Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Amie Computer Speaker Update - 05/30/07 06:21 PM
Hi everyone;

A little progress report on this project: in response to customer feedback and suggestions when we announced the computer speaker series, we decided that the best configuration for the speakers would actually be an external amp, which would allow customers to use the speakers either as part of the computer speaker package, or as part of a stereo or surround sound set up in a smaller room. That change started at the end of March, and required our engineers to go back to the drawing board, so to speak.

They've finished the engineering of the amp and the speakers, and I have the prototype amp (Amie, don't touch any of the parts!) and prototype speakers on my desk now and they're amazing! CDs and podcasts alike sound fantastic. Alan will be performing rigourous listening tests with them this month, and when he and Ian are satisfied, we'll begin tooling the amp and putting together the circuit boards. The amp will be designed in the style of the AX1400 amp from a physical perspective.

The system is going to be delayed until August at the earliest, so no luck on the Father's Day gift idea, and for that you have my apologies! We're really excited about this system - hope you are too!
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Computer Speaker Update - 05/30/07 06:43 PM
is it just a 2 channel amp? How many watts/channel? I have been looking for a little 2 channel amp to drive some studio monitors (the M3s or M22s). I am guessing it won't be as crazy high tech as the AX1400-8, which in turn should make it quite affordable?
Posted By: dllewel Re: Computer Speaker Update - 05/30/07 08:19 PM
Thanks very much for the detailed update Amie. I am excited to see the final product. It sounds like it will be worth the wait.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Computer Speaker Update - 05/30/07 08:20 PM
Thanks for the update Amie.

Randy
Posted By: CV Re: Computer Speaker Update - 05/31/07 12:51 AM
I'm excited! I'm giving my current computer speakers away tomorrow (someone else has a greater need), so August (or whenever they're released) can't come soon enough. Do we already know what inputs it's going to have?
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Computer Speaker Update - 05/31/07 04:27 AM
I really like the idea of a seperate amplifier for the speakers, Perhaps the first of its kind?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Computer Speaker Update - 05/31/07 11:56 AM
Has any preliminary pricing been released? I just ordered a Photoshop workstation yesterday (sans speakers) and the new Axioms might be nice in flanking the honkin' 24" monitor!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Computer Speaker Update - 05/31/07 05:49 PM
You call 24" a honkin monitor? My 30" (w/17" sidekick) laughs at you.

Posted By: Hutzal Re: Computer Speaker Update - 05/31/07 05:53 PM
lol
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 05/31/07 06:04 PM
My boss says that's Photoshopped.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Computer Speaker Update - 05/31/07 06:27 PM
I wasn't aware that honkitude had anything to do with size.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Computer Speaker Update - 05/31/07 06:56 PM
Nice setup Peter, but it will still be put to shame once Mark has his Axiom computer speakers.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Computer Speaker Update - 05/31/07 07:56 PM
Is this the old "mine is bigger than yours" thing?
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Computer Speaker Update - 05/31/07 08:04 PM
sorry Jack, you only qualify for the, "mine is older," peeing match.

jk of course!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Computer Speaker Update - 05/31/07 08:08 PM
Nuh UH! My 19 inch widescreen is only a few months old.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 05:35 PM
Back on topic...

Since Axiom estimated about $500-$600 for the new computer speakers with the sub, I think this price point is as high as they want to go with this system. With that said, I think the amp they are going to include can only be around $100-$200 of the cost, any other opinions? I know I know, I am really fixed on this little amp, I would love to get a little 2 channel 50 watts per channel for my studio at a good price point...just wishful thinking
Posted By: Mojo Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 05:43 PM
Why 50W/channel? With (relatively) efficient speakers like Axiom's, I'd be happy with 20W/channel for casual listening. If I want to do serious listening, I'll listen to my bigger system.

Where else would you like to see the money put on this amp besides power?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 05:45 PM
Quote:

Why 50W/channel? With (relatively) efficient speakers like Axiom's, I'd be happy with 20W/channel for casual listening. If I want to do serious listening, I'll listen to my bigger system.

Where else would you like to see the money put on this amp besides power?

I would want 50 watts, I just think it makes it more useful in other situations (IE: a bedroom setup). If Emotiva can sell a 2 x 75 watt amp for $159USD, I think Axiom will be able to sell a 2 x 50 watt (or less) amp for a $100USD price point. Man would that be a dream come true. You can't really find amps like that on the market today. I would request the ability to use a universal remote for volume trim, they don't have to include a remote, just have the ability to use one.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 06:15 PM
Robb, I think you're dreaming. Axiom has to recoup significant R&D costs on this thing, and they don't have the sales volume to be a built-in-China loss-leader.

