Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SirQuack Any Legit Home Base business's out there? - 09/11/07 10:53 PM
My wife is a teacher and has her summers off. We were thinking about finding something part time she could do during the summers to make some extra cash from home when the kids are out of school.

The internet is full of Home Based data entry, survey, etc. scams, but I'm sure there are some that are legit. I was curious if any of you have had any experience or are currently using any of the home based offerings successfully?

You can PM me if you don't want to place it for everyone to see. Thanks, Randy
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Any Legit Home Base business's out there? - 09/11/07 11:08 PM
All I can tell you is to stay away from secret/mystery shopping. The programs are rarely worth the effort one puts into them--they certainly don't make you any money.

I speak from having worked for such a company (in an internal position) for a couple of years in college.
Randy, a couple of my wifes friends seem to be doing pretty well selling the Pampered Chef and Tastefully Simple products, every time my wife goes to or hosts a party she manages to spend over $150.00, and it appears that the women selling the products are doing some excellent business.
Thanks guys, I should have been more specific. I would be talking about something computer based. She has been involved in hosting parties for Pampered Chef, Jewelry Parties, etc. We have run across adds for computer type entry, marketing, webbased business, etc.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Any Legit Home Based businesses out there? - 09/12/07 12:20 AM
Without looking at any of them, they still sound kind of scammy to me.
Any thought of starting her own business? I know my wife (also a teacher) and I have thought about this very subject many times ourselves and have never really come up with any solid ideas that could be easily implemented. My is a pretty good graphical artist and we have thought about something along those lines but then you have to do sales to get the businesses in and then there is bookkeeping and more headaches. We have also thought of summer tutoring but that's not much of a change form the rest of the year.

Good Luck.
She does tutor on the side during the school year and makes like $30/hr. I know she could easily get some kids for the summer.
Tutoring is what I was going to recommend also. I have a friend who is doing very well in a fairly new tutoring business!
Posted By: Mojo Re: Any Legit Home Base business's out there? - 09/12/07 02:12 AM
Sounds like she can do web-based tutoring.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Any Legit Home Base business's out there? - 09/12/07 02:36 AM
Another thing to look into is doing medical transcription work for dentists/doctors. I know a few people that do that at home since they had kids (although they wored in doctors' offices previously)

Bren R.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Any Legit Home Base business's out there? - 09/12/07 03:13 AM
Do you have a webcam?
ha ha
Quote:

Do you have a webcam?

Oh yes she does!

Wait, forget I said that. You all heard nothing.

I was not surprised to hear that her screenname was ma'amquack.

Posted By: Murph Re: Any Legit Home Base business's out there? - 09/12/07 11:20 AM
It's been a number of years since I was involved in the e-commerce side of work here but we watched a lot of small web based business start up and fade away in a year or two. The ones that are still running are the ones that found a niche market. Hard to find stuff.

If it's mainstream, you probably can't compete with the pricing of the 'big boys' so you need something that is unusual enough that you will easily grow to be one of the top Googled pages for your product but yet also in demand enough to make money.

Honestly, weather you jump on a pre-existing brand in one of those "get rich with us" companies or start your own business, the success rate is very low.

Don't want to discourage you though. If you make smart decisions, there is an easy $ to be made.

PLus my info is a few years old. The online market could be very different now so take my advice with a grain of sea salt.
A freind of my folks is a farmer confined to a wheelchair by a farming accident. He has people to work the farm and he has taken to trading commodities from his pc. Started out selling his own crops and expanded from there. Word is he does better than ok at it.
A fellow I bowl with plays the stock market from his pc.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Any Legit Home Base business's out there? - 09/13/07 05:00 AM
In the same vein... one of the guys I play hockey with plays online poker... for a living... and makes about what he would at a normal full time job - he's done it about 3 years full-time now.

Bren R.
Posted By: CV Re: Any Legit Home Base business's out there? - 09/13/07 05:12 AM
My coworker's brother does that, too, and that's about all I know about him.
© Axiom Message Boards