Print Thread
Rate Thread
Sound for an office
#347667 05/10/11 12:11 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I've changed my priorities and have decided to change one of my spare bedrooms into an office. The primary reason is to have a comfortable and functional environment in which to spend up to all day analyzing and trading stocks, derivatives, etc.

Normally, I prefer it quiet when in serious concentration mode, but I still would like some sort of sound system. My original thought would be to place 2 QS8's on each end of the narrow walls. I don't know how this would sound, though. It seems that this would fill the room with sound, but would it sound good, or just weird?

Room dimensions: Length 13.5, Width 8.5, Height 8. Only 1 foot clearance above doors and windows. Curtains might be below them on one end of the room, but nothing on the far end of the room. Floor is hardwood flooring. 2 windows in the room. I don't have to install curtains.

I'm thinking about just gutting it, drywall and all. That way I get to put in the lighting I want, rewire it and replace the crappy insulation. Tear out the blond wood built in shelves/drawers and replace with something more functional. Like some shelves, a place for a coffee pot and a receiver.

Also, the sliding doors over the closet will be put into storage to give the room an addition 2 foot of width, or perhaps replaced with something more decorative. (It's blond wood also. yuck).

Last edited by CatBrat; 05/10/11 12:17 PM.
Re: Sound for an office
CatBrat #347689 05/10/11 03:24 PM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
I'd go for in-wall/on-wall M3s. While the M22 is considered the better musical speaker, the M3's bass make it a better stand-alone unit. It's also a touch laid-back in the mids, which makes for an easy listen hours on end. I just wired an old pair in my office, and boy are they better than desktop speakers.

fhw #347703 05/10/11 05:15 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I know they would be a good choice. But, I'm was looking for ambiance that the QS8's might provide. Just waiting here to see if someone has had any experience in this area where only the QS8 or QS4 has been used.

CatBrat #347749 05/10/11 09:52 PM
devotee
devotee
Do you do online trading? If you do, could you advise me a place to start? thanks

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
Ichigo_Kurosaki #347768 05/10/11 11:44 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
You have to have time and access to a trading account during a time while the market you are trading in is open. It's always best to learn to paper trade first before using real money. I didn't take that advice and paid my tuition of a few grand in loses. I've read around 50 books on the subject and none of them are an all in one source. One of the best that I know of is

"Come Into My Trading Room. A Complete Guild to Trading" by Dr. Alexander Elder, along with it's study guide.

You also need to learn technical analysis. There are a lot of books on that topic out there. I recently discovered on Youtube.com DayTraderRockStar videos, and his pay website daytradingradio.com. Mostly I would stick with free websites, although I've subscribed to IBD (Invester Business Daily) and Telecharts with Worden Brothers.

Do a lot of reading, and applying what you read is probably the best advice. I've read a lot, but didn't do a whole lot in the applying department. One of the hardest things to learn is to buy low and sell high. Sounds easy enough, but try to put that into practice takes a lot of experience. Most traders lose due to the emotional factor and end up selling lower than they bought, usually to get out of a trade to avoid losing more. You do that enough times and it's good bye trading career.

Rule #1: Don't lose money. That's where technical analysis comes into play. Knowing when to buy and when to sell.

CatBrat #347833 05/11/11 11:35 AM
devotee
devotee
I have been studying technical analysis but on forex market only. It has been 1 year since my first book so guess that I am able to move into practicing with my own money after so many time of demo accounts. My main goal is on day trade and have plenty of free time to keep an eye on the market. Now this interest on CFD's, commodities and stocks are my new interest. Have been doing pretty well on my demo accounts but as investors say, since it is not my real money and emotions don't play a big role it is easy to win. smile My last trades last week just got 2300 bucks profit in 2 days and a huge loss of 1000$. Taking in consideration it will be my money at stake definitely will be much more conservative on the trades though.

Ichigo_Kurosaki #347834 05/11/11 12:00 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I'm not familiar with the term CFD, and couldn't find a logical explanation doing a search. What is CFD?

CatBrat #347835 05/11/11 12:06 PM
devotee
devotee
A contract for difference (CFD) is similar to a future. The difference is that a CFD cannot be settled by delivery. It an agreement to pay an amount based on the change in some number. This also means that a CFD can exist where the underlying asset is not deliverable.

For example, a CFD may pay £1 for every point an index gains (and charge £1 for every point the index loses). This means that it is possible to have CFDs on indices, natural phenomena (such as the weather) and anything else that is measurable.

It is common practice to call many CFDs futures - e.g., an index future. Where the underlying is not deliverable the "future" is in fact a CFD. CFDs sold to private investors also sometimes called spread bets.

Options with a non-deliverable underlying asset are also closely related to CFDs.

These contracts can resemble insurance contracts (in that they can transfer the risk of an event occurring) and cat bonds. A good example would be the purchase of CFDs or options on weather by a company that has a business that depends on weather conditions.

Ichigo_Kurosaki #347838 05/11/11 12:10 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Great. My experience is only in Stocks. I've studied options, but never traded them. Tried but was refused access to them by Scottrade. I probably need to move out of Scottrade into something else, but don't know what yet. I liked it at the time because it left a small footprint on my desktop at work. But they've redone their screens and it takes up more space now.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044