Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ian Refurb Store - 01/17/14 06:17 PM
Today we have added a new feature to our Deals menu called “Refurb Store”. This is where we will be selling the products that have come in from trade-ups. When a traded in product arrives back we put it through all the standard acoustical tests again and do a visual inspection and grading. We then take a picture of it and put it in the Refurb Store at a great price. Items in the Refurb Store include the shipping in the price and come with a 2 year warranty. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this new addition.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Refurb Store - 01/17/14 06:36 PM
Wonderful!
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Refurb Store - 01/17/14 06:44 PM
Good stuff. More temptation, ha!

TAM
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Refurb Store - 01/17/14 06:45 PM
I was going to give a one word reply of "awesome!" I wanted to say more, but that really says it all. How could anyone not think this is great? People who don't want to spend as much on a speaker can now get one, with a warranty! People who want to upgrade can easily get a trade-in value without having to find a seller.

Awesome!
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Refurb Store - 01/17/14 07:03 PM
Assuming you had product to add how often will it be updated?
Ex: 6 pm EST daily
Posted By: CV Re: Refurb Store - 01/17/14 07:28 PM
This is going to be very good for me.
Posted By: Ian Re: Refurb Store - 01/17/14 07:50 PM
We will add products as they finish getting tested, graded, and photographed. My guess is that Steve will do it early each morning with the information from the day before. As they sell they will get marked as sold until Steve arrives each day and removes them or if he is here at the time of the sale he would just remove them right away.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Refurb Store - 01/17/14 09:06 PM
Thanks for confirming.
Posted By: FireGuy Re: Refurb Store - 01/18/14 01:27 AM
Yes indeed, an intelligent business decision. Providing more buying options for customers a real plus... for both buyer and seller. M80V2 in Rosewood for less than 10 C notes...most tempting.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Refurb Store - 01/18/14 02:49 AM
Very good, Ian; I've had positive personal experiences with factory refurbished audio equipment, and have recommended such items to others as well. This is a logical outlet for these speakers and should make more Axioms an option for those with tight budgets.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Refurb Store - 01/18/14 12:31 PM
Holy Moly. High Gloss rosewood. What a price.
Posted By: Philippe Re: Refurb Store - 01/18/14 03:02 PM
Great price, good idea. Bravo Axiom for this amazing offer !!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Refurb Store - 01/18/14 03:29 PM
Is that real wood rosewood, or is that a vinyl version?
Posted By: JBG Re: Refurb Store - 01/18/14 03:42 PM
Ian what a good Idea, all those trade-ups you really needed to come up with a Idea to get these out the door, that being said my step daughter has just bought her 1st house by herself at 25 years old (really proud of her) and I will be putting my old audio equipment to use again, like m3's - vp150 - denon 4802 - as soon my ksw-15 sub (hoping that axiom has a new ep500 coming out soon) she will need some towers perhaps M80,s v2's or v3... this is so really a timely idea!

Q; will it be possible to change the x-over in any of these older speakers?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Refurb Store - 01/18/14 06:40 PM
Changing the crossover without changing the drivers is counterproductive. Changing the drivers and the crossover will probably be cost-prohibitive.
Posted By: Ian Re: Refurb Store - 01/18/14 07:24 PM
Hi Ken,

Those are real wood High Gloss rosewood. We should stipulate that as there was a vinyl version for a short time.
Posted By: Ian Re: Refurb Store - 01/18/14 07:28 PM
It is probably not a worthwhile exercise to try to turn a v1 or v2 into the current version. In most cases both the crossover and some or all of the drivers would need to replaced. Then it becomes more expedient to just buy the latest version new.
Posted By: JBG Re: Refurb Store - 01/18/14 08:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Ian
It is probably not a worthwhile exercise to try to turn a v1 or v2 into the current version. In most cases both the crossover and some or all of the drivers would need to replaced. Then it becomes more expedient to just buy the latest version new.

Q; are they fully cleaned (in & out) so no extra passengers come with along the speakers? smile
Posted By: Ian Re: Refurb Store - 01/18/14 10:15 PM
We would not necessarily take the drivers out if everything was working perfectly but we do clean them and touch them up so they look as nice as possible. Some of them are in mint condition, a real testament to the previous owner; we rate those as excellent condition.
Posted By: JBG Re: Refurb Store - 01/19/14 01:24 AM
We would not necessarily take the drivers out if everything was working perfectly but we do clean them and touch them up so they look as nice as possible. Some of them are in mint condition, a real testament to the previous owner; we rate those as excellent condition.

just like my M80ti's first versions, they were like the first day they were bought! the only thing any of my speakers ever had (Vp150 and Qs8's) was the screwed bracket thing axiom had at the time so they have screw holes on the back
Posted By: jmone Re: Refurb Store - 01/20/14 12:17 AM
Couldn't help myself..... just added the M80V3 in Oak to my collection. With all the bits and pieces from the Auction site I may need to set up as a retailer in Oz!

The only problem with Axiom is that the Wife always notices when the Boxes arrive smile
Posted By: CBGBSteve Re: Refurb Store - 01/24/14 03:03 AM
I think this is a great idea. Just picked up a Black Oak VP100v2 from the Refurb Store. I've been looking to upgrade the surround in our NC cabin (just have a pair of Bose 101 indoor/outdoor speakers I've had since the 80's hooked up to an Onkyo surround receiver I got off my father)and this will be a great way to do it.

