Axiom Home Page
Posted By: RickF Glad it was a friendly! - 11/03/06 10:41 PM
I was out getting stuff out of my truck this afternoon and noticed this beautiful critter right above my head....

The 4-5 ft long Rat Snake was very friendly and I didn't bother him ... just moved my truck out of the way so he wouldn't crawl inside of it somewhere.

Posted By: BrenR Re: Glad it was a friendly! - 11/03/06 10:52 PM
Ah, but can he drive stick?

Bren R.
Posted By: RickF Re: Glad it was a friendly! - 11/03/06 11:02 PM
I don't know about that Bren but he sure was checking out the water hose.

Funny, just this morning there was another Rat Snake about half the length of this one that popped out from the engine compartment of my wife's car and was laying across the windshield wiper blade. I went to get him out and he scooted back into the engine compartment somewhere, couldn't find him for nothing ... about 40 minutes later whenever my wife was getting ready to leave for work I saw it crawling from underneath the car and making a bee line to the shrubs. Smart guy!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Glad it was a friendly! - 11/03/06 11:12 PM
I know it's no big deal, but I'm fascinated that a creature with no arms, hands, legs, or feet can climb like that. Quite remarkable when you think about it. I assume Rat snakes are not poisonous.
Posted By: RickF Re: Glad it was a friendly! - 11/03/06 11:24 PM
>>> I assume Rat snakes are not poisonous.

Jack Rat Snakes are not poisonous and are not aggressive snakes ... they are quite friendly, although they will take a striking 'stance' if threatened but their bite is harmless and more of defensive mechanism. They are really cool creatures! This guy is rather large for our area but I've been told that they will get to over 6 ft in length around here.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Glad it was a friendly! - 11/03/06 11:25 PM
Those are great pictures, Rick, but I hate snakes! I remember camping a few years ago and thought it might be a good idea one morning to go jogging along the highway in the beautiful woods. While on the way back, this snake slithered out of the weeds right in front of me causing me to almost trip over him! I about had a heart attack! I think I surprised him as well because he turned around and went right back into the weeds. Well, I had about a mile to go to get back to the campsite, and needless to say, I was sooo paranoid. It was the longest mile of my life. On top of that, I had to look at lots of road kill along the way. I will never, ever, run along highways again!
Posted By: RickF Re: Glad it was a friendly! - 11/03/06 11:31 PM
Mary I used to be the very same regarding snakes, hated them with a passion but having a young son who loved snakes really educated me about these creatures ... I now find them fascinating and have a lot of respect for them.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Glad it was a friendly! - 11/03/06 11:46 PM
Rick, I'm sorry to say my wife may never visit your beautiful home now. Although she grew up on a farm and was around many animals/critters/pets growing up. She is totally scared and freaked out by snakes. I don't know if your brothers scared her as a kid or what. She is telling her mom right now and she is freaking out saying I don't care what brand of snake it is, its head would come off.

Heck my wife freaks out if she sees a baby garder snake about the size of an earthworm...

Me, I can't stand spiders.
Posted By: Wid Re: Glad it was a friendly! - 11/03/06 11:57 PM
It's a beautiful creature imo. I have always loved snakes and reptiles. Up to just a few years ago we had a python and various reptiles in the house. Even growing up my parents allowed my brother and I to have these critters in the house.

Talking about spiders, that was one of my favorite pets. I at one time would have four or more tarantulas in the house. It freaked the wife out a bit when they would escape for a couple of weeks but I always found them.

Here's one of the last ones I got rid of.

Posted By: RickF Re: Glad it was a friendly! - 11/04/06 12:12 AM
Randy my wife used to be the very same, she doesn't mind the critters too much nowadays. I guess she must figure if she put up with me for over 25 years anything beyond that is a piece of cake ... makes sense!

Dang Rick, that's a mighty big spider! I remember living in Texas as a kid and seeing those things everywhere, also another critter I haven't seen since is a Horned Toad ... although we called 'em Horny Toads. Hey, we were 5 and didn't know ... OK!

Horned Toad...

Posted By: sonicfox Re: Glad it was a friendly! - 11/04/06 01:47 AM
Rick, I took these photos of these two little guys when I was in Florida. By chance, can you identify any of them...out of the thousands of species of lizards that probably exist there?! It *never* hurts to ask!

Posted By: snakeyes Re: Glad it was a friendly! - 11/04/06 02:26 AM
Quote:

Rick, I took these photos of these two little guys when I was in Florida. By chance, can you identify any of them...out of the thousands of species of lizards that probably exist there?! It *never* hurts to ask!

I think the first one sells car insurance/
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Glad it was a friendly! - 11/04/06 02:45 AM
Nice photos Rick. I like the one where the snake is coming down the stone. Fascinating creatures. Haven't had much first hand experience with them. Seeing as how there are quite a few rattlesnakes where I live I count that as a good thing!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Glad it was a friendly! - 11/04/06 03:28 AM
Yeah Rick, he may have had amorous intentions toward your water hose!
Posted By: Spoiler Re: Glad it was a friendly! - 11/04/06 12:29 PM
Hi Mary! You got me curious as to what kind of lizards they are, as I've lived with them for years! (Nice shots of them by the way).

Anyway after looking them up, they're apparently both variants of "Anole" lizards, very common here in Florida. They have the ability to change skin color somewhat depending on what's around them. They seem to have an affinity for my door jambs... they occasionally pop in when I open doors to the outside. I don't mind tho, gives my indoor cat something to get excited about!
Posted By: ThunderRd Re: Glad it was a friendly! - 11/04/06 01:22 PM
Hose your Daddy! Hose your Daddy!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Glad it was a friendly! - 11/04/06 04:07 PM
That's pretty funny right there. I don't care who you are....

(Dedicated to Tom).....
© Axiom Message Boards