Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BrenR Dontcha hate... - 10/10/06 06:07 PM
... when you forget your earplugs?

I've made a conscious effort since I started working in the field of live music to protect my hearing.

Then along came Keith Morris and Jim Lindberg.

Got comped tix for a thanksgiving show here for the Circle Jerks and Pennywise (second link NSFW). I'm not really into the new Epitaph rock-rap-metal sound, but I figured if the CJs were still at it 26 years later, least I can do is go and check it out.

I have no real point here, just wanted to post the link to the CJ video.

Bren R.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Dontcha hate... - 10/10/06 07:19 PM
They need a bigger video budget.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Dontcha hate... - 10/10/06 07:43 PM
When I was in music school I had a custom pair of earplugs made to the shape of my ear.

They fit like a glove and you can buy separate db filters for different amounts of sound blocking...All they filter out are the high frequencys.

for instance, I put in a 10db filter for a jazz gig (I don't wear plugs on a jazz gig, this is just an example)

Or i can put in a 30db filter for my hip hop gigs.

Schweet eh?

-Hutz
Posted By: BrenR Re: Dontcha hate... - 10/10/06 08:56 PM
A bigger video budget would make them lose cred.

Bren R.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Dontcha hate... - 10/11/06 01:39 PM
So the secret to cred of that kind is to hide that fact that you're actually well off, to be dishonest, insincere, fake, to put on a ruse?
Posted By: BrenR Re: Dontcha hate... - 10/11/06 04:40 PM
Quote:

So the secret to cred of that kind is to hide that fact that you're actually well off, to be dishonest, insincere, fake, to put on a ruse?

I can't imagine they're all that well off. They're not exactly media darlings, and I don't think Hasbro ever licensed the Zander Schloss bass-dude action figure. I'm guessing guitarist Greg Hetson's got a bit of a nest egg set up for himself, but he's working two jobs - when not jerking circles (yes, I know the sexual connotation of the band's name) he preaches some of the ol' time Bad Religion, as he stepped in for Mr. Brett (Gurewitz) in the 90s when Brett had to get clean and devote himself to his Epitaph label (Epitaph - we've still got B.R. and Rancid!) and stuck around when he came back.

Other than that, I'm not so sure the punk/crossover lifestyle really pays too well.

Bren R.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Dontcha hate... - 10/11/06 05:15 PM
So they really do shun the handshake, then?
Posted By: BrenR Re: Dontcha hate... - 10/11/06 05:26 PM
Fend for yourself.

Bren R.
Posted By: jimmienorton Re: Dontcha hate... - 10/11/06 09:57 PM
I had backstage passes to pennywise,the meatmen and offspring at the old 930 club in DC and ive got to tell you many brain cell got burnt that night.this was way before they got big like mid 90's.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Dontcha hate... - 10/11/06 11:21 PM
We're the Meatmen... and you suck.

Funny story about them... my bro bought one of their albums he'd never heard of before when it was rereleased on CD... he brought it home and I asked him why he'd bought the Meat Puppets.

Bren R.
© Axiom Message Boards