I'm hoping that the amp will be "integrated" to the point that it accepts 2 inputs and has a volume knob.

I'm confused about the format and form factor, especially given Amie's comment:

Quote:

The amp will be designed in the style of the AX1400 amp from a physical perspective

I don't understand what that means.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 06:17 PM
It'll have the concave front with the half in/half out logo, at least that's how I'm reading it. Hopefully it won't be a full sized amp--I'm not sure how much room I have on my desk!
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 06:17 PM
Well, the R&D costs will be covered by the A1400-8 sales, since I am assuming that the little amp will use a similar design, and will not need the same R&D that the A1400-8 uses.

I too am confused by that comment that Amie made as well.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 06:19 PM
There's no way that a 2 channel version of an 8 channel, $3500 amp will be used in a $500 set of computer speakers.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 06:37 PM
We're really opening up a can of worms . Better now than after the product is built I suppose. I think Axiom needs to take a step back and evaluate this entire development in my opinion.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 06:39 PM
But if all they want to do is make a really nice set of computer speakers, they don't have to. If they want to make a small shelf system (which is really what you guys seem to be going for), they do.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 06:44 PM
Quote:

Hi everyone;

...we decided that the best configuration for the speakers would actually be an external amp, which would allow customers to use the speakers either as part of the computer speaker package, or as part of a stereo or surround sound set up in a smaller room...

It looks like they are expanding the use of their new mini speakers to more than a computer speaker, which is why they are re-thinking their strategy.

And regarding the amp, of course it wouldn't have exactly the same guts as the A1400-8, but it can still use a similar design, whereby the R&D would not be as much as the A1400-8, as we know that has been in development for over a year.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 06:45 PM
Obviously my reading comprehension skills are at an all time low...
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 06:47 PM
I didn't want to state the obvious
Posted By: Mojo Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 06:48 PM
Don't feel bad. I missed the part in bold as well.

So this means that it will be able to do 7.1??? In what form factor and price point? And how is this differentiated from the 100,000 other amp options out there?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 06:50 PM
But wait... she mentions the speakers, not the amp itself. The speakers would be detachable and usable elsewhere, but it doesn't necessarily imply that it's going to be a 2 channel integrated amp based on the AX1400-8.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 06:52 PM
I pm'd Amie today about the amp, she said they are at the drawing board in the next 2 weeks to decide if the amp should be a 5 channel amp, or a 2 channel. She said they would know in 2 weeks what they are doing.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

as well, another quote from Amie "the amp will be designed in the style of the AX1400 amp from a physical perspective." implies that it will not be based on the A1400-8 internal design, so that settles that! It will probably not be digital, It would simply not be cost effective.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 07:15 PM
I don't think the world needs another 5-channel amp.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 07:36 PM
Man, there's a lot of second-guessing here!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 07:42 PM
I think we're up to 15th guessing!
Posted By: Mojo Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 07:50 PM
How about an A100-8 ?
Posted By: Ian Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 08:16 PM
Everyone,

It is wonderful to get everyone’s feedback on our new computer system; we greatly appreciate it. I will see if I can answer all the questions so far below.

Where we are at currently is two versions of the amp. One is 2 channels and the other has 5.1 channels. The power will be around 60 watts per channel. There are two similarities to the A1400 series of amps; the look of the front panel and the fact that it is a digital amp with an analog toroidial power supply. Since this amp is low power (compared to the A1400) it is not the same amp board design. The amp is a separate box from the speakers and the sub and is about 4” x 8” x 10” HWD with a volume control. There is also a volume control on the back of one of the satellites so you will be able to control the volume from three places including your computer. Since the x-overs for the satellites are in the amp box it would not be usable as a stand alone amp. Everything is connected using supplied and colour coded 3.5mm stereo cables. A third and fourth version of the amp could be made that did not have the x-overs in them for use on its own; it would depend on the demand. We are looking at selling the amp and the satellites as a package with the sub being optional. The amp and satellites are probably going to end up around $300 - $350 and the sub around $190.

I think I covered all the questions here but let me know what I missed or if there is anything else we should be considering.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 08:20 PM
So the 2 channel version has no provision for the sub (ie, the sub is passive and only powered by the 5.1 version), or the sub is active and fed somehow by the 5.1 version and the 2 channel version?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 08:23 PM
Ian:
Thanks for the info!

