Axiom Home Page
Posted By: bridgman Is it just me... - 06/09/06 02:37 AM
... or are central vac systems highly over-rated ?

I am saddened to report that the new house seems to get dirty just as fast as the old house -- maybe faster because the driveway and back porch are gravel and the dogs seem genetically optimized to carry as much as possible of that gravel into the house.

I finally broke down and vacuumed (on my 5th day here). Unless there is some trick I'm missing, it seems as if I have just replaced dragging a vacuum cleaner around the house (albeit with 100 feet of cord) to dragging a hose around the house with the added pleasure of stopping every 15-20 feet to move the hose to a new mouse hole.

I still think a vacuum cleaner backpack would be the best idea... well, second best after a household staff

Oh well. In all other respects the new house (and location) is great so I can't complain (EDIT - yes I can).

Planning to head up to Axiom on Saturday -- looking forward to that. I'm not sure where I'm meeting everyone, but from Amie's last PM I think I am going to need a boat...
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Is it just me... - 06/09/06 03:01 AM
Make sure to bring some of those little arm floaties along.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Is it just me... - 06/09/06 03:23 AM
So, you're saying your central vacuum system sucks?
Posted By: INANE Re: Is it just me... - 06/09/06 03:59 AM
LOL, never cease to amaze with the smarty comments.

Posted By: bridgman Re: Is it just me... - 06/09/06 04:09 AM
Why yes, I guess I am. It just...

... let's not go there, OK ?
Posted By: Amie Re: Is it just me... - 06/09/06 10:27 AM
I feel passionately that central vac is wildly overrated. "Just - ouf - stuffing - ouf - 35 feet of hose in this closet. Why are the baseboards on all the corners showing weird signs of wear?" I do think a massaging vacuum cleaner backpack has some serious legs in it though . . .

Boat, tube, waterskis - whatever you need.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Is it just me... - 06/09/06 11:24 AM
Yes! The masaging backback vac is the best one yet; especially if it were "cordless"!

I find the blasted cord to get in the way and be the biggest irritant of all! And being retired with four kids in the house, vacuuming has become one of my chores, and I vacuum A LOT!!

We tried letting our kids vacuum while growing up, we bought additional vacuums because of it.

We tried letting this batch of kids vacuum also. We're buying additional vacuums now too!

Maybe they just need glasses; can't differentiate between dust and shoes!

Maybe they just know an easy way to get out of vacuuming!

But let's just get rid of that darned CORD!!!
Rich.

Posted By: keend0 Re: Is it just me... - 06/09/06 12:33 PM
My central vac is garbage also. I ended up buying a Dyson and it kicks butt! Their product lives up to the advertising and the hype.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Is it just me... - 06/09/06 03:49 PM
I'd have to agree. My wife experienced a central vac system while growing up, and laments its performance whenever the topic is presented.

We also got a Dyson (after all the usual suspects, plus a Miele). It is a very satisfying product.

I think a non-optimally-performing vacuum system actually "blows".
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Is it just me... - 06/09/06 04:06 PM
Love my Dyson, mostly. My wife says it is a man's vaccuum cleaner. I usually reply, yeah, but look at all the fiddly bits!

I just wish the plastic didn't look so cheap on a $500 vaccuum...
Posted By: littleb Re: Is it just me... - 06/09/06 04:07 PM
The only vacuum allowed in my house is a Kenmore. This is not my decision, if you know what I mean.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Is it just me... - 06/09/06 07:56 PM
Never went the central vac route. Nope, just wouldn't do. Mama NEEDED a Kirby. HAD to have one. Not just that, but if there was an attachment available - needed to have it too.

Went to the Kirby store and the salesman said, "Let me giuve you a demonstration". Just that quickly, my wife said, "That's not necessary; just show me the top of the line." That was quickly followed by, "We'll take it and I want one of everything that goes with it". (BTW - if someone needs to be able to sweep out the the second stomach of a cow or steam clean & polish the inside of the crankcase of one of the drilling machines used to tunnel under the English Channel - we HAVE the attachment)

Once the Kirby and everything available were all stacked up in the showroom, we were presented with the bill. My wife was pretty good and said, if you take 20% off, you won't have to take everything back to the storeroom". He did, we bought it and left.

We had argued for a couple of days before going to buy it, but she won and I didn't get what I wanted. Very disappointing too. I am pretty sure my Rolls Royce would have been a bit less expensive, even with the solid gold bumpers.

Of course, this experience has paved a nice path to creating my Home Theater (not that I ever bring it up).

Yeah - so I'm not gonna talk about vacuums again!!!
© Axiom Message Boards