Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Amie Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/12/07 01:48 AM
Looking for opinions again, please! The outdoor M3 speakers will be available in four finishes. At this point, we are thinking of having them in Black, White, Cape Cod Grey, and Off White. Does that sound like the best collection, or are there other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Jim_Perkins Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/12/07 01:56 AM
I'd call the off-white one something fancier than off-white.
I'm not a color guru , but someone will have some ideas.
good luck with the new products.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/12/07 01:59 AM
Many newer houses, at least in Iowa, have a light tan, cream, or taupe siding, so this might be a consideration if people want something to match their exterior siding.
Posted By: Amie Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/12/07 02:05 AM
I was trying to think of a way to encapsulate the colors Sirquack listed without envoking other colors in your mind - taupe / almond / ecru / tan / off white . . . toughie!
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/12/07 02:53 AM
Amie,

would Axiom consider any wood looking finishes? These may match certain backyard decks. I can think of my uncle who's deck is a mahogany type stain. A similar pair of M3's would probably look nice.
Posted By: LT61 Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/12/07 02:53 AM
I think narrowing it down, to the most common neutral vinyl siding, and deck colors.....is a good start.
Maybe a brown, or faux wood, instead of gray, too.

Posted By: bridgman Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/12/07 03:46 AM
Do you really need Black for outdoor speakers ? I would replace black with some kind of brown/taupe already being discussed.

I tried a couple of "wood-like" brown colours for the outside of my house and ended up painting over them all in dark green. Just a thought
Posted By: real80sman Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/12/07 06:41 AM
Quote:

Many newer houses, at least in Iowa, have a light tan, cream, or taupe siding......

Yep, the same here in SW Ontario - taupe is huge right now.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/12/07 11:26 AM
Make them look like hornet nests apparently that stops the real ones from setting up camp as they are very territorial.

Any chance you could offer a paintable set?

I also vote for dumping black.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/12/07 02:13 PM
Maybe a paintable finish as a standard!

Ford beat me to it! But that was my first thought.
Posted By: Amie Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/12/07 03:22 PM
Actually, all the finishes would be paintable - outdoor paint will cover the four standard finishes with no problem at all. We're just trying to figure out the four most popular colors so that people don't have to paint if they don't want to.

I'm not sure how we would do a faux wood finish - what wood would you faux? (that was just fun to say.) I'm interested in suggestions.

So far for standard finishes, what are the thoughts?
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/12/07 03:44 PM
I know this is hovering about in most of our minds...But is there a tentative date as to when the Outdoor Speakers will be available?

Also, any idea as to pricing?

Lots of landscaping to do...Axiom tunes would make the job(s) easier...

Regards,

WhatFurrer
Posted By: LT61 Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/12/07 04:21 PM
The faux wood finish I envisioned was, where a "wood grain" is created with a brush, and then a glossy poly-seal. This looks like wood, even up close.
I don't know if this is feasible, or cost effective....but it would look cool....IMO.

AND, a Cypress green, too.....(just happens to be the color of my siding)
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/12/07 04:34 PM
Quote:

what wood would you faux?

LOL! How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood?

I agree that black seems unnecessary. I like the white, brown, cream and grey options. I'd hope that the grey is really a mid-tone and not just a light color that could be construed as white in the absence of any proximal contrary evidence.

Forgive me if I missed the discussion elsewhere, but are these ported speakers? And if so, what ingenious ideas have you come up with to keep out bugs, water, etc.?

While I'm rambling, I'm curious about the vision for mouting the outdoor speakers. For either aesthetic or practical purposes, many people may strongly desire mounting them horizontally. Will some kind of "universal" mounting bracket be included with the speakers, or is the assumption that users will purchase FMB as necessary?
Posted By: real80sman Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/12/07 07:19 PM
One of my votes went to "other". I'd like to see a textured or rubberized finish which is super durable, and that wouldn't mark easily.
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/12/07 07:33 PM
For those that have brick houses, brick tones would be nice!
Posted By: Amie Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/12/07 09:53 PM
The outdoor speakers will be available soon and the price is just excellent Barring any unforeseen problems, we should have them on the site in six weeks or so. I believe the price is the same as regular M3s - but I reserve the right to be wrong about that!
Posted By: Amie Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/12/07 09:55 PM
Tom, I can't get Ian's attention just now so I'll let him answer you a little bit later - but yes, the speakers are ported and screened. I'm not sure if it's FMB mounting or not so I'll let him answer those questions.

Cape Cod Grey is a light-but-nowhere-near-white grey.
Posted By: ctown Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/15/07 05:14 AM
I voted for the standard black, white, cape cod and a cedar wood grain would be nice for "other"
Posted By: a401classic Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/16/07 07:44 AM
A check in the "Other" box maybe arouund a camo theme like http://www.camowraps.com/sheets.php to really blend in.

Sorry, the South is apparently rubbing off on me.

Scott
Posted By: Ajax Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/16/07 01:38 PM
LOL! Please don't start making outdoor speakers shaped like rocks, or bushes, or muskrats.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/16/07 04:00 PM
Jack, I understand they ARE working on a custom snake-shaped version for BrotherBob.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/16/07 04:29 PM

Posted By: Murph Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/19/07 04:23 PM
Question for Amie or Axiom.

