Axiom Home Page
Sony and JVC (and maybe others) have some very compact camcorder/digital camera combo units that record to a hard drive and memory stick/card. I know that they can do both functions, but can you be recording a video, and then, while still recording video, snap off a still picture at the camera resolution (2 or 5 megapixel, or whatever, and not be a "screen capture" of the "lower" resolution video)?

Basically, I am trying to replace our old, big camcorder, and our camera is on its last leg, and I like the small size, and possibility of only needing to carry one device with me to all of the kids' stuff. My wife usually ends up video taping recitals, band and choir concerts, etc, and I take the still shots. It would be nice to be able to do both at the same time.

Does anyone know if this is possible with these "hybrid" cameras?
My panasonic can do that, so I'm guessing it's a common feature. Keep in mind that still pics from a video camera will pretty much look like crap compared to what you may be used to from digital still cams.
Quote:

My panasonic can do that, so I'm guessing it's a common feature. Keep in mind that still pics from a video camera will pretty much look like crap compared to what you may be used to from digital still cams.

Even though they claim 5 megapixel (on one model), and all this advanced processing, etc?
Nick,

I recently got a new hard disk type camcorder, JVC GZ-MG555U. It is a 5 megapixel still, but you have to switch between video and still modes before you can take a photo. It is pretty quick, but does take about 5 seconds to do it.
That is what I was afraid of. I figured that if you could do it, they would advertise it as a feature....
I just ran into someone last night that just bought a Sony DCR-SR300, and they ARE able to take photos while doing video at the same time. You can only take 3 photos while doing video, but once you stop recording, it must write those to the drive and then you are set for 3 more photos (while doing video), or "unlimited" if not doing video. Not to see if I can find a deal on one and see if I want to actually buy it...
© Axiom Message Boards