Axiom Home Page
Is anyone else noticing this ? You log in, and see there are a couple of unread posts. Click onto the forums and read the posts; close the browswer window, do something else for a while*

Come back an hour or two later. Log in -- oh look, a couple of unread posts. Click into the forums containing the unread posts, hey it's the same darned posts as last time.
Repeat.

Any ideas ? Don't ask "did I change anything on the system" because I upgraded to Vista, installed all new drivers, ran fine for a while, noticed the problem with unread posts, nuked Vista, installed XP, installed all new drivers, AV software, and am in the middle of letting Windows Update have its way with my system files, and still see the same problem with unread posts.

My first thought is that it probably is not a problem with my system, even though I sure do look guilty
Do you use multiple systems? That used to happen with mine. Now they just get logged out when I use a different one.
Yes, I use a couple of different systems. As far as I know, though, I ran fine with multiple systems -- I just had a different set of "read messages" for each system, so if I worked on one system for a while I had a whole whack of unread messages when I went to the other.

Then again, I have noticed that the behavior when I crossed systems has been changing in the last week or so. Hmmm.

Does logging out clear something on the bbs server ? I thought it just touched a cookie on the client PC... but then again that is very low quality information
Yes I do notice this quite often. I'm tired of it. It's like a game is being played on me and I foolishly keep falling for it.

I only use one system with firefox as my browser. I'm not tech savvy so I couldn't explain why or how the cause of this. Help!
I've noticed that if I click on "Main Index" versus using the "Back" IE button ,that normally clears up the posts that are new, even if I close IE and come back later.
I am starting to see the same pattern now John. Posts that I have read, come back the next time I fire up my computer and check for new posts. I also have cleared out my cached temp files, etc... Hmmm
Me, too. Never had the problem before.
This is starting to bug me, if I read the posts for the 4th and 5th time, and then click on "main index" they go away. As soon as I close my browser and go back to Axiom, the old ones come back as if I have not read them... This has to be a server issue as I've tried cleaning up my IE settings.
Oh geez, I was hoping this wasn't contagious. Sorry, guys
Yes John, I'd never had the problem until after your post.
Ok, it seems I've finally been able to get rid of the phantom posts that would not go away. After opening them again I then refreshed my browser using the "Refresh" toolbar button. Now when I close IE and reopen IE, they are no longer showing as new posts. Oh well, hope that works for others...
I just wanted to let you know that I'm using IE, and I haven't experienced this phenomenon. It is apparently a selective anomaly, and I didn't get selected. Interesting.
Sorry, Jack.

Darwin made his choice and it's us. You lose!

Ummmm, wait. I may have that backwards.
The first thing that came to my mind is COOKIES ! I wonder if you guys have different setting than those of us who use IE. Another thing I thought of is the size of your browser cache. I have mine set quite low (?) about 50 Mb, but I still have no problems with seeing the same unread posts. I still think it's something to do with cookies.

At least I don't think I have that problem.....
I use IE on all of my machines and have cleaned out the Cookies/Temp Files/Autocomplete, etc... My guess is that it is cacheing on the server somewhere. I thought it was fixed last night, but it is doing it again today. I've not had this problem in the years I've been a member.
This is happening on my work pc's as well. No matter if I refresh my browser and clear all of my normal IE settings, repeat posts keep coming back.

Any Axiom IT moderator's watching this thread. Is there a chance your proxy cache is part of the problem?
Sounds like it's only happening to IE users? I haven't had any problems with Firefox on any of my machines. Well, other than the logout/login thing which someone told me how to fix. And I ignored them.
Jim's back from vay-cay and has installed a fix this morning - how is it working out for you guys?
Looks like I'm able to log in clean (completely different problem...)
so far so good.
This last try there was your post Dave, and one in Home Theater and one in Technical. I opened your post and read it, then I clicked "Main Index" went into the Home Theater area and saw the newest post in there, but did not open it, just clicked "Main Index" again. Then I went into the Tech area and opened the latest post in that category, and then clicked "Main Index" again. Then I closed my IE browser. Went back to Axiom's website, and your post showed as a new one again, the others did not show up on the main page.

This is baffling..... Amie help help SOS SOS.
Well, when you intentionally try to confuse the poor thing, of course it's not going to remember things straight.
Okay, passed the info on to Jim. We'll see what he can find! Thanks Randy!
This morning I read the new posts in this thread, went into my IE settings and cleared out my temp files, history, and cookies information. Closed my browser, reopened my browser, then came back to Axioms forum. I had to relogin as expected since I cleared my cookies. Anyway, this thread showed I had the same number of new posts again after coming back to the website. fun fun fun
Works fine with Firefox. Maybe it's just you
I'm going with the just you. Works fine with all of my firefoxen.
It seem to be working correctly most the time for me, but occasionly I get some old posts showing as new. I always blamed it on moving between home and work computers.

I'm wondering if the posts read stored within the cookies per machine. So switching PCs or deleting your cookies would cause this by design? I don't know.
I agree Dave, that is the same pattern I am having. I move from my home PC, work laptop, and a 2nd work desktop. It appears it is cacheing information per IP address or something as the posts I'm looking at right now, I already read today at work.

This started with this latest version upgrade to the forums.
© Axiom Message Boards