Will the amp have an external input? I think the setups' versatility (and therefore it's market) will increase exponentially if someone has the ability to hook up a CD player or MP3 player allowing use as a bedroom or office system.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 08:24 PM
Thanks for the update Ian,

I was hoping for an amp that could also be used with a couple of M22s in a 2 channel bedroom setting, or den setting. (a stand alone amp)

Is it possible to bypass the crossover with a switch to disable it? You could also add different crossover's like the EP series' back amp plate, (Bypass,100,80,60,40, etc.) This would make it possible to use the amp in a 2 channel setup without a sub, and would make the amp more versatile for a simple 2 channel setup with any of Axioms bookshelves. Also, binding posts would be needed as well I guess, not sure how much those cost to include.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 08:24 PM
I would expect an external input. Computer sounds don't transmit to the speakers by magic, ya know.
Posted By: Ian Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 08:24 PM
kcarlile,

The sub also works on the 2 channel system. There is a seperate purple 3.5mm output for it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 08:25 PM
OK, that makes more sense.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 08:26 PM
Quote:

I would expect an external input. Computer sounds don't transmit to the speakers by magic, ya know.

Smart***! I should have said a second input... maybe RCA.....
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 08:29 PM
I really like and appreciate how gracious Ian is.

Sounds like a GREAT product.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 08:30 PM
OK, what computer can't play mp3s or CDs? I could see it if you wanted to save some energy--I've done similar, but...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 08:51 PM
Quote:

OK, what computer can't play mp3s or CDs?

A computer that's running "clean" because someone is gaming or using Photoshop or doing some CAD drawings. I'm just saying that if it had a pair or RCAs on the back, they could market it a little differently, that's all.... I'm not saying it's worthless otherwise.

I can think of a TON of uses for a little amp and nice sounding speakers.... the aforementioned office or bedroom system, or howzabout:

**a little sound system for a TV (not home theater, exactly, but much better quality than built-in speakers). My hard-of-hearing parents would love this, because they don't care about surround or complicated receivers.

**a nice quality sound system for trade shows

**a nice quality monitoring system for audio editors...one that can be fed from the computer as well as a mixing board through tape out/RCA input....

**a waiting room/reception area sound system for good quality background music

Again, it's a good product with just a minijack input, but possibly a much more versatile product if it has two inputs.

Not everyone will spend $500 for computer speakers, but let it compete with the Bose Wave systems and such that you find in offices all over, and it'll blow them out of the water.

But, in my opinion, the average Joe can't jury-rig this stuff. He sees an RCA out on his disc player, and he wants an RCA-in on this.... even if an adaptor cable is supplied. Some people want the quality of a rig like this, and MANY want the simplicity. Receivers scare them.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 08:55 PM
I don't really have an opinion on the computer speakers. I just wanted to say in general this section of the axiom forums is really cool. getting involved in all the details as Ian and company work through the ideas. Thanks for including us & keeping us up to date.
Jake
Posted By: Ian Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 09:27 PM
I think if we went the route of not hooking it up to a computer a separate model of the amp would be required. Beyond getting rid of the x-over in there we would need RCA inputs, binding post outputs, and the gain structure would probably have to change too. Since the idea would be good power and low price getting rid of those x-overs would be imperative.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/01/07 11:04 PM
You win, sir.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/02/07 12:30 AM
Quote:

I think if we went the route of not hooking it up to a computer a separate model of the amp would be required. Beyond getting rid of the x-over in there we would need RCA inputs, binding post outputs, and the gain structure would probably have to change too. Since the idea would be good power and low price getting rid of those x-overs would be imperative.

I think the binding posts and RCA jacks are a good idea for the 2.1 amp, regardless. A trim pot (or volume control) and crossover bypass switch would eliminate having to produce two different versions of the amp. I think this would appeal to a broader range of customers. (For 2nd zone, and stand alone iPod use) That's the one I would buy to drive my existing M3's. But I can see how this could be off-putting to someone who just wants a dedicated, plug-and-play computer speaker system.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/02/07 12:36 AM
I still think that adding those extra features to the amp for computer speakers will likely push the price too far. A derivative amp with those features is probably a good idea, though.
Posted By: CV Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/02/07 02:44 AM
The derivative amp idea sounds fair to me.
Posted By: LT61 Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/05/07 03:31 AM
Like many audio products over the years, computer companies also seem to be going back and forth, between silver or black "finishes".
In my opinion, with the new HP computers now in black, and Dell, also in black...........I would offer both silver, and black, as the other colours.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/07/07 01:25 AM
I think silver is passe. Everyone in the world has a silver Honda or a silver compact GM SUV now.

How about black plus a distinctive / tasteful colour that is just different enough to be noticed -- maybe Burgundy or British Racing Green.

