Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi fundamentals of engineering - 04/21/07 11:35 AM
well folks... I am about to head out the door to take the 8 hour fundamentals of engineering exam. 120 probs in the morning and 60 in the afternoon.

Wish me luck!
Posted By: Wid Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/21/07 11:41 AM
Good luck with your exam.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/21/07 12:36 PM
Good luck from me as well!
Posted By: jakeman Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/21/07 01:34 PM
Good luck. I'm glad to read that exam still happens. I remember taking one 30 years ago and how rigourous it was.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/21/07 04:01 PM
Ugh, 8 hours? Good luck!

It's giving me a headache just thinking about it.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/21/07 10:30 PM
well Its all said and done now! The first four hours was really easy and the afternoon test was pretty tough. overall Id say I did pretty good.

thanks for the luck!
Posted By: JohnK Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/22/07 01:59 AM
T, I suppose that I can still send best wishes that your analysis and calculations were on target. Now just imagine: those were only the fundamentals?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/22/07 06:33 AM
Either, he did okay and he's out celebrating, or he's still in there takin' the test. Hmm. . .
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/22/07 06:43 AM
Quote:

Either, he did okay and he's out celebrating, or he's still in there takin' the test. Hmm. . .

Either that or he died from a brain overload.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: fundamentals of engineering - 10/10/07 04:47 PM
update. I passed the exam. I got my results a couple of months ago but forgot to mention that I passed... ( they don't give the score just a pass/fail)

I know the suspense has been killing all of you, but you can now return to your normal sleep schedule
Posted By: Mojo Re: fundamentals of engineering - 10/10/07 10:14 PM
What discipline of engineering?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: fundamentals of engineering - 10/10/07 11:42 PM
civil engineering.
I have an interest in soil mechanics/geotech so I am looking to start toward a graduate dergree next semester.
Posted By: jakewash Re: fundamentals of engineering - 10/11/07 12:10 AM
Congratulations, I don't miss having to take exams.
Posted By: Mojo Re: fundamentals of engineering - 10/11/07 12:13 AM
My father-in-law was the chief concrete engineer for some huge dams built in the 60s and 70s in Canada. He was a geotechnical engineer and a geologist. My brother-in-law is a civil engineer who worked as a geotechical consultant for years and is now a concrete quality engineer. I suggest you also try to take a basic course in project management to better prepare you for your career. It will be looked upon very favourably by your future employer.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: fundamentals of engineering - 10/11/07 03:28 AM

I am currently working for the Corps of Engineer's in the Geotech and Dam Safety section. I would love to have worked back in the '40's when most of the Dams were being built around my area. Since no dams are currently being designed we focus mostly on safety, upkeep, repair, ect. of existing structures.

We are required to take a construction management class in our undergrad program, but graduate level versions are available.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: fundamentals of engineering - 10/11/07 04:13 AM
Congrats, now I can sleep at night. \:\)
Posted By: Mojo Re: fundamentals of engineering - 10/11/07 05:00 AM
Up until a few years ago, I would wake up in the morning very nervous because I believed that it was the day for the big electromagnetics exam. The feeling lasted for about 5 seconds and then I'd breathe a big sigh of relief as I realized I passed that exam 17 years earlier.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: fundamentals of engineering - 10/11/07 03:09 PM
Do you still dream of flux fields?
Posted By: Mojo Re: fundamentals of engineering - 10/11/07 03:27 PM
No. I got enough of them at work. It would have been great if during university you got exposed to EM testing in anechoic chambers. That's where you really start to get a sense of what's going on. I must admit that I never understood Maxwell until I happened upon "Fundamentals of Electric Waves" written by Skilling in 1948.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: fundamentals of engineering - 10/11/07 04:14 PM
Sounds like something I should read. It was the damn EM stuff that knocked me out of Physics in college. That and the advanced mechanics. And sequences and series in multivariable calculus. Hmm...
At least I understand relativity and quantum mechanics. Sigh.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: fundamentals of engineering - 11/20/11 03:13 AM
My how time flies! It's been 4 years since I finished my undergrad. One must have 4 years of work experience after college and have successfully completed the FE exam before they can take the PE (professional engineering) exam. I'm about to submit my application (and $415 in testing fees) for the PE which I will take in April. So, wish me luck as I have a LOT of studying to do over the next 5 months.

Also, I have been working towards my masters in civil engineering (construction management) since 2007 and am finally finishing up. I turned in my final research paper and I have one more class meeting in my last college class ever. I decided to do the graduation ceremony since I didn't do it for my under grad and my parents were bummed. Ive got my cap and gown all ready to go and I've got a hotel booked in Stillwater OK. Going to hit the bars one last time as a college student (I couldn't resist)
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: fundamentals of engineering - 11/20/11 04:55 AM
Congratulations and good luck on your PE exam. I'm about to retire after 30+ years in construction management, and I can tell you things have changed a lot since I started. I used to spend most of my time actually involved in building things, but now it's all about the paperwork. That, and inept contractors!

My hard hat is off to you for completing your engineering education. It's probably the hardest thing you'll ever do. Enjoy the accomplishment!
Posted By: CV Re: fundamentals of engineering - 11/20/11 05:06 AM
Nice job! I've never been able to push myself through anything even close to that long-term. Good luck studying for the PE.
Posted By: Murph Re: fundamentals of engineering - 11/21/11 01:20 PM
Congratulations! Here's to you acing the PE exam.
Posted By: jakewash Re: fundamentals of engineering - 11/24/11 03:34 AM
Best of luck with those tests David.

$415 isn't that bad considering an auto mechanic has to spend about that to complete all of the ASE tests.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: fundamentals of engineering - 11/24/11 05:02 AM
Yeah, it could be worse.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: fundamentals of engineering - 11/24/11 05:06 AM
Good luck and happy studying?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: fundamentals of engineering - 02/17/12 03:49 AM
Studying is going well so far. Exam is on April 13th so I'm down to about 2 months. I've got a stack of papers about 9" high of all of the problems that I have worked so far, gathered TONS of references, tabbed the hell out of some of my books, etc. I've been working a lot of problems in both the morning breadth and afternoon geotech depth module that I will be taking.

I'm attending a PE training course in Dallas for 3 weekends spread across march. I'm really looking forward to getting some benefit from this class. I'll be making the 5 hour drive down on Wednesday night,coming back Sunday night (class is from 9-5 thur, fri, sat, and sunday- repeated 3 times).

My goal is to be so over prepared for this exam that I walk out mad at myself for wasting so much time studying.

So far I am on track but have a lot more to go.

I'm going to sit down this saturday and take an 8 hour mock exam. The organization that puts on the test sells a sample exam which I bought a month or two back but have yet to crack open as I've been waiting until I feel a little more prepared and can do an actual test run with it.

Posted By: Murph Re: fundamentals of engineering - 02/17/12 01:47 PM
Wow, keep up the hard work!! I'm confident it will be rewarded.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: fundamentals of engineering - 02/17/12 01:52 PM
Excellent! Keep going, David!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: fundamentals of engineering - 02/17/12 01:59 PM
Go David, Go David, it's your Henry66's Birthday
Posted By: SmokeyMcBear Re: fundamentals of engineering - 02/17/12 07:50 PM
Congrats on your Masters and good luck on the exam. I passed the CA exam in April of 11' and its pretty damn satisfying. We have 3 exams to take, the general (I chose water resources as that is my area), seismic, and surveying. I went full bore on the seismic studying but was able to pass all 3 on the first try. All I could really recommend is dont spend too much time on one question. If you don't know how to do it right off the bat, I would say skip it, and make sure you get to the ones that you know immediately how to solve. Then go back to the ones you didnt and work on those. I know for sure of a bunch of questions I wasnt too confident in, and left those for last and was able to get in done. Good luck!!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: fundamentals of engineering - 02/18/12 02:19 AM
Thanks for the advice!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/08/12 02:54 AM
6 days till the big test. I'm feeling pretty confident, I think I'm gonna crush this thing. I took the sample exam several weeks back put out by the organization that makes the test in a simulated test run and scored a 92%. I've since had an 80 hour training class (split over 3, 4 day weekends) and studied countless hours.

In any event, send positive thoughts my way on Friday April 13th.

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/08/12 03:26 AM
Ha ha, figures the test is on Friday the 13th.

Good luck, David!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/08/12 04:17 AM
Yeah, I hope no one comes in wearing a hokey mask and tries to chop us into bits...
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/08/12 06:14 AM
Hi David, I also want to say good luck. And don't worry about all that Friday the 13th stuff. Just take a rabbit's foot with you,wear your lucky shirt, don't break any mirrors that day. Before leaving home throw a little salt over your right shoulder. Don't walk under any ladders when your outside looking for that four leaf clover. Lastly don't let a black cat cross it's path in front of you.

Do all this, and cram for the exam, you'll be fine. Again best of luck.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/08/12 04:30 PM
*hockey
Posted By: Murph Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/09/12 12:08 PM
Best of luck David, although it sounds like you won't be needing it.
Posted By: Adrian Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/09/12 02:42 PM
Good luck David. As Murph said, you sound like you don't need it, we make our own luck.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/09/12 03:03 PM
One more "Good luck" from me, with the same disclaimers! smile
Posted By: terzaghi Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/13/12 01:02 AM
Reporting to exam site at 7:15 AM tom.

Guess what I'm gonna do this weekend? I have absolutely no idea, but it's NOT going to be studying. I think I'll sit down in front of my axioms with a nice bottle of Scotch...
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/13/12 01:21 AM
Good Luck! With all the prep work you've done, I bet you'll nail it.
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/14/12 07:15 PM
terzaghi, what can we expect first, your grade results, or an empty scotch bottle hitting the trash can?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/14/12 09:30 PM
Since it takes 8 weeks for exam results I would say the scotch smile.

I'd be surprised if I don't pass. The morning sessions was easy, I'm sure I aced it. The afternoon was pretty tough, but I think I did well. There were several obscure questions on topics that I was familiar with in general, but the specifics of the problem came from left field.

Overall I think I did really well. I was excited waking up for the test, only nervous about 30 minutes before. I was nervous for about the fist 5 minutes of testing in the morning and the first 10 minutes in the afternoon. Otherwise, I was in a pretty good rhythm solving problems. I was looking forward to turning the page and seeing what they could throw at me next. I would say I was over prepared for the general morning session, and adequately prepared for the afternoon discipline specific questions. Who knows until I get my actual results though...
Posted By: Lampshade Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/14/12 09:38 PM
what kind of scotch?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/14/12 09:59 PM
I would say that Lampy has hit on the most important question of the day.

Congrats on finishing it, David!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/14/12 11:46 PM
Went with Macallan 18.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/14/12 11:53 PM
Good Luck!!
Posted By: dakkon Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/14/12 11:56 PM
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Overall I think I did really well. I was excited waking up for the test, only nervous about 30 minutes before. I was nervous for about the fist 5 minutes of testing in the morning and the first 10 minutes in the afternoon.

This is why i freaking hate standardized tests...... all of them....

Hope you did well, Good luck.
Posted By: SBrown Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/15/12 08:09 AM
Hope you aced it!
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: fundamentals of engineering - 04/15/12 06:56 PM
Remember that Scotch bottle is recyclable.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/30/12 01:57 PM
Well, I passed! Now to get that Scotch...

Posted By: pmbuko Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/30/12 02:01 PM
Its' nice that they highlighted the important line for you in case you were too nervous to find it.

Congrats, smart guy. smile
Posted By: SBrown Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/30/12 02:17 PM
Way to go David. smile
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/30/12 02:24 PM
Originally Posted By: SBrown
Way to go David. smile

Concurrage smile.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/30/12 02:27 PM
Your concurrigible, Cam. :P
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/30/12 02:32 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Your concurrigible, Cam. :P

You're corrigible, Peter grin wink smile .
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/30/12 02:52 PM
I'm corrugated. Which means I recycle differently.

Congratulations here too, David!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/30/12 04:09 PM
Well done!
Posted By: BobKay Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/30/12 04:14 PM
I can't believe that there is a person among us who doubted for a moment that you would receive that letter! Rock on, David!

Sing along with Alice: School's out forever!
Posted By: RickF Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/30/12 11:16 PM
Congrats David!

I thought you were still down in Mexico sipping on an alcoholic beverage.
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/30/12 11:49 PM
Good deal,congrats David!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/31/12 01:17 AM
Congratulations, David!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/31/12 01:35 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm sure many can relate to the feeling of completing a challenging goal that you had for several years. I'm glad to have it done!

Unfortunately, I was only in Mexico for 8 days and have been back since the 21st frown. We had a blast though and met lots of nice people!
Posted By: BobKay Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/31/12 01:39 AM
David, are you already in the "job," or are greener pastures coming next?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/31/12 03:29 AM
Same job I've had for about 5 years, no plans to change. However, opportunities for additional advancement will now be possible in the future!
Posted By: JohnK Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/31/12 04:07 AM
Congratulations, David!
Posted By: CV Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/31/12 04:29 AM
Nice work!
Posted By: dakkon Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/31/12 04:31 AM
Congratulations, David...

Hopefully you only have one more standardized test to go... The one to get into grad school, Then done with standardized tests.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/31/12 05:19 AM
Congratulations!!!!
Hard work rewarded.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/31/12 01:25 PM
YeeeeHa!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/31/12 01:29 PM
(Translation: Meow.)
Posted By: medic8r Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/31/12 04:42 PM
Congrats!
Posted By: SRoode Re: fundamentals of engineering - 05/31/12 06:19 PM
Congratulations Engineer!!!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: fundamentals of engineering - 06/01/12 07:24 PM
Originally Posted By: dakkon
Hopefully you only have one more standardized test to go... The one to get into grad school, Then done with standardized tests.

Dakkon,
I started grad school in 2007 and finally finished in 2011. I completed my masters with evening classes while working.

The steps to get to engineering licensure are as follows:
B.S. Engineering Degree> FE Exam> Four years engineering experience> PE Exam
or
M.S. Engineering Degree> FE Exam > 3 years engineering Experience> PE Exam.

I can likely say I'm done with national standardized tests for good!

Thanks everyone for the congrats!
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: fundamentals of engineering - 06/02/12 01:50 AM
Congrats from a fellow (retired) engineer. It's a hard path but makes for a very rewarding career.
Posted By: jakewash Re: fundamentals of engineering - 06/03/12 03:57 AM
Congrats, a dream/desire realized is a wonderful thing.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: fundamentals of engineering - 06/03/12 01:46 PM
Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
Congratulations!!!!
Hard work rewarded.

Ditto.

People who resent money never make it. People who resent success never achieve it. Celebrate the success of others.
Posted By: fredk Re: fundamentals of engineering - 06/03/12 04:52 PM
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Originally Posted By: dakkon

Dakkon,
I started grad school in 2007 and finally finished in 2011. I completed my masters with evening classes while working.The steps to get to engineering licensure are as follows:
B.S. Engineering Degree> FE Exam> Four years engineering experience> PE Exam
or
M.S. Engineering Degree> FE Exam > 3 years engineering Experience> PE Exam.

I can likely say I'm done with national standardized tests for good!

Thanks everyone for the congrats!

That is no easy task. Must feel really good. Congrats.
© Axiom Message Boards