Axiom Home Page
Posted By: LightninJoe Pink Floys "Pulse" DVD is finally here! - 07/10/06 12:40 AM
It will be released on Monday. Check it out.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Pink Floys "Pulse" DVD is finally here! - 07/10/06 01:51 AM
I also noticed another Floyd DVD titled "On the Rock Trail" :

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0...5Fencoding=UTF8

Does anyone know anything about it ?

EDIT -- all I could find was that (a) it seems to focus on Floyd's very early years, (b) the director's name is prominently absent from every description of the DVD, and (c) it contains prominent warnings that "this DVD contains no performances by the band called Pink Floyd", which seems just a trifle worrisome
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Pink Floys "Pulse" DVD is finally here! - 07/10/06 02:41 AM
I found it here. CD Universe it states that This documentary feature does not include any music from Pink Floyd.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Pink Floys "Pulse" DVD is finally here! - 07/10/06 12:29 PM
Wow, Pulse is #1 on Amazon's DVD sales list today. It was #1 yesterday. I've never linked to anything so high. Usually my selections are #42,820 or something like that.
Looks like you've gone mainstream on us.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Pink Floys "Pulse" DVD is finally here! - 07/12/06 09:27 PM
My copy of the Pulse DVD came in the mail today from Amazon. That and also the R30 DVD from Rush.

Sadly, my receiver is back at Harman for service. Looks like it will be a few weeks before I can check these out in their full glory.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Pink Floys "Pulse" DVD is finally here! - 07/12/06 10:12 PM
Man, will you be in for a treat when the receiver is back in action! I couldn't imagine two better concerts!

The sound on R30 is a lot better than Rush in Rio. Haven't gotten Pulse yet, but I remember the Delicate Sound of Thunder VHS being awesome - one of my college staples.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Pink Floys "Pulse" DVD is finally here! - 07/13/06 01:45 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you Dave. For DR purposes you should always have a back up.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Pink Floys "Pulse" DVD is finally here! - 07/13/06 04:13 AM
Quote:

That and also the R30 DVD from Rush.

R30 DVD? That's my postal code!

Ooh, no, no.. wait, I've got a better one... "is that R2D2's little brother?"

Bren R.
I just purchased the Pulse DVD & Rush Replay X3 today. Initial thoughts are the recorded sound level of the Pulse VHS is louder than the DVD (I have both). Will investigate further this week. You will be ecstatic when you watch/listen to the Rush R30.
Cheers,
Shaun
So has anyone actually purchased and watched Pulse yet? Worth getting?
Mark,
I have watched the first disc of the Pulse DVD. It is definitely worth purchasing even if you have the VHS version. There are some cool extras in the discs as well (Bootlegging the bootleggers etc.). I'll report back once I have had time to watch the whole package.
Cheers,
Shaun
Note: there are two audio settings available 448 or 640 kbps. In addition there is an audio set-up feature (Dolby Digital 5.1) with test tones etc.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Pink Floys "Pulse" DVD is finally here! - 07/13/06 08:52 PM
Quote:

Man, will you be in for a treat when the receiver is back in action! I couldn't imagine two better concerts!

The sound on R30 is a lot better than Rush in Rio.

I don't own the Rio DVD, but have the CDs and they are overly compressed. Great concert though. I did see Rush in Salt Lake City when they did the R30 tour. Fantastic show. The nice thing about the deluxe R30 DVD is that it includes the audio CDs along with it. No need to buy them extra! Thanks Geddy, Alex and Neil.

Quote:

Haven't gotten Pulse yet, but I remember the Delicate Sound of Thunder VHS being awesome - one of my college staples.

I agree! Loved that VHS. I still have it but it doesn't get used much since I don't have a VHS hooked up in the theater.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Pink Floys "Pulse" DVD is finally here! - 07/13/06 09:00 PM
Quote:

My thoughts and prayers are with you Dave. For DR purposes you should always have a back up.

Thanks for your prayers I do have a 6.1 Sony A/V receiver (don't recall the model) but I don't feel confident in its abilities to drive the M80s. Mainly I don't want to go thru the hassle of diconnecting it behind the TV cabinet upstairs and hauling it downstairs. Then reversing the process when the RV-8 returns.

Wait I just realized what you meant... I should have a *dedicated* backup just sitting in the rack. I'll get to work on that right away.

Everyones confirmation on what I am missing is very comforting, thanks!
Posted By: rdwarn Re: Pink Floys "Pulse" DVD is finally here! - 07/14/06 05:04 PM
I bought it on July 11th and have listened to most of it on both discs. My first impressions are that it is definitly a giant leap forward from the VHS version, however, I was somewhat disappointed in the sound imo. While it is very clear in all 3 sound modes, I have to really crank up my reciever to get the same volume that I enjoy on other DVD's such as NIN-All that could have been, Gov't Mule - The Deepest End, Allman Bros.- Live at the Beacon Theatre. The bass on both DD 5.1 mixes is pretty incredible though. Much deeper and punchier then I expected.

I read other reviews of the video being disappointing but I thought it was rather good. A little grainy in a few spots but otherwise pretty solid.

For something that was so anticipated and was delayed multiple times, I guess i was expecting better.
© Axiom Message Boards