EDIT -- not sure I understand why the crossovers would need to be taken out in order to support non-computer inputs. Is that just to get the price point down enough for the market ? Isn't the need for crossovers a function of the speakers you hook up, not the input source ?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/07/07 01:33 AM
Does anodized aluminum count as silver?
Posted By: bridgman Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/07/07 01:59 AM
You have an anodized aluminum Honda ?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/07/07 02:00 AM
I'm not sure where you got the idea that the cross-overs were a function of the input source. The cross-overs were incorporated in the amp to reduce costs. Rather unfortunate as I wanted to mate this amp with different speakers.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/07/07 02:02 AM
From Ian's post, although I may have mis-interpreted it :

>>I think if we went the route of not hooking it up to a computer a separate model of the amp would be required. Beyond getting rid of the x-over in there we would need RCA inputs, binding post outputs, and the gain structure would probably have to change too.

It's quite possible that Ian meant "not hooking it up to the computer or selling amp and speakers as a set"...
Posted By: Mojo Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/07/07 02:06 AM
I understood this as meaning that he targetted the PC market only.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/07/07 04:30 PM
Yeah, I've got a silver Honda. Sigh. Oh well, it was inexpensive and it runs.

Plus the side's not bashed in.

Dark blue! Dark blue!

I would guess that the crossover's for the sub.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/07/07 05:13 PM
Well, I had to look back to make sure I wasn't crazy, but Ian said...

Quote:

Since the x-overs for the satellites are in the amp box it would not be usable as a stand alone amp

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/07/07 05:19 PM
How I was interpreting that was that the crossovers between the sub and the sats were in the amp, not the crossovers between the tweeters and mids. For the second to work, there would have to be separate connections between the amp and each driver.

On the other hand, you would almost have to buy the sub if the crossovers between the sub and the sats were in the amp. Otherwise, you'd be missing the lower frequencies even more than if you just had the sats. On the gripping hand, the sats playing low bass would probably not be good.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/07/07 07:02 PM
Ah Ha. D'oh.

Posted By: Hutzal Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/07/07 10:15 PM
I guess what I am wondering is whats the point of having an external amp like that (a little black box) that now you have to find a place to put the box if it is JUST dedicated for the computer speakers? Mid as well implement it somehow into the computer speakers or something so a separate amp isn't needed.

However, if Axiom sold a separate amp that would work both with the computer system, and a stand alone 2 channel amp for other speakers, it would make more sense to me, and would probably reach a broader market.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/07/07 11:05 PM
If it works better, I'm all for it.
Posted By: NOLAGT Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/13/07 01:10 PM
How about an internial amp on the computer speakers so no black box is needed BUT if you want the small axiom 2ch amp you can still bypass the internial amp for a more powerfull setup OR use the axiom 2ch amp for other setups around the house.

Best of both worlds.....
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/13/07 02:40 PM
Quote:

How about an internial amp on the computer speakers so no black box is needed BUT if you want the small axiom 2ch amp you can still bypass the internial amp for a more powerfull setup OR use the axiom 2ch amp for other setups around the house.

Best of both worlds.....

This is kind of what I am getting at...there is no need for an external amp if it is JUST for the computer speakers. If that is the case, impliment them into the computer speakers themselves (including the crossovers etc).

An external amp for a computer system is more of a nuisance than a convenience, especially in an office. But if the external amp powered the computer speakers, and a 2 channel system with M22s or something if the consumer wanted, it would make more sense.
Posted By: NOLAGT Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/13/07 08:52 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Best of both worlds.....

This is kind of what I am getting at...there is no need for an external amp if it is JUST for the computer speakers. If that is the case, impliment them into the computer speakers themselves (including the crossovers etc).

An external amp for a computer system is more of a nuisance than a convenience, especially in an office. But if the external amp powered the computer speakers, and a 2 channel system with M22s or something if the consumer wanted, it would make more sense.

Exactly...I wouldnt get them if I had to have an extra black box to anoying the wife with...I just dont listen to music on the computer that much.

So I would make the amp built in...then relese a 2ch amp that could work on the computer speakers (put a bypass switch on the computer speakers)if you wanted to pump them up OR some other 2ch setup you want.

I dont know if a sub was talked about with the computer speakers but that would catch my eye faster than a extra black box of power.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/13/07 11:31 PM
Probably a little late now--they just changed the design from that to the external amp. There's probably a good reason for this.
Posted By: NOLAGT Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/14/07 12:33 AM
Quote:

Probably a little late now--they just changed the design from that to the external amp. There's probably a good reason for this.

A lil late to the show huh lol

Well if there is a black amp box...make it the same foot print size of the CPU tower so it can stack on top neatly. OR have vents on the side/back and be able to stack the CPU tower on top of the black box.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/14/07 01:55 AM
Which tower? A Dell? An HP? A G4? A G5? How about a server sized Silverstone TJ05?
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/14/07 06:56 AM
If the speakers had a built in amp they would be just like every other computer speaker on the market.... sortof....

