Hi all - New to the forum and HT and speaker buying, well at least for 15 years. In looking over the offerings of Axiom, and others, a question keeps coming to mind.

Is it preferably to buy a quality floorstanding speaker, like the M60ti, or a quality bookshelf like the M22ti and sink the savings into a better sub?

The argument, it seems to me, for the bookshelf/better sub is that I'd probably cross over to the sub at 80 in either case. The M22, for example, specs to 60 so I suspect the overlap is sufficient.

Now I have everything above 80 covered by the M22 and a better sub handling below. By "better" I mean goes lower and /or is more musical (quicker startup and shutdown).

However, the M60 has some advantages. First, it specs to 37 which gives more room in the handoff from speaker to sub. Plus it has a dedicated mid-range with 2 cross over points. The specialization of the drivers must aid the sound.

The downside is the floorstander is more expensive and thus less money is available for the sub.

Which approach is better? Or is there a 3rd way of looking at this?

Of course I could just double my speaker and sub budget

But then I could always think - why not go to super expensive brand X and buy their bookshelf instead of a less expensive floorstander. And round and round we go.

In any case, which approach do you prefer and why?

Thanks in advance.