Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Amie Computer Speaker Color Question - 06/01/07 02:11 PM
Hi everyone;

Just interested in your feedback - we were originally planning the Burled Walnut Real Wood speakers as the only computer speakers, but then decided to add a vinyl option that will be less expensive. We were leaning toward brushed silver but I'd like to get your feedback - what color would you want if you were to buy the vinyl computer speakers? Sky's the limit although we wouldn't do a high-gloss vinyl as a standard finish since we're trying to keep the price point low.

Thanks for your input!
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Computer Speaker Color Question - 06/01/07 02:15 PM
Brushed silver is nice. Right now that is the "hot" color in anything techy. Classic black would be a good choice too.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Computer Speaker Color Question - 06/01/07 02:18 PM
Basic black oak would blend into any system easily.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Computer Speaker Color Question - 06/01/07 02:27 PM
Axiom's Charcoal Smoke, or Ebony would be the best choice IMHO.
Posted By: DanielBMe Re: Computer Speaker Color Question - 06/01/07 03:13 PM
You could also go with white to sell to them podheads...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Color Question - 06/01/07 03:43 PM
I'm going with Hutz's suggestions. I hate black oak, and silver's pretty much everywhere these days. Same with white. A nice charcoal would be fairly classy.

Although you could go crazy, and make them dark blue or something.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Computer Speaker Color Question - 06/01/07 04:19 PM
Piano Black would be SWEET!

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Color Question - 06/01/07 04:19 PM
They said no gloss. I'm starting to like the dark blue idea, though. Gloss would be better...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Computer Speaker Color Question - 06/01/07 04:37 PM
I think something that resembles a "powdercoat" charcoal would be nice....
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Computer Speaker Color Question - 06/01/07 04:52 PM
Well, I think it may also depend somewhat on how this production line integrates with the rest of the product offerings. The news that the "package" will be an outboard amp and (in effect) a pair of MZeros rather than an integrated module gives me pause.

I guess I'd want to ask whether there is any intent to make either the amp or the MZeros available independent of each other.

If Axiom WANTS to sell pairs of MZeros independently, I'd also ask whether those would be available in other finishes. There might be people who - due to cost and/or form-factor - would like a pair of MZeros but already have amplification available (Zone2, Sonos systems, bedroom systems, rear channels of 7.1, etc.). If you make the MZero available ONLY in Silver in ALL cases, that may limit the audience for those other applications somewhat.

Again, I obviously would not know how Axiom plans to market/price the product in the context of available production capacity.

Options...

1. MZeros and Amp available only together. Black or Silver.
2. MZeros available independent of the amp, but no choices among the existing standard finishes. Black.
3. MZeros available either only with the amp OR independent of the amp, with choices of the existing standard finishes.

Obviously, I'd lobby for option 3, but recognize that it would probably cost "more" in production.
Posted By: vassillios Re: Computer Speaker Color Question - 06/01/07 05:49 PM
black.

or...

clear plexiglass would be cool, but I guess that would throw off the engineering
Posted By: Mojo Re: Computer Speaker Color Question - 06/01/07 06:05 PM
I'm with Tom on this one.

When I first heard about the computer speaker offering, I wondered why they would be marketed as "computer speakers". Why wouldn't the speakers, sub and amp simply be a "light" version in the existing lines? Axiom could always package them into "systems" to make it easier for consumers to associate with various applications (with perhaps an associated discount). The only issue I see is whether or not this light offering would cannibalize other lines. But even this should never discourage a manufacturer if this is what customers in a commodity market want.

I for one am considering the speakers and the amp mated to my old Sony sub for the living room area and the speakers, sub and amp for my home computer area.

So given the fact that there are numerous applications, silver may not be a suitable color for all. If Axiom plans on pursuing the marketing of individual components to suit various applications, then it should offer all the color schemes available in the other lines. And if Axiom does decide to pursue this strategy, what are the features that it should offer on the "light" amplifier?

Sorry Amie if I am opening up a can of worms for you . I'd be willing to bet there was much heated debate on this very topic amongst your product planners.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Speaker Color Question - 06/01/07 06:07 PM
Hey! Stop delaying the speakers, (forum) guys!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Computer Speaker Color Question - 06/01/07 07:20 PM
I have to admit, if there's a way that this could be used as a little two-channel bedroom or office system, that would be sweet!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Computer Speaker Color Question - 06/01/07 08:01 PM
really long cables
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Computer Speaker Color Question - 06/04/07 01:53 PM
Quote:

Piano Black would be SWEET!

+1 to that. Nice and glossy piano black would be awesome. I actually have an old pair of Energy Take5's sitting on my desk awaiting 'archival' to the closet-of-unused-equipment, and can't help but notice how great those little piano black speakers would look as PC speakers.

Perhaps I'm odd, but for computer speakers, they really ought to be black, white, or maybe silver. Black goes with most PC', white would look snazzy next to a Mac, and silver/grey goes with just about anything. Any sort of 'woodsy' trim would look out of place, IMHO.
Posted By: James_T Re: Computer Speaker Color Question - 06/04/07 06:12 PM
I'm going to add my 2 cents in with the charcoal crowd.
© Axiom Message Boards