I really, Really like the external amp idea on these. I cant wait to see it. Its like a micro little stereo

One thing that would be quite nice on the amp though is a headphone output since it could double as a headphone amplifier and sometimes its nice to use headphones instead of speakers.
Posted By: NOLAGT Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/14/07 01:44 PM
Quote:

Which tower? A Dell? An HP? A G4? A G5? How about a server sized Silverstone TJ05?

Heh shows you what I know about CPU towers lol. I thought they were all about the same size.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/14/07 03:55 PM
I agree with Brandon. There are at least a few good reasons why separating the amp from the speakers makes a lot of sense to me.

1. This is obviously a point of personal preference, but I continue to believe very strongly that the "right tool for the job" of setting listening volume is a big, analog knob. Personally, I dislike having to access the streaming application and do it there. I know that you CAN put such a knob on the speaker (and it appears Axiom has chosen to do both).

2. If you have the knob on the speaker, it either has to be on the front (functional but UNSIGHTLY) or on the back (pretty limited use, to me). To reiterate what Brandon said, having a separate amp module also differentiates the speakers from other competing models, both in terms of functionality and appearance, but also (I believe) in perceived quality.

3. Having the volume control on the separate box enables not only more flexible speaker placement but also affords the opportunity to interact with - to touch - the Quality inherent in the product.

4. Perhaps most importantly, separating out the components affords Axiom with a product diversification platform to realize some of the suggestions already made (different crossover methodology, additional inputs, stand-alone small amp, headphone outputs, etc.). The initial offering isn't "the end".

So, I'm very much in favor of adding the outboard amp and reaping the benefits of its ongoing evolution.
Posted By: NOLAGT Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/15/07 05:18 PM
Would this amp allow for conection to one of axioms subwoofers curently in production?
Posted By: Daphoid Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/17/07 01:14 AM
I'd just like to know what inputs are on this amp. I've got my computer in the same room as my theater gear at the moment so outputting audio to those speakers is no problem.

However I'm moving in a few months and my computer will be seperated from it's speaker siblings. I've got a optical out that I can happily plug into these speakers, if they allow that configuration i'd jump for joy and purchase the set in a heartbeat

EDIT: Another good reason for a seperate amp would be placement. If you wanted to spread your speakers out a bit, or put them on shelves or something like that, the amp could remain on your desk with power switch, volume knobs, etc, and still be close enough for your computer's audio to plug into it. I like.

- D
Posted By: Ian Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/20/07 02:15 PM
I must say that is great to get all this input; thank-you everyone. I think we are going to end up with a number of versions of this amp box to accommodate the various possible uses. The size of each version will be the same and will fit neatly on top of a standard tower or the sub. We will start with the standard version below but will be able to quickly add the optional versions.

1. The standard version will be for use with a pair of the mini computer speakers and the optional, reasonable compact, computer sub. The power will be 55 watts per channel. This version will have the x-overs for the tweeter and woofer of the mini speakers in the amp box. The x-overs are just too big to fit into the mini speakers (they are hi-fi speakers in midget cabinets). There will be a 3.5 mm input for hook up to your computer, 2 x 3.5mm outputs for the mini speakers, and 1 more 3.5 mm output for the optional sub. We will either put an RCA output on the back for use with any of our other sub-woofers or have an adaptor that will allow the 3.5 mm sub out to be hooked to the high level input of our other subs. We are also colour coding all these 3.5 mm inputs and outputs so it is simple to hook-up. We are supplying all the colour coded cables with the system as well.

2. Then there will be the high power version of the one above with 120 watts per channel. This will be used for people who want party level performance from their computer system. It will allow you to use your computer as your music source and have a real hi-fi system for the room.

3. Then there is the 5.1 system that will have all the amps and x-overs inside to run a surround sound system. Since this system relies on the processor in the computer to give you the decoding and channel separation we will not have an optical or coaxial input on the amp. There will be multiple 3.5 mm inputs for all the channels and multiple 3.5 mm outputs for all the speakers.

4. Then we have versions of all of the above for use with our other speakers. These versions will not have the x-overs for the mini speakers inside but will have inputs and outputs for use as a normal amplifier.

At this point in time we had not considered a head phone jack but I am going to investigate that one further. Since we are also considering an optional little box that has a volume control and mute button on it we could put a head phone jack on this little box.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/20/07 02:32 PM
Woohoo! That's very cool, Ian. Thanks for listening to all the suggestions, and then actually implementing some of the ideas! I can feel myself already growing tired of my Klipsch computer speakers. . .
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/20/07 04:14 PM
Oooooooohhhhhhh... I'll stop making guesses about this thing. Mine are all wrong (oh, gee, darn...)
Posted By: James_T Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/20/07 06:00 PM
Wow. This is going to great! I've been putting off upgrading my computer speakers for a long time. I can't wait for these!
Posted By: NOLAGT Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/20/07 07:42 PM
Quote:

I can feel myself already growing tired of my Klipsch computer speakers. . .

