Axiom Home Page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

I was cringing from about 5 seconds in until the end.
It sounds to me like she didn't have enough time to properly form her answer. I think she said that Bush is spending too much money in Iraq and not enough on education at home .

Personally, I would have questioned the validity of the survey. What 20% of Americans did they choose for the survey? The 20% that are children, immigrants or blind?
I remember this guy back in college that used to always say (when talking about models)... "Don't ever let them talk." Now I know why...

I do like how she says "U.S. Americans" when referencing people from the United States. Just a botched response all around.
HA! I saw that on break.com too. I had to stop after about a minute, that was too painful. Sad state of US education for sure...
That was spectacularly painful.

There is an easy answer to that question, but no graceful way to handle it. Besides, it'd be easier to point out the U.S. if they'd just stop drawing in all the other countries.
While a box of hammers is not as attractive as she is, it IS smarter.
Ouch.
At least if it were a commercial like this one i could have laughed without the cringe.
Quote:

What 20% of Americans did they choose for the survey? The 20% that are children, immigrants or blind?

I seem to remember a statistic that said 20% of all Americans are illiterate as well, so that would then be the same 20% right?

I too cringed after the first few words, seems like she had a prepared answer in her head for a different question that didn't relate well to this question.
Quote:

I seem to remember a statistic that said 20% of all Americans are illiterate as well, so that would then be the same 20% right?

That could very well be. But that's a sneaky, under-handed, non-transparent way of describing literacy, IMO.
They just showed the clip of Miss South Carolina on Letterman. I love when threads start relating to each other.

And I'm looking forward to Feist's performance.
Yeah, but I heard that the judges were seen nodding their heads in agreement and gave her 9.8 points out of 10 for her answer.
A-ha! I knew that there was a reason for her poor performance.

Behold!

You know, I really don't find her response any less insightful than what Bush comes up with on a regular basis. I don't think we should write off her future as a world leader.
I hear that she is actually a better student than he was; she is an honor roll student, while he was a C student. So it's only up from here, I guess! Sign her up to lead us "U.S. Americans" ...
You guys aren't seriously watchin' that video with the sound turned up, are you?
Man, this thing has exploded.

Here is a video of her parents in the audience.
Quote:

Sign her up to lead us "U.S. Americans" .

Is there some other kind of American for which we are not aware or is this someone's joke about going over the edge regarding political correctness in some anal manner?

Clearly the girl was flustered, but to see her parents knowingly had the speech worked out ahead of time for her, just preposterous.
Kinda like how the father always makes the volcano science experiment every year and the kid really does nothing...

Chess, you know that parent video is a spoof, right?
Quote:

Chess, you know that parent video is a spoof, right?

WHHHAAATTT???

nO WAYYY!!

I wish my parents were a spoof.
CV, i like the latest addition to your hobbies section... "giving up".
Hey, thanks. I actually put a lot of effort into that one, which makes me think I'm doing something wrong.
An 'American' is a vague nationality noun. It pretty much refers to people from Patagonia Argentina up to Canada. It’s like asking a Chinese what nationality he is and he answers, I’m Asian.
U.S American is less vague but if you really want to be anal about it it's still not specific enough. Mexico official name is "United States of Mexico" or "United Mexican States" according to cia fact...
Quote:

Is there some other kind of American for which we are not aware or is this someone's joke about going over the edge regarding political correctness in some anal manner?

Partial list of American countries.

North American Countries

Canada
United States

Central American Countries

Mexico
Guatemala
Costa Rico
Honduras
Panama
etc.

South American Countries

Venezuela
Columbia
Brazil
Ecuador
Chile
etc.
I think 'United States of Mexico' is part of North America. really
http://www.countryreports.org/map/northAmerica.aspx
Quote:

I wish my parents were a spoof.

I think you put the 's' on the wrong side of 'spoof'.
You may well be right. However, Wikipedia led me astray by saying:

"Northern America is used to refer to the northern countries and territories of North America: Canada, the United States, Greenland, Bermuda, and St. Pierre and Miquelon. They are often considered distinct from the southern portion of the Americas, which largely comprise Latin America. The term Middle America is sometimes used to collectively refer to Mexico, the nations of Central America, and the Caribbean."

