Print Thread
Rate Thread
HD movies in Dolby Digital Plus & Dolby TrueHD
#149355 10/14/06 03:07 PM
Jc Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
For once, the future looks bright for early adaptors. When the next generation of A/V receivers will appear with the newest formats from Dolby; titles will already be available. You will find below a list of titles available and a brief introduction to the technology copied and pasted from http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/tech_overview.html.

I’m convinced that the next receivers coming to the market will offer more than 7 channels outputs and possibly also more than 7 channels of amplification. With so many discrete channels available, it will easily be possible to extract additional ones to fill in spaces. I would not be surprised to see a center rear channel extracted from the left and right rear surrounds as the first one to be proposed.

It looks like Axiom multi-channel amp will be breaking ground not only with its technology prowess but also with the minimum number of required channels. In case you missed it, you can read a bit more about Axiom soon to be released amplifier at http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/AxiomAudio2.php.

Dobly Digita Plus Technology

Dolby ®Digital Plus is the next-generation audio technology for all high-definition programming and media. It combines the efficiency to meet future broadcast demands with the power and flexibility to realize the full audio potential of the upcoming high-definition experience. Built on Dolby Digital, the multichannel audio standard for DVD and HD broadcasts worldwide, Dolby Digital Plus was designed for the delivery formats of the future, but remains fully compatible with all current A/V receivers. With Dolby Digital Plus, you get even higher quality audio, more channels, and greater flexibility.

Features
• Multichannel sound with discrete channel output.
• Channel and program extensions can carry multichannel audio programs of up to 7.1 channels* and support multiple programs in a single encoded bitstream.
• Outputs a Dolby Digital bitstream for playback on existing Dolby Digital systems.
• Supports data rates as high as 6 Mbps.
• Bit rate performance of at least 3 Mbps on HD DVD and up to 1.7 Mbps on Blu-ray Disc.
• Accurately reproduces what the director and producer intended.
• Interactive mixing and streaming capability in advanced systems.
• Supported by HDMI™, the new single-cable digital connection for high-definition audio and video.

Dolby Digital Plus movies available

• Warner Bros
o The Last Samurai
o Million Dollar Baby
o GoodFellas
o Swordfish
o Rumor Has It…
o Full Metal Jacket
o Unforgiven
o Blazing Saddles
o The Fugitive
o Firewall
o 16 Blocks
o Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
o Syriana
o Lethal Weapon
o The Dukes of Hazzard
o Enter the Dragon
o ATL
o Caddyshack
o Good Night, and Good Luck.
o The Searchers
o House of Wax
o Lethal Weapon 2
o Space Cowboys
o Troy

• Paramount Pictures
o Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
o Sahara
o Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
o Sleepy Hollow
o Four Brothers
o The Manchurian Candidate
o We Were Soldiers
o U2: Rattle and Hum
o Aeon Flux
o The Italian Job

• Universal Pictures
o Serenity
o Apollo 13
o Doom (Unrated)
o Assault on Precinct 13
o Cinderella Man
o Jarhead
o The Bourne Supremacy
o The Chronicles of Riddick
o U-571
o Van Helsing
o Happy Gilmore
o The Rundown
o Friday Night Lights
o Pitch Black (Unrated)
o Ray
o Animal House
o Unleashed
o The Bone Collector
o Spy Game
o Red Dragon
o Seabiscuit
o Traffic

Dolby TrueHD Technology

Dolby® TrueHD is Dolby’s next-generation lossless technology developed for high-definition disc-based media. Dolby TrueHD delivers tantalizing sound that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master, unlocking the true high-definition entertainment experience on next-generation discs. When coupled with high-definition video, Dolby TrueHD offers an unprecedented home theater experience that lets you enjoy sound as stunning as the high-definition picture.

Features
• 100 percent lossless coding technology.
• Up to 18 Mbps bit rate.
• Supports up to eight full-range channels of 24-bit/96 kHz audio.*
• Supported by High-Definition Media Interface (HDMI™), the new single-cable digital connection for audio and video.
• Supports extensive metadata including dialogue normalization and dynamic range control.
*Dolby TrueHD can support more than eight audio channels. HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc standards currently limit their maximum number of audio channels to eight.

Dolby TrueHD movies available

• Warner Bros
o The Phantom of the Opera
o Training Day
o Constantine
o The Perfect Storm

JC - Axiom Audio Expert

Re: HD movies in Dolby Digital Plus & Dolby TrueHD
Jc #149356 10/14/06 03:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Very informative. Thanks JC!

I'm guessing people may begin using a particular scene from "Blazing Saddles" as a reference test for surround sound. An added bonus would be some subwoofer content as well. Keeping my fingers crossed.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Jc #149357 10/17/06 01:42 AM
veteran
veteran
add Batman Begins to TrueHD

2-M80v2 VP150 4-QS8 EP500 DENON 4306 Panny AE900 Toshiba HD-XA1/PS3
jimmienorton #149358 10/17/06 07:07 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
I’ve listened to most of the TrueHD soundtracks on HD-DVD. They are cleaner and tighter than the DD+, but I wasn’t immediately blown away by them. I’m hoping once I get my M60s, that’ll change.

VP150 / QS8(3) / M60s

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters