Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
PC-->USB DAC-->amp-->M80-->EP500 ???????
#198172 02/27/08 08:27 AM
B
regular
OP Offline
regular
B
Hi All,

I have disbanded my M80 from the Epic80*500 5.1 setup in the family room and reduced/relocate my 5.1 setup to main M22 in the living room. I just ordered the M22, which is due to arrive this Thursday. I'm turning the family room into a master bedroom and I want to have my M80 in 2.1 digital playback setup in my new bedroom. Today, I just received my MDHT Lab Constantine+ USB DAC delivered from the exotic far East and handcrafted there too. So far, I got to say that I am a proud owner of this DAC and the M80. I have everything setup in 2.0 from my PC and it flows like this:

XP_PC-->USB_DAC-->AMP-->M80

My question to this setup chain is that how do you hookup EP500 with M80 without a "preamp"? I know I can put in a preamp with a sub output in the chain and solve my problem, but I don't want to add another component of that sort. I want to order another EP500 down the road, but I have an EP500 right now I just don't know how to hook it up to test it before I order another one. Well, I kinda think I do know how and in this scenario I think this is where I should hookup the M80 to the EP500 High Level Input, but I need to make sure of it before I blow my speakers. Am I on the right track with the High Level Input thinking or the only way to get EP500 hookup is with a preampt in the chain??

BTW-IMO this setup sounds much better so far then my Denon 4306 setup (maybe it's a placebo effect)IMO using foobar2000 to playback electronica WAV files, but it's debatable. However, what is not debatable is the convenience and infinite source of musics the digital playback has to offer. I wish I can describe to you audiophiles the musical differences between the PC-->DAC-->AMP-->M80 and my Denon 4306-->Anthem A2-->M80 setup, but admittedly I am idiot when it comes to describing sounds. I just know how to enjoy the musics and never spend the time to be analytical about it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-BC

Re: PC-->USB DAC-->amp-->M80-->EP500 ???????
BongChoka #198173 02/27/08 09:40 AM
shareholder in the making
BC, you do seem to be interested in doing things the hard way instead of simply using the 4306 with the bass management that it would provide, but be that as it may, sure, you can hook up to the high level inputs on the EP500. You can run speaker wires directly from the outputs of the Anthem to the EP500; there's no need to have the M80s involved in the chain.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

BongChoka #198180 02/27/08 12:52 PM
aficionado
aficionado

On your question, simply split the signal at the DAC unbalanced outputs and run the other set of RCA cables to the EP500. Look forward to your impressions. But do you really need to add the EP500 if you are using the M80s for stereo duty? I would think you run a greater risk of introducing phase/crossover artifacts when collapsing the stereo bass information into the mono sub. About the only music that would benefit is deep organ.

Congrats on that new DAC. I'm in the process of adding a computer streaming front end into my stereo as well but going with a Benchmark DAC1 usb and a Slim Devices Duet for convenience so I can get my tunes wirelessly. The improved sound you are hearing is mainly attributable to the superior Dac and very low jitter compared to the Denon.

John
JohnK #198457 02/29/08 05:25 AM
B
regular
OP Offline
regular
B
Actually I'm just trying to be more cost effective in my setup. I know of course that I can use the Denon to achieve my goal, but my Denon receiver will be in the living room and my M80 is in my bedroom with the DAC. I can run cable from my Denon as second zone to my bedrom, but I'm still in stereo mode without a sub. Initially, my quest was to figure out how to get a sub into the second zone (stereo only) that I was planning on setting up. Now, I'm stuck into this DAC odyssey. After all the considerations I'm gonna get a stereo preampt with sub out. Thanks for your input.

jakeman #198465 02/29/08 07:01 AM
B
regular
OP Offline
regular
B
Thanks for your advice. And YES, I do really need a sub for the type of music that I listen to, which is 75% electronica (house,trance,techno...everything on di.fm high bandwidth streaming). I can only feel the bass on my feet with the M80 in my 3400 cubic family, but with a sub it turn my room into a club. IMO I think the M80 sounds best with the EP500, but without a sub I just can't listen to it long enough; it wouldn't excite me.

Also, yeah I read alot about the Benchmark DAC and Wavelength Brick, which I initially considered. Eventually, I opt for a different route because I'm just starting out on this DAC journey and wanted to experiment a little. I figured for the price of a Benchmark or Wavelenght I can get two reasonable DACs like MDHT Constanstine+ ($400) for solid state and MDHT Paradisea+ ($575) or maybe a Scott Nixon ($575) for the tube curiosity in my setup, which total to $300 or more cheaper. Now, with two DACs and two laptops I can essentially customize my setup in a similiar fashion as a Slim Devices or any of those dedicated devices, but more functional for my uses.

BTW- if you use a PC with the DAC I would highly recommend Vista, because I just tested my DAC with Windoze XP, Vista, and SuSE Linux. Vista sounds great with the elimination of "Kmixer" and ease of configuration. Windoze XP sounds good, but not great and alot of configuration involved, SuSE Linux sounds lifeless with less bass then the other two OS(what a dissappointment for me I was hoping it sounds better or the same as XP, since SuSE is my primary OS). It sounds so strange to me that I would say anything positive about Vista, since I am strictly a UNIX guy in IT.

Anyway,I just got my M22 and been tied up with setup and have not had much time to fiddle with my DAC setup. I got to setup the M22*EP500 5.1 so my kids can watch "Baby Eienstien" and "Barney". My three years old daughter love to watch Barney over and over again and she force me to watch it with her, which drives me absolutely nutz!

BongChoka #198468 02/29/08 09:43 AM
J
J
I am sooo glad neither of my kids like(d) Barney and they are now old enough that I didn't have to decide on the Einstein series.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16