My brother is planning to buy a bookshelf system for under $500 Cnd, but he's having some trouble deciding what to get. He likes the idea of the MiniSystem, however, doesn't like how you seem to end up paying for various unwanted features such as tape deck, multi disc cd changer, and tuner (not to mention the sub-optimal sound).

So, I've been trying to get him to think about simply buying a nice set of bookshelf speakers and a fairly cheap amp, thus cutting the unwanted items and adding the inevitable upgrade option. He'd likely have to use his current CD player, but I think it'd be fine for now.

It's my job to find this system for him (if it exists), so here I am asking for some help. So far I've narrowed the speaker selection to Athena's AS-B1 ($199.99 from FutherShop), or Axiom's M1ti ($255.95 from Canadian Hi-Fi). I'm leaning toward the AS-B1's because of their ability to go lower (he likes bass), and cheaper price tag (only $230 after tax, bought locally). However, I remember reading somewhere that Athena's are a little power hungry, which may be a problem for an amp in his price range.

As for what the amp should be, I have no idea. Finding a nice, used integrated is probably the best thing...anyone know of a good place (other than ebay) to buy used stereo items? I'm pretty sure there is one, I just can't remember/find the link.

I'm open to your suggestions here. Also, if you know of a MiniSystem that does sound good, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

On another note, my FO M60s are due to ship on Wednesday....can't wait!

Axiom M60ti Hsu VTF-2 Mk2 NAD C320BEE NAD C542 Systemdek IIX Cables by Unity Audio