Axiom Home Page
Yup, just a rant, the Sony SXRD is an amazing TV. Took a while to get HDTV, but I don't watch anything else. Its takes great effort to watch "regular" shows. DVDs look ok, I'm going to go out an buy an hddvd/blueray as soon as enough movies are..

and don't get me started on movies theaters....... last movie I saw Rent (great flick if you like musicals).....drove me nuts, PG13 movies at 8 PM Saturday nights are a BAAAADDD idea.. Between the singing and the talking... it drove me nuts.

Well back to my HDTV, I'm watching the wizards loose, but at least they look great...

I would have to agree that it is diffcult to watch regular TV after going HD, just not the same.
I agree, my Toshiba is amazing with HD material.
Viva la HDTV!
No more fuzzy TV for me either.

I've been really suprised at how many prime time shows are in HD. There is some really good programing on satellite HD as well.
One thing I've noticed about prime time TV in HD is, the soft filters on the cameras or post production or something leaves the finished product to be less detailed then HD is capable of. I say this because if you turn on a sports broadcast you really see how much better HD can look.
I'm the same way... I'm a huge Battlestar Galactica fan on the Sci-Fi channel, but I can't watch it on the Sci-Fi channel under standard resolutions.

I have waited for the episodes to come out on DVD to enjoy the better quality and the Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.

I'm wondering how much longer before HDTV really catches on?
I've found the Discovery channel in HD has about the best HD I've seen.
Discovery Channel does have some beautiful looking programs.
As for the filters on prime time TV, I've read that some actors intentionally ask for it because they don't look as good with all that extra detail.
I've noticed this also. Some of the programs like the Tonight Show, Lettermen, American Idol are sharp as a tack where as CSI, Ghost Whisper, Medium etc. are soft and look more like really good dvd. My theory is that the actors don't want to show all the blemishes and warts.
You guys are hitting the nail on the head. Check out this top ten list of celebities who look worst in HDTV.

Personally, every time I see Teri Hatcher I fight the urge to shout "By the Power of Grayskull!" Sadly, Skeletor always seems to escape to haunt me another day.
HiDef post production isn't necessarily where it should be either... and there is still transfer rate issues on storage media on non-linear suites. Yes, the good stuff is out there, no, not everyone has it.

The reason sports broadcasts look so good is they're live - signal from camera (to FramStor/TBC) (to upstream graphics) to switcher (to DSK) to the station to distribution.

Bren R.
Yep, I've read lighting and makeup on the set have had to be altered because of HDTV.
Before I got my own HDTV everywhere I'd go and see SDTV on one I thought it looked terrible. I'm pleasently surprised at how good SDTV actually looks on my system thou. I run everything thru my HTPC (MCE 2005). DVD, HDTV, SDTV, Music, etc etc. I'm totally sold on PUREVIDEO from Nvidia (6x00/7x00 cards + nvDVD decoder). It really is an awesome upconverter/postproccesor. I read it does a better job then most upconverting DVD players and virtually all TVs, and I believe it.
© Axiom Message Boards