Refering to that part of the world as "Latin America" or "Middle America" would've been more appropriate, on my part, than Central America. However, they are all American countries, and that was the point. N'est pas?
Ever notice how "spoof" spelled backwards is "Foops"?
Abso-foops-a-lutely.
Ouch, that was painful to watch. One of the video responses to the original post was pretty good.
Quote:

Abso-foops-a-lutely.

Quote:

An 'American' is a vague nationality noun. It pretty much refers to people from Patagonia Argentina up to Canada. It’s like asking a Chinese what nationality he is and he answers, I’m Asian.
U.S American is less vague but if you really want to be anal about it it's still not specific enough. Mexico official name is "United States of Mexico" or "United Mexican States" according to cia fact...

you forgot a state above canada

no worries though, most countries lump AK onto Canada or think it's a country. In Europe, US citizens are refered to as "Yanks", not "Americans".
Well if i ever meet a Canadian who calls themself an American, i'll send out cases of cheap wine to 2 random addresses to the masses of Brazilians that call themselves Americans.

Quote:

I think you put the 's' on the wrong side of 'spoof'.

You are correct.
Quote:

I may be wrong but I think Canada still is the nothern most part of North America way above Alaska(Sirmilik NatPark)... is it ? Or Is Russia claiming that part too?
Quote:

Quote:

I may be wrong but I think Canada still is the nothern most part of North America way above Alaska(Sirmilik NatPark)... is it ? Or Is Russia claiming that part too?

I think this is a good time to watch some Rick Mercer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo
Nice. I will admit I'd go along with some pretty stupid stuff if I was ambushed like that, though. I barely know anything about my own street, let alone my city, state, country, and world.
Quote:

Quote:

After critical analysis and through judicious use of my calibrated Starett dividers on my son's cardboard crafted spinning globe, Alaska is closer to the Northern most (top) pin holding the globe to the thingy.
I'd say that's definitive enough for me.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

After critical analysis and through judicious use of my calibrated Starett dividers on my son's cardboard crafted spinning globe, Alaska is closer to the Northern most (top) pin holding the globe to the thingy.

Not so. Ellsmere Island goes way further North than Alaska. Your globe must dimpled from using it as an indoor soccer ball.

Map of Canada and Alaska
Canada does indeed stretch farther north than Alaska.
i've been ed-u-k-tid.

If Miss S. Carolina is of age I think her best bet is to do a playboy centerfold while she's got her two minutes of fame. Other than marrying well I don't read to much in her future.
Actually she's Miss Teen S.C., and she's in high school. I think she's 17. Any day now she'll be legal!

On a related note, the latest Playmate is 18 years old and was born in April, 1989. It bums me out that the newest centerfold was born when I was a junior in college. Father Time, you suck.
Quote:

On a related note, the latest Playmate is 18 years old and was born in April, 1989. It bums me out that the newest centerfold was born when I was a junior in college. Father Time, you suck.

If it makes you feel any better J.P., this 18 year old playmate is 3 years younger than my son.

THAT SUCKS!
Yeah, hard to get your groove on then.

File this under been there, done that, bought the t-shirt

Am I the only one that thinks the poor girl has taken enough grief without people immortalizing her fo-pah with t-shirts that they will wear for the next 20 years. Leave Miss SC Teen alone, please. In case you-all think I'm wrong about this, please don't tase me, bro!
Don't be such an
Quote:

Am I the only one that thinks the poor girl has taken enough grief without people immortalizing her

People needed a new Jesus, I guess.

SORRY

I think I've just been tazed.
Quote:

People needed a new Jesus, I guess.

I must be dumb but I don't get that joke
Quote:

I must be dumb but I don't get that joke

You're not dumb. It wasn't funny.
the joke hinges on the "immortalizing" part. It's an old rusty, sqeaky hinge. With the hinge-pin missing.
Quote:

It's an old rusty, sqeaky hinge. With the hinge-pin missing.

Hey, we can't all be glistening, lubed, and pinned!
Quote:

Hey, we can't all be glistening, lubed, and pinned!

I believe the correct term is "crucified", not "pinned."

Bren R.
Oh ok, I though there was some sort of comparison between the two and I was picturing some sort of dumb blond Jesus...
© Axiom Message Boards