Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I need help selecting a new system.
#111189 09/21/05 01:22 PM
clive Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
I relize this is maybe a biased place to post but I want to hear opinions from Axiom owners.

I'm looking to get a new system, I already sent the old one to my sister. After reading about and becoming interested in the technology behind the YSP-1, I went down to Tweeter and bought it. Two weeks latter I returned the unit. My room layout(a more or less L shaped floor plan) just wasn't compatible with the unit. I did love the way it sounded, very clear dialogue and fantastic surround on my left, front, and back, but a gapping void on my right. Anyway after taking it back the wife said "Our TV sounds like *@#$!, go get something."

I even got the ok to get floor standing speakers with the catch that I "better do something really nice for her $$$".

I've been looking at orbaudio.com for some time and the WAF on the system is huge, with the stipulation that I must get 4 HOSS stands. Which cost like $600, pretty steep for the stands.

I've also been looking at a 5.1 Mirage system at vanns.com. They have an Omni 255, 50, CC1, S10 setup for $1249. I liked the S8 sub I had when I auditioned the YSP1 and I've heard great things about the sweet spot on this system.

I've also heard great things about Axiom, but for my taste they are looking a bit DIY. I'm not an audiophile but I do love immersive surround sound. Clear dialogue is a total must for me, I find that I'm usually fiddling with the volume because the explosions on movie sound tracks are so much louder than the dialogue. "Turn it down you'll bother the neighbors" is a frequently used statement. I never listen to music. I play loads of video games and am drooling over the xbox 360. I can afford about 2k on a great sound system and dream of the day I can move it into my fantasy home theatre room.

I'm really considering the Epic Midi 125, possibly the M50ti for mains. Any input is appreciated.

Re: I need help selecting a new system.
#111190 09/21/05 01:59 PM
clive Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
I forgot to say that I have a 50" Grand Wega III in an 18.5 x 18.5 room.

Thanks!

#111191 09/21/05 02:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Take a look at the custom finishes. Maybe you'll find something a bit more visually appealing. As far as the sound goes, try ordering a pair of towers from Axiom for an in-home trial. That way, if you don't like them you'll only return two speakers rather than five. On the plus side, if you do like them I'm sure you can order the rest and still get the package discount.

Take a look at the audition thread and see if someone lives near to you.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#111192 09/21/05 02:48 PM
local
local
I would second the plan to buy just the mains to see how you like them. I own M50s ans M22s as well as several other axiom speakers for center and surrounds which I acquired later. Initially we went with the 50s for the mains and loved them. We bought the 22s for the bedroom afterwards. Part of our decision to get the 50s was the close cost between them and M22s plus stands. In direct listening comparison they both sound very good with subtle differences.

Mark
#111193 09/21/05 05:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Clive,

Yes, the Yamaha relies on having parallel side walls or it doesn't work properly.

Mirage builds decent speakers (I owned a pair of Mirage bipolar slabs for years) but with Mirage's omni or bipolar approach, you trade off neutrality and accuracy (which you get from Axiom) for the larger-than-life soundstage. I also disagree totally with Mirage's omni center channel speakers, which make for murky dialog, inhibiting clarity.

For your room, add two pairs of QS8 surrounds and you'd have wonderfully immersive surround, coupled with the precise soundstage from some M60 towers and a VP150 center for excellent dialog clarity.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#111194 09/21/05 05:38 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Alan said it before I could. I would try M60ti's first for that room with th VP150 and QS8's. I had 60's before I upgraded to 80's. I would try an EPIC 60-500 if you could swing it.

#111195 09/21/05 07:12 PM
clive Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Thanks for all the input, one of the reasons I posted here was because Axiom enjoys such a strong fan base.

Alan thanks very much for your input on the mirage center cc1, I was wondering about sound dispersion on the Omni center.

I think my situation is very simular to average joe HT buyer. I want good sound that won't upset the Wife or neighbors. Axiom seems very exspensive to me and while sound quality maybe something that is appreciated by the audiophile, will it make any difference in my family room were the volume never reaches epic levels? I've also got a dog, cat and central AC unit, all of which do reach epic levels, LOL.

Will I notice the difference between a good Axiom system and a JBL 300.7 HTIB? If I can get 90% of the sound for 30% of the price then Axiom or anoyone else who is High endish will be a no go.

I've been out to listen to several systems in the stores but I'm not convinced of thier honesty in setups, etc.

I know I can purchase two systems and return one but I'd like to save Tweeter from another round of my returns and I'd like to limit the number of systems I'm going to ship back.

I wouldn't want to only test a few components because for me, surround sound is the reason I decided not to keep the YSP-1.

I'd feel strange about trooping into someones home for an audtion but I will check that out on the forums, see who's around.

I imagine I waiting to hear someone say that their sound system is sent directly from heaven and those without it are just suckers. What I've been hearing from everyone to this point is...

"Yeah I used to work in X high end audio store like 20 years ago. I could tweak a $40 sound system so that the shopper thought he was hearing a $10,000 system every time."

I know Axiom builds a quality product, but 20 years from now will I care? I'll want the 4D Quadrophased Holographic system for 20 bucks at that point.