LOL thats funny...I was thinking the exact same thing about my exact same speakers when I was reading that. I think the klipsch sub I have sucks!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/20/07 07:46 PM
I still use the first and only set of computer speakers I ever bought. It's a Yamaha sub+sat system that I bought back in 1997. Wow - a whole ten years old. They still sound just as good as they did then, which is to say better than your average computer speaker but still nowhere near Axiom standards.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/20/07 08:02 PM
I absolutely love the fact that you are not rushing this to market but are taking in market input.

Your segmentation appears to cover everyone. I am just not too sure that you need #1 & #2. I suppose it all depends on the price sensitivity.

That's a lot of flavours to carry. For the sake of you and your staff, I hope that you don't attempt to introduce these all at once .
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/21/07 01:57 PM
Quote:

I absolutely love the fact that you are not rushing this to market but are taking in market input.

Your segmentation appears to cover everyone. I am just not too sure that you need #1 & #2. I suppose it all depends on the price sensitivity.

That's a lot of flavours to carry. For the sake of you and your staff, I hope that you don't attempt to introduce these all at once .

I agree, I would think that #1 is all that you need for a computer system...

In addition, Since axiom is going to be releasing a 2 channel digital amp with huge watts per channel. I would recommend only releasing a 55 watts per channel amp for the other Axiom speakers as well.

Not a 120 watts. IMHO
Posted By: dllewel Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/21/07 06:22 PM
I myself am very interested in a small form factor 2-channel amp for use with M3s or M22s on their own.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/21/07 08:29 PM
Quote:

I myself am very interested in a small form factor 2-channel amp for use with M3s or M22s on their own.

May I say that am am also VERY interested in a small amp to drive some M22s...the BPA-1 from emotiva is $159...I would love Axiom to undercut their price.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/22/07 03:15 AM
Quote:

Yep, that's the one I want for my M3's as well. 120w/ch sounds PERFECT, but I cringe at having to use adapters for 3.5mm plugs. Make'em RCA's!!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/22/07 04:35 PM
Different amps, I imagine. The standalone amp would probably have binding posts.

I would see the miniplugs as being necessary due to the crossovers being in the amp, rather than the speakers. You've got to have, what, at least 3 separate lines that way?
Posted By: Ian Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/22/07 06:08 PM
We could have RCA inputs and binding post outputs on the 2 channel stand alone model no problem but on the 5 channel one it becomes a real estate issue. We have a back panel that is only about 4.75 inches square. We would need to fit on there 5 sets of speaker outs, an IEC connector, voltage switch, 5 RCA inputs, and the fuse holder.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/22/07 06:14 PM
With the binding post outputs for the computer speakers, wouldn't you have to essentially biwire, since they're kind of bi-amped (in that the crossover is in the amp, not the speaker?)
Posted By: Ian Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/22/07 07:10 PM
The computer system version of the amp will have stereo 3.5 mm jacks for the speakers and we will supply the cables to go from the amp to the speakers.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/23/07 03:22 PM
Quote:

I think the klipsch sub I have sucks!

There are two settings--boomy and not-so-boomy.

At least I can adjust the boominess from the speaker. Ease of use for crappy sound!
Posted By: nikolair Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/27/07 10:03 PM
I'd like to add a different use case for such amplifier - home theater PCs, such as those running Windows XP/Vista Media Center Edition.

Such setups usually run in the living room, with full-size 5.1/7.1 speakers, so it's different from what you originally envisioned. The missing part for an audiophile is the amplifier optimized for PC as the only source (no need for signal switching). Today the only offering is the line from Simplifi Digital http://www.simplifidigital.com/shopsimplifi/amplifiers-usb-input-amplifiers-c-2_6.html , which is what I have, connected to Axiom M3s front, VP100 center, QS4 in the back and EP175.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/27/07 10:20 PM
Quote:

I'd like to add a different use case...

It appears that yet another software developer/architect/engineer has joined the board . Welcome.

That's a cool product. What do you mean by "no need for signal switching"?
Posted By: Daphoid Re: Computer Speaker Update - 06/28/07 04:51 PM
I also like the internal amp idea. perhaps that would alleviate the need for a wall wart style power plug and just have a normal three pronged power cable?

Also I agree that if the amps were in the speakers, they'd be just like every other set of computer speakers, and that's boring.

Also I think these are a little more then just your average "computer speakers", at least I'm hoping they are anyways . I plug my computer into my Axiom's via digital coax (to the denon 3805) for a reason, the sound is worlds better then any old computer speaker.

