Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ajax What Do YOU Think? - 04/13/07 11:37 AM
Got a new computer. I thought I had noticed that web pages were loading faster.

Before (4/2/07):

Actually, 10:57AM EDT

After (4/13/07):

Actually 7:07AM EDT

Frederick, MD is the server closest to me. Other, more distant, servers have been slower, but they've all been over 10,000 kbps. Can a new computer really make that much difference???????

FYI: The 4th quarter of last year, I was averaging around 8000 kbps. For some reason, toward the end of January this year, my speed dropped precipitously as reflected by the "Before" reading above. Maybe my ISP was just having a hiccup, or something.

Link to Speedtest.net
Posted By: medic8r Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/13/07 12:43 PM
Thanks for the link - that's a really cool way to test a PC. I'm subscribing to a 3M/1M DSL for my business and found that my results are actually closer to 4.3/0.5, but I'll take it because it means the Axiom boards download faster!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/13/07 02:16 PM
I dunno... You still seem to be lagging a bit...

Posted By: Ajax Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/13/07 03:26 PM
Sagging as well. It's my age. OH, you mean the speedtest.

You're at work.....you cheater.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/13/07 09:36 PM
Jack.... you REALLY have to find yourself a hobby!
Posted By: richeydog Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/13/07 10:15 PM
Quote:

Jack.... you REALLY have to find yourself a hobby!

Collecting nasal hair isn't a hobby?
Posted By: Ajax Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/13/07 11:09 PM
It's a good thing you're a Red Wings fan. Loved game 1. Game 2 on Sunday.
Posted By: richeydog Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/14/07 01:01 AM
I only kid the ones I love.

Game 1 was terrific. Red Wings were awesome.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/14/07 09:55 AM
This is 3am at my office in Los Angeles...uggg...

Though...which is worse...that download speed, or the fact that I'm at the office at 3am?

Posted By: Wid Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/14/07 11:51 AM

Mine looks worst of all so far

Posted By: snakeyes Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/14/07 12:40 PM

cant wait for FIOS
Jake
Posted By: richeydog Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/14/07 04:48 PM
I'm the champion(of slowness) so far...Of course I'm using dial-up.

Posted By: bridgman Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/14/07 04:53 PM
OK, that's wierd. I got 24 Kbps down, which makes sense (26.4 Kbps dial-up) but 172 Kbps up.

The connection dropped and reset the link statistics before I could see whether data compression on the dial-up link accounted for the reading (I kinda doubt it).

At least the speed test utility didn't make any snarky "please connect to the Internet and try again" comments, however the "speedometer needle" barely budged off the stop

Posted By: CV Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/14/07 05:16 PM
The idea that dial-up is still out there makes me cry.
Posted By: bridgman Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/14/07 05:24 PM
It makes YOU cry ? How do you think WE feel ?

I could get Ka or Ku-band satellite internet , but I would have to cut down roughly 170 60-foot trees to get a clear shot at the satellites. It would really ruin the look of the property.

When time and money permit, I'll probably end up putting a small observatory* at the south end of the property maybe 1000 feet from the house, with solar panels for power, the satellite dish & modem, plus some way to get the network connection back to my house.

Hey, I just had a "simplifying thought" -- worst case I guess I could just hike out to the observatory when I needed to use the Internet.

* Put lawnmowers and gas cans in a small ugly building, you call it a shed. Put a telescope in the same small ugly building, and suddenly it's an observatory
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/14/07 05:54 PM

nothing more to add, thats a good reading you're pulling Jack!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/14/07 07:07 PM

not the worst I've seen... considering I didn't shut down other network apps, etc.

OK, after looking at you bozos, it's pretty bad. Gets the job done in general, though.
Posted By: Ajax Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/14/07 09:39 PM
Quote:

...thats a good reading you're pulling Jack!

Yes, it is. I still am having trouble believing that a new, faster computer would make that much difference.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/14/07 10:25 PM

My upload speeds definetly arent all that impressive... Of course you guys are connecting to servers 50 miles away. I'm a bit more than that.
Posted By: dllewel Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/14/07 11:17 PM
Quote:

Quote:

...thats a good reading you're pulling Jack!

Yes, it is. I still am having trouble believing that a new, faster computer would make that much difference.

Hey Jack, yes I've had the exact same experience. A new faster computer does help speed up your Internet browsing, depending on how slow the old one was. I guess there could be a lot of factors with the new hardware and software.
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/14/07 11:43 PM

Not bad for a standard cable line, I suppose. Download speeds vary by quite a bit depending on the time of day, though.
Posted By: bridgman Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/15/07 12:16 AM
AFAIK it's usually the network interface that makes 99% of the difference.
Posted By: Ajax Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/15/07 02:00 AM
I would like to apologize, publicly, to John (Bridgman) and Michael (Richeydog) for every photograph I've ever posted on this forum. After looking at your speeds, I've come to the conclusion that you both must have the patience of Job.
Posted By: bridgman Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/15/07 02:53 AM
Hopefully everyone will now understand why I was complaining about Randy's two megabyte Scarlett Johanssen avatar. I'm always happy to see Scarlett, just wasn't happy about the 30 minute download time for the avatar

EDIT -- Jack, don't worry. Your photos have always been tastefully sized and dial-up friendly. It's the "I paid for that 15 megapixel image sensor and I'll be d***ed if I'm gonna waste one single pixel" crowd that causes us grief.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/17/07 01:05 AM
Quote:

You're at work.....you cheater.

You were right, of course. Here are my home results. (I had to use the New York server since the other ones were showing really slow results.)

Man, I love FIOS.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/17/07 01:07 AM
I hate you.

Well, not really. I hate A T & "we don't need FIOS" T.
Posted By: Ajax Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/17/07 01:14 AM
Show off!
Posted By: Murph Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/17/07 03:54 AM
Just a note.
Take all these readings with a grain of salt. even though you can choose a server close to you, you still may travel a different route to get there nearly every time giving you different results each time.

That being said, if you do it often enough to get a realtively consistant reading, it can be useful. If your ISP offers a server actually on your 'network' so to speak, that is going to be the only true test.

You are always at the mercy of the world when you travel the internet. One bad hop through an abnormally vusy router in some city and your test can look miserable. But since there realy isn't much of a better way to test, I'm not dissing these too much. They are probably about the best test you can do for now.

If you want to realy make it interesting. Learn how to use the TRACERT command and you will be able to see the path your data is traveling and see where it slows down along the way. Also interesting to see how your path from one city to the next will often change and thus so will your speed.

Pretty easy to do. Find out the IP address of where you want to test to and Open a DOS window and type in
TRACERT [ip address].

IN fact, you can even use a URL
TRACERT www.google.ca

Just something for when you are bored. Or at least as bored as I am to type this out at 1 in the am. heh heh

Goodnight!
Posted By: jakewash Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/17/07 08:01 AM
I'll play
[image][/image]

It does the job.
Posted By: Saturn Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/20/07 04:43 AM

Posted By: michael_d Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/21/07 05:32 PM
SSSSSMMMOKKINGGG.......hoo-yaa!! Love this DSL!! LOL

Posted By: SirQuack Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/21/07 07:09 PM
I love my DSL also.

Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/22/07 07:00 AM
Your guys' connections are like old ladies crossing the street compared to mine.

Dan wins.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/22/07 07:02 AM
Quote:

Just a note.
Take all these readings with a grain of salt. even though you can choose a server close to you, you still may travel a different route to get there nearly every time giving you different results each time.

That being said, if you do it often enough to get a realtively consistant reading, it can be useful. If your ISP offers a server actually on your 'network' so to speak, that is going to be the only true test.

You are always at the mercy of the world when you travel the internet. One bad hop through an abnormally vusy router in some city and your test can look miserable. But since there realy isn't much of a better way to test, I'm not dissing these too much. They are probably about the best test you can do for now.

If you want to realy make it interesting. Learn how to use the TRACERT command and you will be able to see the path your data is traveling and see where it slows down along the way. Also interesting to see how your path from one city to the next will often change and thus so will your speed.

Pretty easy to do. Find out the IP address of where you want to test to and Open a DOS window and type in
TRACERT [ip address].

IN fact, you can even use a URL
TRACERT www.google.ca

Just something for when you are bored. Or at least as bored as I am to type this out at 1 in the am. heh heh

Goodnight!

There are some cool programs out there that actually put all the "Hops" your connection goes through on a map.
Posted By: speakergrrl Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/22/07 03:38 PM
yuk, this is the dial-up at my folks' house. Oh well, at least I can get my laundry done and get some home-cookin.

Posted By: samandnoah Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/22/07 05:18 PM
And here's mine. It's been pretty consistent over the past week at various times.

Posted By: real80sman Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/22/07 05:41 PM
Same DSL account I've had for 7 years. It does what I need, for the most part.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/22/07 05:48 PM
Some of you guys are making me cry. Stupid AT&SBPacbell.
Posted By: bridgman Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/22/07 09:43 PM
Now here is the performance from my parents house (I guess I should call it my mother's house now ) :

Speakergrrl, I have the opposite problem. Internet connection sucks at home and is great at my folks place
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/23/07 03:39 AM
Dan cheated, and Peter still wins!
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/23/07 05:02 AM
Quote:

Dan cheated, and Peter still wins!

Someone's being a sore loser
Posted By: samandnoah Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/23/07 06:16 PM
OK, here's mine from work. Wow! What a difference.

Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/23/07 07:46 PM
Quote:

You must be on a better subnet...

WhatFurrer
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/23/07 10:05 PM
Quote:

Quote:

You must be on a better subnet...

WhatFurrer

You guys work for Dell?

How many computer problems to you guys have...daily?

Posted By: Ajax Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/25/07 03:35 PM
OK. So, I had trouble getting on the internet yesterday morning. Contacted my ISP tech support, and they had me reset my cable modem which necessitated resetting my router.

Before yesterday:

Today:

WTH! Over.

I tried a longer hop to Salt Lake City, and it came in around 14k+. Before yesterday I'd get around 10+k going to Salt Lake. But I tried Frederick, MD again and got 23+k

I wish I understood computers and how they work . It will be interesting to see if this is SOP, or merely an overoptimistic speed bump on the road to the WWW.

Richard & Wayne. Either of you guys able to get me a ridiculous discount on a modest Dell laptop (or a modest discount on a ridiculous Dell laptop )?

Posted By: Zarak Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/25/07 08:07 PM
The cable company probably upped your bandwidth, but you need to reset the cable modem for it to take effect. Since you did, the speed is now faster.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/25/07 08:15 PM
I've heard that lubricating your network cables with Vasoline helps them last longer, perform better, and allows data to "slide" along more quickly.

That's how I got my huge speed increase that I posted a while back.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/25/07 08:34 PM
No. You need to use a water-based look. They're slipperier.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/25/07 08:44 PM
Wow, I didn't know it was a word. I would have just used "more slippery." If we didn't group-excommunicate and execute the grammar bot, it would be very proud of you.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/25/07 08:45 PM
Silicone based is even slipperier.
Posted By: GrammarBot Re: What Do YOU Think? - 04/25/07 08:55 PM
Quote:

If we didn't group-excommunicate and execute the grammar bot, it would be very proud of you.

<gag>mmm ammm bmmm pmmmd uhmm ymmm!

HMMMMMLP!!!</gag>
© Axiom Message Boards