So will it realy make a difference today? I know this is a question I must answer for myself so I want to pick from 2 good systems. If Axiom makes a much better product than Orb Audio or Mirage then its what I should try out in my home.

Is there a signifigant difference between a micro-ish speaker like Orb's and a bookshelf like Axioms?

Either way it good to hear from educated consumers who made a careful selection. Thanks for all your input.

#111196 09/21/05 07:39 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Clive, you're the only person who can answer that question for yourself. We've all (probably) asked that question, and found the answer to be "Yes, the sound quality does matter!" If you can find someone nearby you to audition the speakers, that could help. The sound quality of the Axioms is so far beyond most other things I've heard (short of $2000-$15000 pairs of speakers), it absolutely made sense to get them.

As for the "DIY appearance" of Axioms, I'm guessing that means they don't have plastic cladding and exciting swoopy bits like the other speakers. I guess I don't really understand that comment...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#111197 09/21/05 08:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Boy! I've been struggling with a reply to your questions all day. I'm going to have to take them one at a time.

In reply to:

Axiom seems very expensive to me and while sound quality maybe something that is appreciated by the audiophile, will it make any difference in my family room were the volume never reaches epic levels?

Relative to HTIBs, and lesser speakers, I can understand Axioms seeming expensive. I know that when I first bought mine I thought I was paying an awful lot. But the reason I went with Axiom was because I felt they were less expensive (MUCH less in some cases) than the other brands I felt were in the same class. "Bang for the buck" is one of the reasons to buy Axioms.

In reply to:

Will I notice the difference between a good Axiom system and a JBL 300.7 HTIB? If I can get 90% of the sound for 30% of the price then Axiom or anyone else who is High endish will be a no go.

I owned a JBL HTIB shortly before I bought my Axioms. It was a 5.1 predecessor to the 300.7 which I have to admit I've never heard. BUT, based on my experience with my JBL HTIB, I'd wager the farm that for 30% of the price of Axioms, you're going to get 30%, or even less, of Axiom performance. The Axioms were impressively better than anything I'd ever owned.

In reply to:

I've been out to listen to several systems in the stores but I'm not convinced of thier honesty in setups, etc.

OH GOOD FOR YOU! I don't believe (or, at least I HOPE) most dealers are going to try to trick you, but I know for a fact it DOES happen. Your skepticism is wise. One of the advantages of Axioms and other internet only brands (IO) is that you can try them in your own room, with your own equipment, set up the way you want them. The downside to that is that you'd have to pay return shipping (only to Buffalo where Axiom has a return depot). For this reason, it is recommended you initially order only a pair of the main speakers in which you are interested (M80s, M60s, M50s,M22s, etc.), to see if the Axiom sound is for you. Then if you are impressed enough with their sound go ahead and order the center and surrounds. If you do this all within the 30 day trial period, and you feel you've made a mistake, you can still return the package for only return shipping.

In reply to:

I'd feel strange about trooping into someones home for an audition but I will check that out on the forums, see who's around.

Trust me. You mustn't feel the least bit strange about going for an audition. Most of us are quite proud of our systems and are dying to show off them off (dust and all ). It's a hobby we love. Only those who are willing volunteer for demos, and we all know that the Axiom sound isn't for everybody, so you needn't fear offending anyone.

In reply to:

I imagine I waiting to hear someone say that their sound system is sent directly from heaven and those without it are just suckers.

LOL! Well, while many of us may feel that way about our systems, we'd feel a little foolish coming out with that. And frankly, were I you, I'd be wary of anyone who did. There are several things we've learned by immersing ourselves in this hobby. One, there is no such thing as the perfect speaker. And, two, while we love our own, there are many speakers out there that are also excellent products. Speaker choice is very subjective. The one I love, you might loathe, and vice versa.

In reply to:

So will it realy make a difference today? I know this is a question I must answer for myself so I want to pick from 2 good systems. If Axiom makes a much better product than Orb Audio or Mirage then its what I should try out in my home.

As you wisely point out, that's a question you must answer for yourself. But I'd be ver surprised if it didn't make a difference today. I don't know anything about the Orbs or Mirages or the YSP, or what you've owned before. But, I CAN tell you the Axioms took me into a whole new ballpark. And while they may seem expensive to you, they are a better value than most of the others in that ballpark.

Your room is not a small room. Whatever direction you go in, think about a larger subwoofer than the 125. You have a good amount of air to move in that space. If the budget won't allow that, then go with what it will allow, and don't worry about it.

I know I must be sounding like a salesman through this monologue, but the truth is, I don't even own Axioms anymore (It's a long story. And trust me, you don't want to hear it). But I've stuck around because I found so many good friends here, and because I believe in Axiom's people and products.

Are Axioms for you? "You know who" is the only one that can answer that.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#111198 09/21/05 09:13 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Not too many things to add after all the other wrote. I also suggest you may try to audition at somebody's home, before you actually buy any speakers. See if there is somebody near you at "Hearing things" thread. Good luck with your decision.

BTW, I came from JBL Northridge E60 floorstanders to Axiom, and I can tell you that there is a very noticable difference in quality.

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,000 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup