Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Things shoved inside your speakers
#13167 07/09/03 04:04 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
We have recently heard about some younguns placing toy cars into the speaker ports of jbz's beloved Axiom speakers, but what i wanted to know are two things:

Has anyone had any problems with extensive pet hair in their speakers?
and
Has anyone's cat(s) decided that the grilles make a superb scratching post?

I have a friend who is considering buying some new speakers and REALLY does have a pet hair problem in his living room (3 long haired dogs and 2 cats).
He was wondering if that would even constitute a fire hazard at all inside the speaker. Personally i think it might act like a speaker baffling material. The thought of it being blown out of a port into the popcorn bowl during a bass heavy passage is rather unappealing.

We own 2 dogs and one cat but so far do not have nearly the same hair problem as my friend. Our cat has not had the chance to attack the grilles b/c i leave them off.
Any comments or stories to help put his mind at ease?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: Things shoved inside your speakers
#13168 07/09/03 05:23 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist
I do get lots of hair on top of my Qs8s and some on my M80 grills. My cat does not like the speakers...at first, he was VERY interested in the M80s. I put a CD with some dog barks in and when he was rubbing on it, I unmuted it...he walks around the towers now!!! Hair, I use a lint roller to clean the grills and it is no problem. I dont know about hair in the ports, but you could always attemp to put a screen over the lower back port!

#13169 07/09/03 12:01 PM
M
regular
regular
M
Been wondering this myself. I just have one cat, but I've been worried about him eventually damaging the woofers with his claws. I was going to leave the grills on all the time to avoid this, even though I think they looks better with the grills off.

One thing I thought of was taking the grills off and spraying them with Lemon Pledge. Cats hate citrus smells. May work to keep them away from the grills.

#13170 07/09/03 04:28 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
It is kind of a trial and error experiment except that no one wants to have to experience the error part (the part where the cat scratches the heck out of the grille).
It could get expensive and i don't think Axiom's warranty covers pet damage.
I'm not even sure my house insurance covers pet damage.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters