Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Hutzal Baseboard and carpet question... - 01/17/07 11:25 PM
I will be getting carpet installed in my basement in the next 2 weeks (hopefully) to make a home just for my Axioms to arrive in 3 weeks (hopefully as well!).

My question is do I need base boards installed to properly keep the carpet in place on the edges? I could just ask my carpet installer, but I am too lazy to phone him right now...

Thanks!
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Baseboard and carpet question... - 01/18/07 12:12 AM
Quote:

My question is do I need base boards installed to properly keep the carpet in place on the edges?

No, they will either use a tack strip to hold the carpet down, or nowdays they are gluing the entire carpet to the floor.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Baseboard and carpet question... - 01/18/07 01:55 AM
No, base boards just give you that finished look, like you have upstairs. The carpet should have nailing strips around the edges and the installer will 'kick' it into place, which puts some tension on the carpet to hold it against the nails and remove ripples so it remains flat after it stretches a bit.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Baseboard and carpet question... - 01/18/07 03:14 AM
I placed my trim down before the carpet install, but left it off the concrete about the thickness of the trim by placing a piece underneath when nailing.

The carpet installers will normally use tack strips and stretch the carpet to those.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Baseboard and carpet question... - 01/18/07 05:32 AM
Some installers like to not have the baseboard down before the carpet, others (like Sirquack's) like it baseboard first.

In my basement, which is a never ending project, I have no baseboard, or any trim in so far. We are trying to finally get the bathroom done (almost ready for the plumber to come back and hook everything up), get some shelves up in a closet, and finish my home theater equipment rack (I need 3 pull out drawers yet). I did, however get my star ceiling done and put up tonight, so I am getting there. Anyway, you may need to check with your installer as to if they care if the baseboard is on or not anyway. And as Sirquack said, if you do it before the carpet, you must leave an even gap between the uncarpetted floor and the bottom of the baseboard to allow for the carpet to be "tucked" under it.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Baseboard and carpet question... - 01/18/07 03:01 PM
Ya, we are doing my basement in stages as well..

I will have no baseboards for at least a month after the carpet install if I don't have to. It will probably be freaking ugly along the edges...but I'll have a Home Theatre!

Number #1 priority is getting my theatre room done...who cares about trim anyway??
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Baseboard and carpet question... - 01/18/07 08:39 PM
Quote:

Number #1 priority is getting my theatre room done...who cares about trim anyway??

Besides, you watch movies with the lights dim, or off... You'll never miss that trim (for a few months anyway), right?
Posted By: BrenR Re: Baseboard and carpet question... - 01/18/07 08:57 PM
If it makes you feel any better... we've been without some crown moulding for about 2 years now. I made the mistake of suggesting I'd mill the entire basement myself. 3/4 of it is done... just have to get over to my uncle's to do another 30 or so linear feet... and I always think about finishing it in winter. His workshop isn't heated.

Maybe in spring.

Bren R.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Baseboard and carpet question... - 01/18/07 09:11 PM
>>Maybe in spring.>>

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Baseboard and carpet question... - 01/18/07 09:20 PM
Yep, our carpet installers, said it is best to have the trip up as it gives a better finished look when they tuck the carpet and attach it to the tack board. If they put the carpet down first, it is much harder to install the trim after the fact evenly and level.
Posted By: Wid Re: Baseboard and carpet question... - 01/18/07 09:22 PM
Quote:

Yep, our carpet installers, said it is best to have the trip up as it gives a better finished look when they tuck the carpet and attach it to the tack board. If they put the carpet down first, it is much harder to install the trim after the fact evenly and level.

What is the trip
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Baseboard and carpet question... - 01/19/07 03:26 AM
The best installers are the ones on a trip man! Bob, Bobs not here man....
© Axiom Message Boards