Axiom releasing computer speakers just screams the need for something a little different. Also as I said, if the amp has power / headphone jack on the front, or perhaps a volume knob, you can place that on your desk near your monitor, and put the speakers wherever you like. On stands, on the hutch above your monitor, etc.

- D
Posted By: nikolair Re: Computer Speaker Update - 07/05/07 05:16 PM
> What do you mean by "no need for signal switching"?

If one has multiple sources of video/audio, let's use my actual example of I used to have: DVD changer, TiVo and DiVX player, then one needs a receiver that accepts all these connections and can switch the video/audio signal depending on which source is being used. Now HTPC replaces all these sources, because it can perform all of their functions. Therefore only amplifier is necessary, the receiver switching circuitry is unnecessary.
Posted By: Daphoid Re: Computer Speaker Update - 07/11/07 07:37 AM
I meant to say external amplifier up there. Having a seperate box (i.e. two speakers + box) is a good idea from a "lets do things a little different" and a usability aspect I think. Placing the box centreally on your desk (say near your monitor like you would a little USB hub) and the speakers wherever you like, would give you controls right there (volume, headphone jack, on/off switch), etc.

- D
Posted By: Pellucid Re: Computer Speaker Update - 07/16/07 01:49 PM

I'm beginning to shop for pc speakers again, so I had to chime in. I'm on a pc enough, I want the best sound that I can get.

The klipsch are too boomy and the other options aren't much better. I tried plugging the port but getting rid of boom is almost impossible. Accurate, tight base in the new Axiom speakers would do it for me.

Buying speakers for a pc is not a situation where you buy what you want,... instead it's a contest of what type of poor sound you can live with. I'm waiting to see what you release before I buy again. It'll be worth my wait. This thread has me all excited.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 08/03/07 05:22 PM
So, how's this going?

Like you don't have enough stuff to do.
Posted By: JimLogan Re: Computer Speaker Update - 08/06/07 01:41 PM
I was at Axiom last week and Debbie was kind enough to allow me to audition the prototypes.

Hands down the best sounding computer speakers I've ever heard. You will not be disappointed.
Posted By: haylo75 Re: Computer Speaker Update - 08/07/07 11:39 PM
I'm really interested in these as I do a lot of listening while at my PC. I've had the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1's for about 7 years now and they seem to be one of the lesser evils in the PC speaker realm, but as people have said, overall the choices when it comes to sound quality are pretty pathetic.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Computer Speaker Update - 08/07/07 11:42 PM
Still in the protytype stage? We should have held the naming contest later on so that the wait wouldnt be so bad!

Did the ones you hear include the subwoofer or was it just the two "satellites"... err audiobytes.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Computer Speaker Update - 08/08/07 12:11 AM
If you're sick of waiting, you could just have Amie send them to me. Then I'll have to wait. I'm a patient man.
Posted By: JimLogan Re: Computer Speaker Update - 08/08/07 12:27 AM
Quote:

Did the ones you hear include the subwoofer or was it just the two "satellites"... err audiobytes.

both. got the impression they were just tweaking them.

the only thing I saw/heard that I didn't like was the mini jack connection to the sats (didn't get a good look at the sub so I can't comment on it). Personally I'd pay the extra to have "real" binding posts. That being said they sounded a hell of alot better than the Sony comp speakers I have (and paid close to $400 for many moons ago)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 08/08/07 12:32 AM
Ian addressed the minijack issue--it's because the sats aren't quite conventional speakers. Their crossovers (between the mids/tweeters) are in the amp portion, so you can't just have binding posts on them.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Computer Speaker Update - 08/08/07 12:34 AM
Quote:

If you're sick of waiting, you could just have Amie send them to me. Then I'll have to wait. I'm a patient man.

I need to have something to look forward to otherwise I will probbably go out and buy something. New audio gear is like drugs, You get that high everytime you get something new. And well, You know what usually happens from there. you move on to bigger and better things. That usually cost more.
Posted By: da2357 Re: Computer Speaker Update - 08/08/07 11:30 AM
Quote:

...got the impression they were just tweaking them.

Jim... Did you get any impression about when they would be available for purchase? I've been using (blushing with embarrassment) an old set of Cambridge Soundworks 'Microworks' that (a) I've grown disenchanted with (my ear for music subleties has improved) and (b) the sub has a bad left channel. I've been suffering with them for several months knowing that Axiom was developing their own set of computer speakers--so back to the big question, did you get any impression about when they would be available for purchase?
Posted By: JimLogan Re: Computer Speaker Update - 08/08/07 01:08 PM
Quote:

Ian addressed the minijack issue--it's because the sats aren't quite conventional speakers. Their crossovers (between the mids/tweeters) are in the amp portion, so you can't just have binding posts on them.

