I have been bitten by the speaker bug, and have been auditioning bookshelf speakers over the last month. I have heard from the Klipsch RB-5s, PSB Image 2Bs, Paradigm Mini Monitor, Monitor 3s, and Studio 20s, Polk RT-35s, Infinity Il10s, and probably some others I can't remember. All of these are highly rated and in my mind all have some plusses and minuses. I have heard all of these in various stores, so I know that they won't sound the same in my home where they would have to fit into a bookshelf. I have read nothing but positive reviews of the Axiom M3ti, but the closest dealer is a 6 hour drive from me.
The problem is that I have a pair of perfectly good speakers already. They are an old pair of 4 way Kenwoods with a 12" woofer, 2 4" mids, 2 tweeters, and what used to be described as a supertweeter. They are in perfect shape with nothing wrong with the cones or the gaskets. They cover the sound spectrum from about 30hz to somewhere above 12000 fairly effortlessly. So my question is... is it worth giving up these guys and going to a smaller bookshelf speaker. Can they really create a sound with 2 speakers and a small enclosure that would top the sound I get with the 4 way big box I have now? Has anyone gone this route and what experiences did you have? Thanks