Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Best Way to Connect Notebook Computer to Receiver?
#122066 12/28/05 03:00 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 that I'm trying to connect to My new Integra 6.6 AVR. With my previous notebook and previous receiver, I was able to simply connect an 1/8 inch connection into the headphone jack and connect the rCA cables into the L/R tape input. It sounded pretty good. Now, when I connect the same way (w/ new notebook), the volume loss is about half along with the quality.

I subscribe to Rhapsody and have also suffered a loss in quality. I also purchased Creative Soundblaster and there is an optical out (1/8 inch) w/ an optical connection but I cannot figure out where to get it or if this will help.

I'm thinking my next step is to updrage by Radio Shack RCA cables and try that first.

Any other thoughts or suggestions that I should try. If I use my Sennheiser HD 595 Headphones, it sounds great.

I currently have de-installed the Creative and am using the soundcard that came with the computer.

Re: Best Way to Connect Notebook Computer to Recei
#122067 12/28/05 05:57 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You can get an external creative soundcard and use SPDIF (digital) out to the receiver.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
Re: Best Way to Connect Notebook Computer to Receiver?
#122068 12/28/05 12:09 PM
buff
buff
Not to ask a dumb question (as I don't know your level of computer skills, and you may have already checked this), but have you checked the volume settings on the sound output from your PC?

I don't know of any notebook audio cards having "line out" (non-amplified), so I would lean toward an external audio card that has either a coax or optical digital output.

A standard headphone audio output is subject to whatever you have the audio levels set at on the PC. Using an external audio card with a direct digital output, gives you a line level audio output, then puts the digital to analog conversion tasks onto your receiver, a D/A converter, I am guessing, with a bit more horsepower than the one on your Dell.

Check Creative Lab's USB Soundblaster Digital Music LX;
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=207&product=10246

or, if you've got a spare PC card slot;
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=204&product=10769

Good luck,
Spence

"Someone tries to kill you - you kill 'em right back!" Capt. Mal Reynolds

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 175 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup