Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Calibration
#42301 04/20/04 02:47 PM
ringmir Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
So, I know there's a ton of info regarding home theater calibration on this site. I have read through these step by step instructions and feel like I understand them. My two questions are pretty simple:

Is this the avia disk I need to get? (the general opinion here is that it is superior to the DVE disk?)

And do I really need a tripod for the SPL meter? Or can I just balance it on some makeshift low-profile stand?

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
Re: Calibration
#42302 04/20/04 03:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
This is the disc that i have and it has been excellent. Either the S&V or the Avia are good choices.

You do not need a tripod although it is handy for keeping the meter at the same spot. Ideally you want to have the meter up near your ear level since that is where your head will be when listening. Sometimes i just balance my meter on the back of the sofa.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#42303 04/20/04 03:08 PM
veteran
veteran
Borrow a tripod if you can. If you can't, use blocks or books to create a tower that gets the thing a) to ear level from the usual best/preferred listening positon, b) isolated from side walls and obstructions, at least to the degree your head is when listening.

If you get the thing on a tripod (or some facsimile thereof), you'll be amazed to see how slight obstructions, such as the placement of your body relative to the meter and speakers, changes the calibration volumes. To really balance the side-to-side volume and match the center to the front mains correctly, a tripod is best.

Birdman

"These go to eleven."
#42304 04/20/04 03:13 PM
ringmir Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
That's what I figured... I have some scrap wood lying around so I'll just put together a makeshift stand for it that has as little obstructing surface area as possible.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#42305 04/20/04 03:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

I have some scrap wood lying around so I'll just put together a makeshift stand f

Post some pictures of it for kicks.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#42306 04/20/04 03:20 PM
ringmir Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Will see what I can do (no digital camera but maybe I can borrow one.) No promises.

#42307 04/20/04 05:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
To answer your question, yes that is the Avia disk. That, or the Sound & Vision disk that Chess uses, or Digital Video Essentials, which I use, will do just fine. Once you decide which disk to use, be sure to do a Google search to find the best price.

As the above posts show it isn't necessary to get a tripod. But if you want to, and if it fits into your budget, I got this one for $32 including 2 day FedEX shipping. It's just a lightweight one, but I really like it, and it does the job just fine. I was concerned about holding the meter steady, and at the recommended angle. Works with my digital camera, too.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#42308 04/20/04 07:27 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Okay, I have a stupid question.

When you're doing this calibration, you have to be looking at the meter and holding your remote, right? So, doesn't the position of your body behind the listening position dramatically alter the readings on the meter, especially relative to the surround channels?

Do you just run it through a few times from different standing positions and kind of use the average?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#42309 04/20/04 07:34 PM
ringmir Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
My immediate response would be, yes that sounds like it would be a good idea.

I imagine that if you were really creative and bored (emphasis mostly on bored), you could mount a mirror on the cieling, and take the cushions off your couch. Then you could lie on the (cushionless) couch and look through binoculars at the mirror on the cieling to read the meter.

If you are exceeding small and your body would not make a good approximate for the cushions on your couch, you could wrap yourself in a down comforter or something.

If you are exceeding large, and your body similarly would not be a good approximate for your cushions, you could simply move the entire couch into the other room and lie on the floor.

#42310 04/20/04 07:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

So, doesn't the position of your body behind the listening position dramatically alter the readings on the meter....

Not a stupid question at all. And yes, your body position will have an effect. That's another reason I went with a tripod. I have a 6.1 setup. With the meter mounted on the tripod, I was able to move back and off to one side, when calibrating my rear surround speaker, while still being able to read the meter, thus minimizing the effect of my body. For the side surrounds, I just had to move back. The meter (I use the digital) can be read from a number of feet away.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082