Just my impressions is all. Hopefully when they release the speakers there will be something more substantial than what I saw.

Bottom line...they sounded (and looked) awesome.

As far as when, I'm afraid I can't help you out because I plain don't remember what Debbie told me. There were far too many goodies in the lab to look at and listen to. Information overload was the order of the day.
Posted By: Amie Re: Computer Speaker Update - 08/08/07 05:22 PM
The release date for these is now looking like Mid-November. I'm sorry to everyone who has been impatiently waiting! But they're coming along very well!
Posted By: Mojo Re: Computer Speaker Update - 08/08/07 10:15 PM
You can't rush excellence. Please take your time and do a good job .
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Computer Speaker Update - 08/17/07 07:05 PM
If you'll be offering the amp and speakers separate from the sub, what kind of frequency response can be expected from the little guys if you don't opt for the sub? Would it really be worth it?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Computer Speaker Update - 08/17/07 08:47 PM
Ian mentioned to me that they will also be releasing the 120 watts/channel bookshelf amp in November too, that is for sure on my shopping list and I WILL be pre-ordering that amp for my studio...mabey I should get one for upstairs too...hmmmm
Posted By: Zarak Re: Computer Speaker Update - 08/18/07 12:18 AM
I may have missed it, but have any prices been mentioned yet?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Computer Speaker Update - 08/18/07 12:25 AM
Estimates...$300-350 for the speakers and amp, plus $190 or so for the sub.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Computer Speaker Update - 09/11/07 04:19 AM
Quote:

If you'll be offering the amp and speakers separate from the sub, what kind of frequency response can be expected from the little guys if you don't opt for the sub? Would it really be worth it?

Anybody know?

My crappy little computer speakers just lost the left channel. I'm now in the market. I don't need a lot of depth though. I don't do any critical listening at my desk.

I'd also like to get some decent audio at my office. We've begun working with more and more audio at work, so a decent pair of speakers (plus the sub) might even be able to be paid for by the boss.
Posted By: Amie Re: Computer Speaker Update - 09/14/07 05:00 PM
Ask and ye shall receive! Here's a pdf of the on-axis sweep Ian did this morning for you.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 09/14/07 05:09 PM
Oooohhh... can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Computer Speaker Update - 09/15/07 02:09 AM
Was this with the subwoofer? Im guessing not since it stars to dip down around where I would think the subwoofer would be starting to take over. Thats quite impressive for computer speakers, Not that I have ever seen a freq response graph for computer speakers before, But I think its good!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 10/11/07 12:25 AM
Sooooo.... now that the Audioholics party has past, how's it going with these puppies? ;\)
Posted By: Amie Re: Computer Speaker Update - 10/11/07 04:36 PM
Did I tell you we exhibited the prototypes at the Audioholics show? Almost all of the visitors stopped to look at them, and over half of the people had to pick them up! They're so shiny!

Anyway, working on tweaks to the optional subwoofer this week.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 10/11/07 04:45 PM
Got any new pics?

Mmm... shiny... they won't be after long in my house, though. ;\)
Posted By: Amie Re: Computer Speaker Update - 10/11/07 05:19 PM
I tried to get a pic but because of where I was standing the speakers looked huge. I figured we'd wait for a goodie - something that showed the color more truly than my point-and-shoot and that gave a good sense of size.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Computer Speaker Update - 10/30/07 04:56 PM
I know I am pushing my luck...it is almost november, and I am eagerly waiting to purchase that bookshelf amp!!! Any updates on that project?

Thanks!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 10/30/07 05:01 PM
Hey, computer speakers first! ;\)
Posted By: barilkobart Re: Computer Speaker Update - 12/03/07 06:00 PM
Couple of questions on the AudioByte speakers:
1. How are the grills held on?
2. Is the EPZero sub passive? (driven by the external amp)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Update - 12/03/07 06:02 PM
1. Magnetic
2. Yes.
Posted By: sota2000 Re: Computer Speaker Update - 12/05/07 07:48 PM

Any news on a 5.1 computer speaker system?

I need a great 5.1 set up for PC gaming.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Computer Speaker Update - 12/06/07 12:55 AM
You could do what I did...I scoured the world for Axiom's old, since discontinued, MZero's, VPZero, and QS2's. Bought an inexpensive receiver, and was graciously given a subwoofer (thanks!). Full 5.1 Axiom gaming baby! \:\)
Posted By: JAMinKC Re: Computer Speaker Update - 12/08/07 06:03 PM
Have the Audibytes started arriving yet? Ordered some last Sunday and am anxiously awaiting.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Computer Speaker Update - 12/08/07 06:50 PM
Not yet. I think they are starting this week. I am anxious too. \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards