new house. I will use primarily for now 2 channel set up. they will be powered by a harman kardon 325 avr. Was looking at eiter the m60s or something like it. The room is quite open as the living room extends into the kitchen and dining room with vaulted ceilings. I listen to u2-classical to top 40s stuff. Is there a comparable speaker out there for the money. I was looking at the psb 7t tower. It has active subs built into it. I like to hear the low end..or is there any speakers you guys or gals can recommend??thanks, blake

Re: speakers????
#33579 02/11/04 01:17 AM
shareholder in the making
How much money do you want / are you willing to spend? I'd be hesitant to buy speakers with built-in active subs. Subwoofers can be very picky about placement and having them built-in to your mains would prevent you from placing them ideally.

#33580 02/11/04 02:09 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I have to agree with Peter about the built in sub speaker style. I have yet to hear one that sounds any good. I've heard some Polks and most recently (some months ago) this tower speaker which received relatively good reviews but is not very well known.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#33581 02/11/04 06:31 AM
Nice real wood veneer! (hint hint)

#33582 02/11/04 03:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Although the real wood veneer looks good there Peter, some of the inlay is not that great. The last pair i saw actually had bits of glue coming out from the seams. I was not impressed with the quality of the build but the materials look interesting.
Here is a clip from that review on the materials Angstrom uses:

The front baffle is a tri-composite mass-loaded board which consists of 3/4-inch "Acoustic Roc" and 3/4-inch cherry veneer particle board, bonded with a special material known as Resonance Isolation Barrier (RIB). The Acoustic Roc™ is made from 70% cement and 30% cellulose fibre and provides mass with superb acoustic properties. The bonding agent was chosen for its unwavering characteristics. It never changes its mechanical composition never hardens, never cracks and is, in fact, a super damping material which cancels the (opposing) resonances of the particle board/Acoustic Rock. To further control potential vibrations, two 3/4-inch MDF cross braces are strategically placed inside the enclosure. Both sections of the enclosure are lined with 1-inch Roxul AFB, a non-directional fibre made of stone wool. The material actually creates thousands of minute, air-filled interconnected cavities which trap reverberated sound. Each loudspeaker is fine-tuned with this Roxul material, creating a "loaded, quasi transmission line" system.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#33583 02/11/04 04:59 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Now, you guys are trying to hijack the poor fella's "power tower" thread into an Angstrom thread

I agree on the power-tower deal. I wanted to like them (fewer big boxes sitting around) but simply could not find any that sounded right to me. I think it is because, fundamentally, what you've got there is a satellite speaker and a subwoofer in the same enclosure. So you lose not only the sub positioning flexibility, but it is NOT truly a traditional "3-way" design. I never did listen to one that sounds as full, seamless and velvety to me as do the M60's.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#33584 02/11/04 05:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I too have to say, that I've never heard a speaker with built-in subwoofer that sounded any good.

Find a B&W dealer, and listen to their new 700 series towers. If you like the sound, the M60ti is the speaker for you. Axiom's M60 sounds VERY similar and costs less than half what the B&W's do.

If you really like bass, the only proper way to get it is with a good subwoofer. Even many people with $10,000+ tower speakers, add a subwoofer to fill in the low end. If you do a search on subwoofers on this board or any other, two names are going to rise to the top every time. Hsu and SVS. Personally, I'm a Hsu man. Right now, I don't think there's a subwoofer out there that can match the bang-for-your-buck quality of Hsu's new VTF-3 MK2 or STF-2 models.

Good luck. Enjoy the shopping experience, it's nearly as fun as the listening that you'll be doing after your purchase!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044