Axiom Home Page
Posted By: axiom Forum Upgrades - 10/05/07 02:21 PM
Hello All;

You may notice a different look to the message boards this morning! The forum has been upgraded to the latest UBB.Threads 7.2.2. It has some new features, an improved look and feel as well as a new French section.

These upgrades were completed in anticipation of the PHPFox Community features which will be added this fall. This also ties into the design contest we are holding to bring in some new design ideas for our new integrated Axiom Community.

There are a few parts of the upgrade that we will be re-introducing next week, such as the search function and additional style sheets.

If you notice any bugs or issues with the new forum upgrades, please feel free to post it here and we'll try to rectify it as soon as possible.

Thanks - and enjoy!

James Savard
Axiom Audio
Posted By: Ajax Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/05/07 02:24 PM
James, a number of posts about the new look have been made to the thread in the Water Cooler section. If you've not already done so, you might want to take a look at them, or perhaps move them to this thread (if that's possible).
Posted By: JonHan Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/05/07 02:36 PM
James,

The old format showed unread topics in bold.
Now I have a hard time knowing what I have
not read.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/06/07 03:12 AM
James, restore the 300 limit on PMs which I've been relying upon in managing my messages.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/09/07 02:15 PM
 Originally Posted By: JonHan
James,

The old format showed unread topics in bold.
Now I have a hard time knowing what I have
not read.

new messages have a yellow folder next to them, indicating a new post has been made since your last visit.
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/09/07 03:04 PM
Where can a perform a search on the message board?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/09/07 03:05 PM
It will be a couple of weeks apparently before the search features are enabled.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/09/07 03:08 PM
I see the yellow folder for private messages but not for board messages. I can't tell what I've read either.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/09/07 09:19 PM
I'm still having issues with new messages. Sometimes the red doesn't show up. Sometimes I see red on the first two forums, look at the first, go back to the index, and the red leaves on the second. And sometimes I open one with red but the new messages aren't denoted in the forum.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/09/07 09:26 PM
I access these boards by selecting Active Posts: Past 24 hours. In this view, I can't tell which posts have been read. How do you guys access the boards?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/09/07 09:48 PM
I view all forums, click on the ones with the red numbers next to them (indicating the number of new posts contained therein), and then click on the threads with unread items.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/09/07 09:56 PM
Me too.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/09/07 09:56 PM
Thanks. I'll try that.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/09/07 10:08 PM
On the main page, I usually start at the top and make my way down, but sometimes I start with the forum containing the least new threads and work my way to the one with the most new threads.

Once inside a forum, I click on the oldest new thread and then navigate to newer new threads by clicking the "Next Topic" link at the bottom of each. When I run out of threads in that forum, I either go back to the index and select another forum or if I remember another forum that has new threads I'll select it directly from the "Hop to" menu.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/09/07 10:10 PM
Hmmm. Yes, Peter. And how does that make you feel?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/09/07 10:18 PM
I never even noticed the "Next Topic" and "Hop To" links because I am too busy helping out board members . Thanks for that.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/10/07 02:35 AM
If I didn't switch it up once in a while, it would make me feel like I have OCD. /goes to wash hands 7 times.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/10/07 02:31 PM
How do you access your private messages? The only time I found them was when there was a blinking envelope at the top...

EDIT: nevermind I figured it out!
Posted By: Mojo Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/11/07 10:30 PM
Nice touch with the speaker drivers.
Posted By: Amie Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/12/07 12:28 AM
We thought we'd take a vote - give everyone a day or so to see them and then decide if they like the pulsing woofers to indicate new posts or not. Glad you like them Mojo!
Posted By: Mojo Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/12/07 01:02 AM
Suggestion: make them pulse when a forum is unread.
Posted By: jbsengineer Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/12/07 01:05 AM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo
Suggestion: make them pulse when a forum is unread.

I second that, ;\)
Posted By: Mojo Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/12/07 01:16 AM
And if we want to get real fancy, make the pulse frequency a direct function of the number of unread posts. The problem is, web programmers just don't understand physics :D.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/12/07 01:16 AM
Dang. My smilies still aren't working even though I've tossed my cookies.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/12/07 01:17 AM
Was it something you ate? I hope you cleaned up after yourself. \:D
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/12/07 01:23 AM
Yeah, if they're pulsing when the forum's all read (which they are), it's kind of annoying. Pulsing only when there are unread posts would be cool, though.
Posted By: a401classic Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/12/07 01:54 AM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo
Nice touch with the speaker drivers.

Ditto. And ditto again on the unread = pulse.

Scott
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/12/07 02:59 AM
Interesting... if you observe the drivers, it appears that the animated gif for the unread forums and the animated gif for the read forums are on different timings. So there is a difference--it's just hard to spot.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/12/07 03:16 AM
I don't notice a difference at all.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/12/07 03:21 AM
The file names are indeed different (newposts.gif and nonewposts.gif). Now all that needs to happen is removing the throb from the nonewposts.gif file and everyone goes home happy. ;\)
Posted By: Mojo Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/12/07 03:26 AM
We'd be happier if they have a pulse resolution of 1024 bits :-).
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/12/07 01:22 PM
Are those 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 woofers that are now appearing on the left of forum names? Hard to tell just by listening to the posts! \:\)
Posted By: Mojo Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/12/07 01:29 PM
They're about 5/16" :-).
Posted By: Zarak Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/12/07 10:15 PM
So I already took advantage of the clear cookie tool Amie posted, but I am still having issues. Here is what happens.

I see unread messages in the home theater and stereo thread. I go into the home theater thread, look at those, go back to the index, and the stereo thread no long shows unread posts. These are the only threads I've seen this consistently with. I think if I read stereo first it is ok, but I have to test that again.

Anyway, is something tied together with these two? Anyone else seeing this?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/13/07 12:26 AM
I'm seeing this over all forums. I just don't trust the forum view. I look at posts over the last 24 hours and try to keep track of what I've read and what I haven't. It's quite frustrating actually.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/13/07 12:48 AM
I just try to remember what I have read and what I haven't. I do sometimes read a post twice but the second time is only for a very short while, as it usually jogs the memory, no big deal. I guess it's kind of like all the bells and whistles on the newest cell phones that I never use.
Posted By: jbsengineer Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/16/07 08:44 PM
Nice job on adjusting so it goes directly to the Forums when you click forums! I hated having to click twice, :). Thanks!
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/20/07 05:44 PM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
James, restore the 300 limit on PMs which I've been relying upon in managing my messages.

Dammit.
This inbox is still overflowing.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Forum Upgrades - 10/22/07 07:05 AM
Chess, Amie said in a different thread a few days ago that it was back to 300(mine is), so if you mean that you're under 300 and still no go, something does not compute.
© Axiom Message Boards