I live by the ocean and my deck faces the water. I spend a lot of time on my deck three seasons a year and I'm wondering if the new outdoor speakers will have a bit of salt resistance. I know you are not making Marine grade speakers and I don't live close enough for a rogue wave to come over the bank or anything but I do have to regularly clean the salt off my windows so I can see out.

I'd hate to buy expensive outdoor speakers and have the drivers erode away in a year. Yes, I'd cover them when not in use but sometimes there is an invisible salt spray in the breeze on an otherwise gorgeous day.

Thanks,
and if you need a beta tester for ocean climates, I'd be glad to help out.
Posted By: spish Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/21/07 03:07 AM
red cedar as would match many a deck or dock. just don't do a pressure treated version!

-s
Posted By: spish Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/21/07 03:13 AM
also keep in mind that these will be in the sun. black in sun = hot! white is also very trendy now. sunglasses, shoes, just about everything from Apple, even white cars are making a comeback! seriously, I saw a white BMW 330i today and didn't even throw up in my mouth a little, or think "it looks like a rental car". funny how that happened.

hopefully a non-yellowing veneer will be used. even black will go gray in the sun over time.

-s
Posted By: Amie Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/21/07 10:11 AM
Hi Murph;

It is our intention to make them salt air resilient and we are testing for that right now - stay tuned!
Posted By: Murph Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/22/07 03:34 PM
Quote:

Hi Murph;

It is our intention to make them salt air resilient and we are testing for that right now - stay tuned!

That's good news. Thanks for replying.
Posted By: Jim_Perkins Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/23/07 01:10 AM
good luck
that may be an added expense that most dont need.
well i guess their gonna get rained on anyway, so maybe it isnt a big deal.

I used to repair pagers, back when mostly doctors and hookers had them. this outfit from florida bought us up, and started sending his bad units up to us to fix. I was surprised at what being in that environment can do. Well just look at the roofs on the homes on the coasts, and you'll get the picture.

i guess it all boils down to how the warranty is written.

lots of luck with the new product, and thanks for the axiom bucks, i got them today

Quote:

Hi Murph;

Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/23/07 03:10 PM
Quote:

i guess it all boils down to how the warranty is written.

Somehow I think splatter-proof is not covered!
Posted By: Murph Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/27/07 12:10 AM
Quote:

good luck
that may be an added expense that most dont need.

What can I say, I live in Canada. Coastlines on 3 of four sides. I also live on an Island. Coastlines on all sides.

In fact, I'd like to see some self powered, sea kayak speakers in Axiom's near future!! That might be a bit of a niche market though.
Posted By: jcPanny Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/27/07 07:09 PM
How about some earth tones to blend in better with the landscape. Maybe a brown or a sand/tan shade.
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: Outdoor M3 Speakers - 03/27/07 07:14 PM
Price point on the Algonquins???
Nacho,
Quote:

Price point on the Algonquins???

Amie stated this:
Quote:

The outdoor speakers will be available soon and the price is just excellent Barring any unforeseen problems, we should have them on the site in six weeks or so. I believe the price is the same as regular M3s - but I reserve the right to be wrong about that!

The question I have is: How are these speakers going to be mounted (FMB or other) and will the speakers come with whatever brackets needed to mount them (preferred)?

Or, will the brackets be an additional cost?

Inquiring minds want to know...

WhatFurrer
They don't appear to come with brackets. Anyone know what the distance is between the mounting holes on the back? I'm assuming these are the same as the QS and VP series, since those work with the FM brackets. I can never think to look at my VP when I'm at home and it's not listed in any of the manuals that I can find.

Anyone know when these puppies are scheduled to start shipping? I thought it was at the beginning of this week.
That is the bad part, Axiom does not provide no brackets or mounts. I tried some from my local store, but the Algonquins are a bit heavy, thus these mounts can't handle the weight. I was forced to purchase the Full-Metal Brackets from axiom. It is an additional $80 to the price of the Algonquins.

Other manufactures include mounts/brackets. Now I have to wait a couple of more days to mount them. Bummer!
Try to find the omnimount 10...I was told that might work.
Those are $30 each total of $60...not including shipping. I purchased the FM brackets from Axiom. Seem more sturdy, plus they are from Axiom and would rather give them the business.
Ahh I thought it was 30 total for both. Only think I like about the 10's is you can mount them vert. You can find them for 26 ea with no shipping. I would rather give axiom the sale but I would also rather mounting them vert.
I'm quite sure that the Axiom FMB will allow vertical mounting.
from what I understand they dont... and you have to have the tweeters facing the same direction.

I just realized maybe we talking about different ones...I am talking about ceiling mounts...not the wall mounts.
My bad. Sorry. I was thinking of the wall mounts.
After thinking about it I thought you were. I need to hang mine from the ceiling or I would just get the axiom wall mounts. I will be getting those for my B&W's in my garage tho
© Axiom Message Boards