Primary system Yamaha RX-V471, M22ti, VP100, QS4, EP175
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Refurb Store - 01/24/14 04:40 AM
Looking at the 'Sold' signs there, it seems to be a smashing success!!!

TAM
Posted By: jmone Re: Refurb Store - 01/24/14 11:06 AM
Yup - almost bought the VP180 centre but it does not fit! So where are all the Axiom Amps frown ?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Refurb Store - 01/24/14 02:53 PM
I have two questions regarding the refurb store.

1. Is it allowed to use a trade-in credit toward the purchase of a refurbed speaker?

2. Can a refurbed speaker be traded back in at a later time for credit toward an upgrade?
Posted By: Ian Re: Refurb Store - 01/24/14 10:58 PM
These are good questions. For the first one it would be no it isn’t. The trade-in program is only available for new products and does not include the factory outlet either. For the second one I may have to think about that. Right now it is only the original purchaser that can trade-in but would the Refurb buyer be a new original purchaser?
Posted By: GregD Re: Refurb Store - 02/03/14 09:00 AM
Are the prices in Canadian dollars or US?
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Refurb Store - 02/03/14 05:13 PM
I just bought a VP160 there at $319 CAN as advertised on the listing.

Due to arrive tomorrow....

TAM
Posted By: GregD Re: Refurb Store - 02/04/14 12:22 AM
Originally Posted By: exlabdriver
I just bought a VP160 there at $319 CAN as advertised on the listing.

Due to arrive tomorrow....

TAM

Thanks for the info
Posted By: msjpearson Re: Refurb Store - 02/18/14 03:53 PM
Any news regarding a regular update drop time or date of the week? I'm looking to score a great deal or two.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Refurb Store - 02/18/14 04:01 PM
Those used EP500's are looking mighty tempting.
I'd really like the 400's, about 4 of them.
Posted By: GregD Re: Refurb Store - 02/27/14 10:20 PM
Wow I need to be quicker! Missed the rosewood m80's version 3.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Refurb Store - 03/13/14 10:44 PM
seems to be a collection of unwanted items in the refurb store now that have been around for a while....like the Island of Misfit Toys! LOL
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Refurb Store - 03/14/14 02:11 AM
I'm waiting for a matching VP100 (T100).
Posted By: Philippe Re: Refurb Store - 03/24/14 08:33 PM
So I notice the refurb store seems to be a very high success. I guess Axiom has clean all thier products :P
Posted By: Ian Re: Refurb Store - 03/24/14 10:40 PM
It really has been popular. Steve has been working on automating the trade in process, which currently we have to do manually, so that customers can do the entire trade-up transaction online in one step. It should be ready in the first part of April. We are hoping this generates lots of trade-ins for the Refurb Store.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Refurb Store - 07/17/14 12:47 AM
Does Axiom track the number of sales to date from the trade up program and are you willing to provide the #?

One can only assume its been quite a hit, every time I think to look there is another incredible deal to be had.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Refurb Store - 07/17/14 03:08 AM
What possible good would it do the company to publicly disclose something like that?
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Refurb Store - 07/17/14 03:39 AM
Ditto. That is confidential corporate info I would think.

I am most pleased with my latest purchase (a pair of magnificent EP800s) from there...

TAM
Posted By: MMM Re: Refurb Store - 07/17/14 11:40 AM
I don't think it would be any hit to Axiom. Buy back an older piece of equipment for a smaller amount. Check it over and then re-sell it for a larger amount. Someone trades in, they are buying a new product that generates more production. They get a newer speaker, perhaps a few models up and get a discount on the new purchase without the hassle of trying to sell their old speakers.

People who are on the fence can buy a speaker at a lesser cost who probably before would not buy at all or from some other vendor. They get to buy with confidence that the referb speaker is in factory perfect condition and not buying somenone elses problems.

Every new customer they get means a broader product awareness and new advertising through word of mouth referrals.

Heck, it it wasn't for the b-store and referb, I wouldn't have any new speakers. They now have a very happy customer who is showing all his friends. win win win.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Refurb Store - 07/17/14 07:12 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
What possible good would it do the company to publicly disclose something like that?

More a general interest in volume, to me it looks as though things are rolling pretty good.

Your question reads as though I was asking for profit margins.

I'm OK with an outright "mind your own..." but I've had a fairly pleasant and open relationship with axiom and didn't think it would hurt to ask.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Refurb Store - 07/17/14 07:25 PM
WE know what CEO's make , bank profits , how many cars ford etc sells , not entirely out of line. We like to know if our favorite companies are doing ok.
Posted By: Ian Re: Refurb Store - 07/19/14 09:07 AM
The Refurb Store really does create a win, win, win. We wanted to make trading up easy and at the same time create a place for some great deals. This is all working really well. I am not sure what all the numbers are to date for the quantity of trade-ups and resale through the Refurb Store. My thinking was to let it run for a while and then look at it after six to twelve months to see how it is all averaging out.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Refurb Store - 07/19/14 05:03 PM
The Refurb Store really does create a win, win, win. We wanted to make trading up easy and at the same time create a place for some great deals. This is all working really well. I am not sure what all the numbers are to date for the quantity of trade-ups and resale through the Refurb Store. My thinking was to let it run for a while and then look at it after six to twelve months to see how it is all averaging out.

I may be wrong, but I don't know of another company in CE especially, regardless of sales methods(on-line or retail)that has anywhere near this variety of purchase options. Keep up the good work, Ian.
© Axiom Message Boards