Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ken.C piano movers? - 06/25/06 01:09 AM
Anyone have any experience with piano movers? I have no idea how much they cost, and google isn't particularly helpful in that regard!

We're thinking about buying a used upright piano from somewhere in the area (don't know which one, don't know exactly where), but the price on the moving is a big huge question mark. Of course, there's always the question of how to get it into our apartment, but my wife is pretty sure it could be done--I'm terrible with spatial stuff, so...

Either that, or I'll just get a digital piano and be happy with that.
Posted By: bridgman Re: piano movers? - 06/25/06 01:18 AM
I'll know in a couple of days and will post back.

I need to move a 5'9 baby grand to the new house (not so hard) and up to the loft (hard... the loft was supposed to have a removeable section of railing but when I asked "how did you manage to hide the removeable section so well ?" the builder looked uncomfortable and finally admitted they had forgotten and it was too late to change without ripping out the entire railing and starting over.

I'm really looking for piano levitators but will start with movers and see how that works.
Posted By: bridgman Re: piano movers? - 06/25/06 01:18 AM
P.S. your avatar has gone AWOL...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: piano movers? - 06/25/06 01:19 AM
So your contractor is paying for the piano levitation, then?
Posted By: bridgman Re: piano movers? - 06/25/06 04:29 AM
Um... no, actually. But he will kick in a "scissor lift" if it helps with the levitating...
Posted By: JohnK Re: piano movers? - 06/25/06 05:39 AM
Ken, too bad Peter isn't around there. I'm sure that he and Adam would've been glad to carry it in.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: piano movers? - 06/25/06 05:42 AM
Also unfortunately, none of us have vehicles that a piano would fit in. I think I'll probably just go digital; never know where I'm going to end up. Then I'd have to unload a piano that had just been unloaded to me!
Posted By: snakeyes Re: piano movers? - 06/25/06 12:17 PM
My in-laws Paid $275 or so to move a babygrand accross the street. Though i think that was the same price it would have been if they had to move it across town too because its basiclly the same amount of labor.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: piano movers? - 06/25/06 02:59 PM
I'd help, I have a truck and trailer, but gas would kill me from here to CA.
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: piano movers? - 06/25/06 03:29 PM
I think we'd have to dismantle Ken's front porch/steps in order to get a piano in there. There's a very tight turn to get in the door, and I don't see a piano making it in unless we had a crane.

My vote is for digital.

Although one of these days I'd love to own one of these:

That's one thing I miss about college, playing on 9' Steinway concert grands on a regular basis.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: piano movers? - 06/25/06 04:25 PM
My folks have a baby grand piano that I played on for 10years growing up. I remember back in the 70's we had to take out the bottom 6 steps to hoist it down to the basement. I can't imagine trying to reverse the process, however, it would be worth it to keep it in the family if they ever move.
Posted By: littleb Re: piano movers? - 06/25/06 09:36 PM
The GF was given an old upright by a friend at work. We paid a piano mover around $100 to move it from a storage facility to a room in our house.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: piano movers? - 06/25/06 10:27 PM
I had a feeling it was something like that.

Having visited a piano store today, I am somewhat at a loss. Stunned by the prices (on the digitals!), as it were...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: piano movers? - 06/25/06 10:54 PM
Quote:

Stunned by the prices (on the digitals!), as it were...

Dude, analog and tubes are where it's at!

Hey, someone had to say it!
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: piano movers? - 06/26/06 02:55 AM
Well, in the case of pianos, analog is where it's at. Digital pianos just try to copy the sound and feel of analog.

Ain't nothin' like playin' on a (well maintained) Steinway concert grand.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: piano movers? - 06/26/06 03:43 AM
What's better than a rose on your piano?
Posted By: snakeyes Re: piano movers? - 06/27/06 01:18 AM
Quote:

The GF was given an old upright by a friend at work.

Wow you guys must have a pretty open relationship.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: piano movers? - 06/27/06 01:19 AM
LOL! I can't believe that one slipped by me.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: piano movers? - 06/27/06 01:24 AM
LOL!
Posted By: littleb Re: piano movers? - 06/27/06 08:05 AM
They don't call you 'ole snakeyes' for nuthin'. I would mention that this was a friendly agreement between two ladies, but I won't because this would just start a fireball of imagination. There, I didn't give anyone any ideas, did I?
© Axiom Message Boards